doing a wipe and reinstall of the latest beta has been working excellent for me..... had a few problems prior, but all is good now!~!
    09-18-12 04:00 PM
    As I wasn't expecting the update, this doesn't disappoint me. What I really want to try is the SMS over bridge.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    09-18-12 04:02 PM
    LOL par for the course. I have to laugh because it was expected, by me anyway.

Oh well what's the battery life expectancy? Or do they give a new PB out with 2.1 or BB10 when it comes? Good thing the thing is still useful for me anyway.
    Sadly I was expecting it too so no surprises here. I've gotten to where I just don't expect anything anymore that way if I don't ever get it I won't be disappointed. I was one of the fortunate ones that downloaded .668 and it didn't turn my pb into a bbq or cause a massive battery drain. There are a few quirks that I can deal with so it's all good. Love my pb but am getting so fed up with this stuff.
    ralfyguy and esk369 like this.
    09-18-12 04:02 PM
    I don't understand why the heck CrackBerry has to be the first to post this, then look silly and take it down.

There are enough !diots out there who don't understand, now they're spinning it as a RIM delay. FURTHER to that, the UPDATE on the post now passes the buck on to RIM? Was there a direct link to the originating source, orrrrrr...????
    I think CrackBerry was trying to give us hope that RIM could actually put out a working OS update. Sadly, they were wrong.
    09-18-12 04:11 PM
    Maybe this is progress?

After all, RIM pulling the rumour shortly after release has to be less traumatic than pulling the OS shortly after release (again).

Do you think RIM take special classes in how to make themselves look stupid and incompetent?
    09-18-12 04:25 PM
    I don't understand why the heck CrackBerry has to be the first to post this, then look silly and take it down.

There are enough !diots out there who don't understand, now they're spinning it as a RIM delay. FURTHER to that, the UPDATE on the post now passes the buck on to RIM? Was there a direct link to the originating source, orrrrrr...????
    Calm your pickle. If we didn't post it and knew about it you'd be saying the opposite. At the time, it was good info and then it got reversed. It was posted as a rumor / speculation and it is what it is. Get over it.

(Do I dare even mention RIM also let a Twitter update out the door and then had to pull it, because it was broken for some?)
    09-18-12 04:29 PM
    Do you think RIM take special classes in how to make themselves look stupid and incompetent?
    Absolutely not!

RIM teaches classes on how to look stupid and incompetent.
    balding1 and sagec like this.
    09-18-12 04:32 PM
    Calm your pickle. If we didn't post it and knew about it you'd be saying the opposite. At the time, it was good info and then it got reversed. It was posted as a rumor / speculation and it is what it is. Get over it.
    So it is off the table and one can stop pressing the "check for updates" button??
    09-18-12 04:32 PM
    I looked and didn't find anything and also no one asked in this thread so I'm gonna go and ask, what happens when the OFFICIAL update comes out and some of us are on the beta, would it be better to install the official update (will there be more in it than the beta?) or wait and install a beta update above 2.1.840 we have now already? know what I mean?
    09-18-12 04:35 PM
    So it is off the table and one can stop pressing the "check for updates" button??
    As noted on the front page:

*UPDATE* - As noted previously, RIM has a habit of switching dates at the last minute and this release seems to be once again placed on hold for the time being for whatever reason. Back to playing the waiting game. Sorry folks!
    PowderJockey likes this.
    09-18-12 04:36 PM
    I looked and didn't find anything and also no one asked in this thread so I'm gonna go and ask, what happens when the OFFICIAL update comes out and some of us are on the beta, would it be better to install the official update (will there be more in it than the beta?) or wait and install a beta update above 2.1.840 we have now already? know what I mean?
    You can just update from the beta, it'll be a higher version that you're updating to. And another beta, likely won't come right away so it's better to just take the official and wait until another beta gets announced.
    bungaboy and louzer like this.
    09-18-12 04:37 PM
    Wouldn't have known I missed anything if it wasn't for this thread. I'm already on 2.1 beta. Works fine. Any new features and improvements would be nice, but I'm not sitting around giving my PB dirty looks because it's not here.
    bungaboy, pcguy514, louzer and 1 others like this.
    09-18-12 04:38 PM
    It happens. I'd rather have Crackberry extending itself to get something beyond official statements and press releases, or links to other sites. Sometimes you make judgments, you take risks. If Crackberry never had a miss, that would be a sure sign you guys weren't taking enough risks and pushing the envelope.

