A few weeks ago the rumors spread like a forest fire, Apple would be launching the iPad Mini. The rumor is no longer a rumor, it's real. Apple's jump into the smaller tablet space has millions of people excited, but here are some reasons not to be excited if you own a BlackBerry PlayBook.

Same But Different.

The iPad Mini offers the same options as the other iPads but is shrunken, or it is simply a bigger iPhone. The PlayBook is built on a still new operating system named QNX, which RIM continues to refine. Even when the PlayBook has BlackBerry 10 OS on it, the phone and tablet will be far from the same.

Landscape it.

One of the best features of the BlackBerry PlayBook is that the default and suggested use, are in landscape format. Landscape allows for so much more space to work with when typing or browsing the web.

Small world.

Even at about eight inches the IPad Mini is still not that Mini compared to the BlackBerry PlayBook at about seven inches. The PlayBook can fit just about anywhere. On multiple occasions I even had the PlayBook in my back pocket.

No bridging together.

What about those times where you have no wifi? With the BlackBerry PlayBook you have access to the web, even when the web is not available via wifi. BlackBerry Bridge is one of the key features the PlayBook offers.

It's not a BlackBerry.

Simply put, the Mini is no BlackBerry product. The facts are evident. BlackBerry products are built with a foundation of security and reliability. Most BlackBerry users would probably give up a few apps in exchange for security because that's what makes BlackBerry unique.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry PlayBook owners: Five reasons not to be excited about the iPad Mini-playbook-vs-ipad.jpg  
    10-23-12 01:22 PM
    The screen size might be bigger, but the bezel around the screen looks thin as compared t0 the PB. So it's possible that the size of the actual device will be close?
    10-23-12 01:26 PM
    i think they said the camera is only 5mp too. i think thats what our playbooks have
    10-23-12 01:28 PM
    f*** apple. I'll get it only if they offer me for free - but that's almost impossible.
    lexsteryo, bitek, gjohnsto and 2 others like this.
    10-23-12 01:31 PM
    i think they said the camera is only 5mp too. i think thats what our playbooks have
    And dual-band WiFi...just like our 18 month old Playbooks!

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    lexsteryo, BBPandy and axllebeer like this.
    10-23-12 01:39 PM
    Who cares, wrong form factor according to Steve Jobs, and wasn't he God? Or at least that's what all the apple toting, media bias people would like us to believe.. Ohhh hail to Steve Jobs, the technical genius God!!! ipad mini, big deal or have they paid the press enough to call this the next apple innovation!?!?
    axeman1000 and eddy_berry like this.
    10-23-12 01:46 PM
    Reason #6:
    If I come home with yet another tablet my wife will put me out of the house!
    10-23-12 01:47 PM
    Why keep making these threads? Seriously...always comparing a RIM product to an Apple product. It makes BB users seem almost secretly jealous or something. I have no interest at all in purchasing a ipad mini as I am happy with my PlayBook but these threads don't need to happen every single time apple drops a new product. Most BB users won't admit it, but there are plenty of features I would love to see on my BB that apple already has
    10-23-12 01:58 PM
    Reason #7:
    I just KNOW I'm gonna get frustrated at some point by not having something on the iPad mini that my Playbook can do - like the Bridge, FLASH, or Wifi-sharing.
    lexsteryo, kbz1960 and Bobert_123 like this.
    10-23-12 02:00 PM
    Why keep making these threads? Seriously...always comparing a RIM product to an Apple product. It makes BB users seem almost secretly jealous or something. I have no interest at all in purchasing a ipad mini as I am happy with my PlayBook but these threads don't need to happen every single time apple drops a new product. Most BB users won't admit it, but there are plenty of features I would love to see on my BB that apple already has
    Indeed, I am secretly jealous, I admit it... The iPad is clean, crisp, and well-supported by many many apps.

Amazingly enough though, my mom has more use for it with Bejeweled Blitz than I did with it trying to keep up with Jailbreaking just to make it do the things I really wanted it to do. As frustrated as I am with the Playbook, I'm happier
    lexsteryo and Bobert_123 like this.
    10-23-12 02:08 PM
    I love my PlayBook and don't really plan to switch to anything different.. But I don't really like people Apple bashing just for the sake of bashing..
    It remains a matter of personal choice again..

