What about those times where you have no wifi? With the BlackBerry PlayBook you have access to the web, even when the web is not available via wifi. BlackBerry Bridge is one of the key features the PlayBook offers.
    Do you guys not have tether in the US? (Carrier blocking it?) even a cheapo android device will offer a wifi hotspot, when I want to use my nexus 7 out and about, I just hotspot it to my lumia.
    esk369 and richardat like this.
    10-23-12 03:47 PM
    Do you guys not have tether in the US? (Carrier blocking it?) even a cheapo android device will offer a wifi hotspot, when I want to use my nexus 7 out and about, I just hotspot it to my lumia.
    Bridge does a little more than that
    esk369 likes this.
    10-23-12 03:51 PM
    While I'd love to be able to videochat with my grandkids (who all have iPads) from my pb, I can Skype from my laptop and I know for a fact I'd never be able to get used to the darn button - I try to swipe every device I've tried while wondering aloud why the darn thing isn't working right - lol! Once a swiper, always a swiper.
    10-23-12 03:52 PM
    in all fairness, in the US the carrier love to rape for that feature lol. its ridiculous over here. Most carriers charge another $30 just to tether. What makes it so bad is that if im already paying for 2-5 GB of data a month, i should be able to use that data however i please....but no, carriers essentially charge u twice for the same data just to be able to tether it...but thats an entirely different story lol. I love Bridge for that reason alone because it saves me that $30 a month that carriers would charge me
    10-23-12 03:55 PM
    haha, I've started some pro-RIM threads (borderline anti-Apple threads) back in my day, but that was during my transition period of loving Apple, letting the brainwashing wear off, then hating Apple, and tasting the goodness of Bridge/Flash/Native Wifi-sharing with my Bold 9930/Playbook combo. It was like "Damm, why can't Apple do these things?! I paid $800 for my iPad and STILL have to jailbreak it to do what I want!!!"

Like I said, it was that little transition period where the venom came out. I'm ok now I've moved on and happily awaiting BB10, quietly
    thank you lol. i wish more would take your path
    10-23-12 03:56 PM
    Honestly - I was more interested in this leaked surface review than the ipad mini.
    10-23-12 04:03 PM
    I'm impressed with the Mini. The screen size alone is a great improvement. Seems to be just as portable. It just doesn't have the features I love with the PlayBook. #6 It doesn't have QNX.
    # 7 - no GPS on wifi version.

# 8 - 163 pixels per inch, same as ipad 2 vs playbook 169 pixels per inch.

# 9 ? - may not have flash as I do not see any mention of it in there specs.

# 10 - 1.2MP front camera
    lexsteryo likes this.
    10-23-12 04:03 PM
    thank you lol. i wish more would take your path
    I agree. But it all depends on everyone's transition, and what helped me was a little bit of "venting" here on the boards.

My younger lawyer-cousin argued her pro-Apple points too well for me to get my frustrations off in Facebook LOL!! Lawyers...
    10-23-12 04:07 PM
    kbz1960 and Marty_LK like this.
    10-23-12 04:16 PM
    Hehe...when the iPhone starts languishing, rename it the iPad Micro. Remove the cell radio and charge $100 more for it than an actual iPhone.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 10-23-12 at 05:37 PM.
    10-23-12 04:31 PM
    I agree. But it all depends on everyone's transition, and what helped me was a little bit of "venting" here on the boards.

My younger lawyer-cousin argued her pro-Apple points too well for me to get my frustrations off in Facebook LOL!! Lawyers...
    well the original post from me in this thread wasnt a attack on the OP, and i hope they understand that. I was meant to be more of a general statement. For people that have been here on this site for many years, we've seen it so many times. It's just tiring at this point. It makes my anticipation for BB10 even greater. Not just because i want the software, but to finally give us a competitive product, that way people wont feel the constant need to put down other products to almost seemingly justify their purchase of a product that most would argue is lacking in many areas.

BB10 cant come fast enough
    esk369 and anon(832122) like this.
    10-23-12 04:56 PM
    Oh, yeah, and if I'd just popped for an iPad 3, I'd be seriously bummin' right now. That's why I rarely buy new tech...things slide down the hill so fast these days...
    You should have heard the CNet guys moaning on their live blog. Lot's of angry fan boys and girls right about now...

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Darlaten likes this.
    10-23-12 05:18 PM
    ... and the marketing geniuses at Apple come up with miniPad? As opposed to the original maxiPad, like you know, for heavy data vs light data days?

Seriously, I can hear the high-pitched voices correcting me now: 'it's ipad mini not miniPad!

" 640K ought to be enough for anyone" Bill Gates, 1981

" There will never be a BlackBerry with an MP3 player or camera" Jim Basile, 2005

" 7" tablets are Dead on Arrival" Steve Jobs 2010

keep on spinnin'
    DC506 and esk369 like this.
    10-23-12 05:21 PM
    iPad mini looks as aspected on my side...
    It sure will be a fine device but its priced way to high imo.

330� is atleast 80� to high!
    I wished it was cheaper but after seeing the prices of the latest ipod touch it was clear that the ipad mini wont be any cheaper.

Is it superior to the Playbook? i guess in any way except Bridge and multitasking... but thats it, PBOS has great ideas and benefits but i cant understand all the QNX praise some people do here. Its just another unix based os as far as i know with a custom BB ui, all apple device are the same, based on a unix core with a special apple ui on top... QNX has as far as i can see it no benefits over linux, darwin or any other unix based os. Its the UI that makes the difference... and even tho, as i stated before, pbos has great ideas but you see (atleast i do) that it lacks the development done on android and ios which have been arround for 3-5 more years.
    i hope bb10 will catch up to them as i love the ideas behind it and im happy for everyone who gets the most of their devices still anyone saying that PBos is on par with android 4.X or iOS 5+ is as much of an blinded fanboy as those apple guys they talk down about all the time
    pickles#WP and benshot like this.
    10-23-12 05:58 PM
    It could be the best tablet out there but I still wouldn't buy one. It's not because of any hate on I have for Apple or any kind of perverse love I have for BlackBerry, I just can't stand the UI, I find it fiddly and not particularly intuitive. It runs just like an Apple and that, as far as I'm concerned, is the biggest drawback for any Apple, be it a phone, tablet, laptop or iPod. The second reason is the enclosed environment, and which I could go on about but won't, it's the same argument you've all heard a billion times before. I also don't understand someone's suggestions that uniformity is a benefit too. I use my laptop differently from my PlayBook, my PlayBook I use differently from my phone and therefore the differences are actually a benefit to me, not a hindrance. The first time I tried a PlayBook I found it the most intuitive piece of hardware out there and I still do. It's personal preference, but don't expect me to be toting an Apple product soon.
    sredd68 likes this.
    10-23-12 06:22 PM
    # 8 - 163 pixels per inch, same as ipad 2 vs playbook 169 pixels per inch.
    How can it have the same pixel density when the resolution is the same but the screen size is different? So eager to bash that basic arithmetic goes right out the window?

" 7" tablets are Dead on Arrival" Steve Jobs 2010
    "we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA, dead on arrival." - Steve Jobs, 2010.

keep on spinnin'
    But you're doing such a good job yourself.
    anon(832122) and richardat like this.
    10-23-12 06:35 PM
    "...Five reasons not to be excited about the iPad Mini"

Well I've got 2 at the moment

_ it's an overpriced apple product !

_ i have a RIM/Blackberry 64gb PlayBook which I'm quite happy with, and still learning of other uses for it !!

. . . . . imho
    benshot likes this.
    10-23-12 06:54 PM
    Reason #8:
    Apple will release a Retina model in 2013 anyway! So why even bother.

Just think about the "early adopters" for iPad 3, just to see iPad 4 six months later
    Oh, yeah, and if I'd just popped for an iPad 3, I'd be seriously bummin' right now. That's why I rarely buy new tech...things slide down the hill so fast these days...
    Apple updates the iPad and iPhone every year. This isn't exactly new. Like anything in this field now, you have to expect the new hardware to hit quickly. I don't get why people seem upset or surprised about it.
    10-23-12 06:55 PM
    I personally am SO confused on what apple thinks they will accomplish by pricing the mini so high. They could literally blow the competition out of the water if they had priced the mini at 200 dollars. No disrespect to my PB but apple could own the 7 inch tablet market if the had priced the mini competitively. Why would a person buy a 299 ipod touch when you could buy the mini for 26 dollars more, thus hurting one of their oldest product lines? Why release The New Ipad, just to release a New-er one a few monthes later? I think something seriously wrong is going on at Apple HQ.
    10-23-12 06:58 PM
    Westcoastit posted "but you're doing such a good job yourself"
    Hey I don't have to when St. Steve does it for me:

”The reason we wouldn't make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit a price point. It's because we don't think you can make a great tablet with a 7-inch screen," Jobs said. "The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."

Oh right, it's 7.8"... Completely different
    Last edited by vorpalz; 10-23-12 at 10:55 PM.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    10-23-12 06:58 PM
    The ipad mini is going to come with a sandpaper
    10-23-12 07:07 PM
    I am proud to say I have never owned an Apple product of any kind and probably never will. Read the Steve Jobs bio and no greater a**hole ever lived. Love my BB and will take it with me to the great beyond. Hopefully there's wifi.
    ralfyguy and benshot like this.
    10-23-12 07:07 PM
    How can it have the same pixel density when the resolution is the same but the screen size is different? So eager to bash that basic arithmetic goes right out the window?
    According to specs, the iPad Mini PPI is 162. The Playbook has a PPI of 170 and the Playbook will provide just as much image display of normal widescreen videos as the iPad Mini would.

Playbook dimensions are: 194 x 130 x 10 mm. iPad Mini dimensions are: 200 x 134.7 x 7.2 mm

The Playbook CPU is: Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9. The iPad Mini CPU is: Dual core, 1 GHz, ARM Cortex-A9

The Playbook cameras are: 5MP and 3MP. The iPad Mini cameras are: 5MP and 1.2MP. Both devices record 1080P @ 30FPS. The front camera on the Playbook records 1080P @ 30FPS, the iPad Mini does not.

The Playbook is the clear winner considering it has the better OS and will have BB10
    Cracklen and axllebeer like this.
    10-23-12 07:13 PM
    1 reason for me not to be excited about the iPad Mini: I have a PlayBook.
    10-23-12 07:15 PM
    ill give ya 5 reasons, lol...1.2.3.4.5.
    10-23-12 07:39 PM
153 1234 ...