Same But Different.

The iPad Mini offers the same options as the other iPads but is shrunken, or it is simply a bigger iPhone. The PlayBook is built on a still new operating system named QNX, which RIM continues to refine. Even when the PlayBook has BlackBerry 10 OS on it, the phone and tablet will be far from the same.

Landscape it.

One of the best features of the BlackBerry PlayBook is that the default and suggested use, are in landscape format. Landscape allows for so much more space to work with when typing or browsing the web.

Small world.

Even at about eight inches the IPad Mini is still not that Mini compared to the BlackBerry PlayBook at about seven inches. The PlayBook can fit just about anywhere. On multiple occasions I even had the PlayBook in my back pocket.
    1. iOS was Apple's BB10 5 or 6 years ago.. Their innovation.. And they have stood by what they designed and refined it.. I don't see them making radical changes to what they believe in.. Once BB10 reaches its refinement I don't think it is going to change much over the years..
    Completely different matter that I think BB10 UI is cool and awesome

2. My Dad has an iPad and the landscape mode works just as great as portrait IMO..

3. Well.. The PlayBook is not 7 inches.. Diagonal is 9 inches (bezel?).. I don't think anyone knows the exact dimensions of the ipad mini.. Depends very much on their bezel size..

Positives I see on the onset:
    1. It is really thin and light.. (Which Apple is marketing too)
    2. Usually Apple comes up with good battery life with their product thanks to their OS (unlike Android) and great processor (it is running a dual core A5 i believe)

At the end of the day the Megapixels mean nothing if the sensor is not good.. Apple is know for its good quality camera in its products.. We have to wait for hands on for true photo comparison (which I think Apple will win)..

Still I'm very happy with my PlayBook and gonna stay with it..
    10-23-12 02:11 PM
    agreed , Love my PlayBook. no need for any new tablet at this point.

Sent from my BlackBerry By Choice Tapatalk
    lexsteryo and Rello like this.
    10-23-12 02:12 PM
    Another reason - I don't want to be one of the millions who will buy it within the next month!
    10-23-12 02:15 PM
    The only reason I need to not be excited about the iPad Mini is the price. The components are not worth that premium, especially because the tablet market has been continuously growing. I know the price drop was unintentional, but you can buy a Playbook with better specs for $150.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-23-12 02:22 PM
    Reason #8:
    Apple will release a Retina model in 2013 anyway! So why even bother.

Just think about the "early adopters" for iPad 3, just to see iPad 4 six months later
    kozmo68, fanatical and esk369 like this.
    10-23-12 02:24 PM
    I hate home button. no flash. 64Gb for over $500. no true multitasking.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    fanatical likes this.
    10-23-12 02:27 PM
    Right. I'm really glad I got my Playbook two months ago for $135 shipped. I was thinking about waiting to see how Apple would price the mini, but reasoned that Apple would not try and go at the $200 price point - they have never wanted to complete on price. I'm very happy with the Playbook, it runs well and does all that I really NEED on a tablet. I think the 7-8" tablet space is getting very crowded and there will be blood, but not as much blood as if Apple had priced the mini to start at, say, $250 to go head to head with the 16gb Nexus 7. I do imagine the screen size is going to be an important differentiator for Apple. It's NOT a 7" tablet, it's an 8" tablet, and that will help many Christmas purchasers, and parents buying for kids, justify the higher entry price. If money were not as big a factor for me, an 8" screen would certainly be nice. My 50+ year old eyes do squint a bit on the Playbook, but I'm adapting.
    lexsteryo and benshot like this.
    10-23-12 02:29 PM
    Oh, yeah, and if I'd just popped for an iPad 3, I'd be seriously bummin' right now. That's why I rarely buy new tech...things slide down the hill so fast these days...
    10-23-12 02:31 PM
    Right. I'm really glad I got my Playbook two months ago for $135 shipped. I was thinking about waiting to see how Apple would price the mini, but reasoned that Apple would not try and go at the $200 price point - they have never wanted to complete on price. I'm very happy with the Playbook, it runs well and does all that I really NEED on a tablet. I think the 7-8" tablet space is getting very crowded and there will be blood, but not as much blood as if Apple had priced the mini to start at, say, $250 to go head to head with the 16gb Nexus 7. I do imagine the screen size is going to be an important differentiator for Apple. It's NOT a 7" tablet, it's an 8" tablet, and that will help many Christmas purchasers, and parents buying for kids, justify the higher entry price. If money were not as big a factor for me, an 8" screen would certainly be nice. My 50+ year old eyes do squint a bit on the Playbook, but I'm adapting.
    yep, $250 would have been killer!

My coworker consulted with me 2 weeks ago about Kindle Fire HD or Nexus 7 and I told him iPad mini. He fired back and said he wasn't gonna pay $350 for his 10yo daughter. He was close, closer than what I thought which was $250. Bummer for folks watching their pockets/purses closely, especially for gifts
    10-23-12 02:36 PM
    ipad mini
    Height:
    7.87 inches (200 mm)
    Width:
    5.3 inches (134.7 mm)
    Depth:
    0.28 inch (7.2 mm)
    Weight:
    0.68 pound (308 g)

screen size is 7.8inches

playbook
    Dimensions Height 194 mm (7.6 in)
    Width 130 mm (5.1 in) W
    Depth 9.7 mm (0.38 in) D
    Weight 425 grams (0.94 lb)

Screen size 7 inches

I must say while I love my playbook if they made the next playbook the same screen size as the Ipad mini I would be extremely happy. The bezel on the playbook doesnt need to be that big for the gestures to work (which is the best thing on the playbook). Just look at the dev alpha the bezel is not that big on it on the sides sooo....I think they can decrease the bezel size on the playbook but keep the playbook the same size!!! That would that create fragmentation though right?? I think so. What do you guys think
    10-23-12 02:38 PM
    @cleveland216

That's fine lol. Like I said,I love myPlayBook. The Ipad while I do believeis a excellent product, just doesnt interest me at this time....but people starting these threads is completely pointless. What's the point? Do they have some agenda to put down any product that they know is better or that will outsell a RIM product? It just gets tiring. It adds nothing to these forums. I'd hate to see how some of these people would be acting if RIM ever made it back to the top...
    esk369 likes this.
    10-23-12 02:47 PM
    The extra 0.8" and more will be useless with the letter boxing of HD video. I bet the SPEAKER on that little puppy would wake the neighbors....lol
    10-23-12 02:54 PM
    I believe the Playbook, especially with BB10, has a serious chance to outshine the new iPad Mini in the eyes of the common customer. I see nothing about the little iPad that is better than the Playbook. They are both the same overall size. They both have a similar display resolution. But the Playbook has a much cleaner and more user-friendly interface. Since the 2.1 update for the Playbook, it has been significantly more pleasant in operation with Android apps and the stock browser.
    lexsteryo and melb_me like this.
    10-23-12 03:16 PM
    I'm impressed with the Mini. The screen size alone is a great improvement. Seems to be just as portable. It just doesn't have the features I love with the PlayBook. #6 It doesn't have QNX.
    Marty_LK and lexsteryo like this.
    10-23-12 03:27 PM
    @cleveland216

That's fine lol. Like I said,I love myPlayBook. The Ipad while I do believeis a excellent product, just doesnt interest me at this time....but people starting these threads is completely pointless. What's the point? Do they have some agenda to put down any product that they know is better or that will outsell a RIM product? It just gets tiring. It adds nothing to these forums. I'd hate to see how some of these people would be acting if RIM ever made it back to the top...
    haha, I've started some pro-RIM threads (borderline anti-Apple threads) back in my day, but that was during my transition period of loving Apple, letting the brainwashing wear off, then hating Apple, and tasting the goodness of Bridge/Flash/Native Wifi-sharing with my Bold 9930/Playbook combo. It was like "Damm, why can't Apple do these things?! I paid $800 for my iPad and STILL have to jailbreak it to do what I want!!!"

Like I said, it was that little transition period where the venom came out. I'm ok now I've moved on and happily awaiting BB10, quietly
    Marty_LK, Rello, cutexoxo and 1 others like this.
    10-23-12 03:34 PM
153 123 ...