I can wait another while, although it did get me going when I read it. By the time I logged on, the [False Alarm] was already appended to the title, but hope being what it is, I read right past it. I have been having some wifi issues and it would sure be nice to have predictive text even while using a BT keyboard. Other than that, I'm sitting on BB10 anyway.
    RWB3325 and thatplaybookguy like this.
    09-18-12 04:39 PM
    Wouldn't have known I missed anything if it wasn't for this thread. I'm already on 2.1 beta. Works fine. Any new features and improvements would be nice, but I'm not sitting around giving my PB dirty looks because it's not here.
    The issue is more that developers aren't going to release things that work on the 2.1 beta that don't on 2.0 (or don't work as well, such as almost every android port imaginable, 2.0 is a joke for that)...

So in a sense it holds back the app ecosystem because the update isn't officially releasing.
    09-18-12 04:41 PM
    It happens. I'd rather have Crackberry extending itself to get something beyond official statements and press releases, or links to other sites. Sometimes you make judgments, you take risks. If Crackberry never had a miss, that would be a sure sign you guys weren't taking enough risks and pushing the envelope.
    Exactly, and the info came from a source who has been accurate on all accounts for me personally. No one knew the email would then be retracted internally. I'm not intentionally "passing the buck" onto RIM, just telling it like it is. The update was set and RIM pulled it back for whatever reason. Nothing more, nothing less. That's the reality of the situation.
    bungaboy and Chaddface like this.
    09-18-12 04:43 PM
    wonder if it has to do with the exFat agreement and a last minute switch to the platform?
    09-18-12 04:46 PM
    ... to get something beyond official statements and press releases, ....
    RIM does official statements and press releases??? ...

I didn't realise Twitter counted.
    sagec likes this.
    09-18-12 04:51 PM
    Honestly i've been running 2.1 beta since it is been released and it is nothing else but joy to use. i am almost certain that once official 2.1 comes out i will not even tell the difference anyways.
    MrNutt likes this.
    09-18-12 05:28 PM
    @ Bla1ze, think that you need to drop that source if he/she has been wrong twice before this. I could start sending you emails claiming that I work for RIM if you want, using guesses when it will come out!
    09-18-12 05:30 PM
    At this point I don't care if they release 2.1 or not. Its been long over due that they should have release 2.1 a year ago. They are releasing their crap as fast as Commodore released their stuff back in the day and look what happen to Commodore, where are they now?

I will probably download 2.1 when it comes out and see nothing really new about it, there will be most likely no new fancy interfaces changes making it boring and dull that it won't help RIM's growth or sales at all.
    MrNutt likes this.
    09-18-12 05:31 PM
    I got excited ,I got mad,I got over it. It'll get here when its ready. I just hope its good. I hope there is a little something extra than what we already know about.
    09-18-12 05:46 PM
    Sigh, I like Blackberry (love my Bold and my Playbook) but these delays are getting a little bit annoying. I understand the delay with BB10 phones, they wanted to make the software smooth and bring out a finished product, but software updates for an existing device that were supposed to be out a while ago according to when news of the 2.1 update first came out, COME ON RIM!! Don't do this to the people who still care about your devices.
    bodjor likes this.
    09-18-12 05:52 PM
    At this point I don't care if they release 2.1 or not. Its been long over due that they should have release 2.1 a year ago. They are releasing their crap as fast as Commodore released their stuff back in the day and look what happen to Commodore, where are they now?

I will probably download 2.1 when it comes out and see nothing really new about it, there will be most likely no new fancy interfaces changes making it boring and dull that it won't help RIM's growth or sales at all.
    If this was true you wouldn't be hawking this thread to see if it is out yet lol. Someone is getting anxious to absolutely download lol.
    09-18-12 05:52 PM
    LOL par for the course. I have to laugh because it was expected, by me anyway.

Oh well what's the battery life expectancy? Or do they give a new PB out with 2.1 or BB10 when it comes? Good thing the thing is still useful for me anyway.

Battery life is noticeably improved, at least from my own perspective. The beta has issues though. My Playbook no longer charges while connected to my PC (it still charges through wall plug though). Also, things seem noticeably less smooth.. choppy, even.. the animations, when you are sliding between programs, or opening and closing folders, that kind of thing. It isn't consistently choppy, though. Basically it wasn't like that before I put 2.1 beta on, so I know it's an issue with the beta.

I wonder if RIM added some kind of undervolting/clocking capability to this version of the OS.. it would explain the better battery life as well as the decrease in animation smoothness. Maybe the CPU only runs at full chug when it absolutely needs to now, and the voltage/speed scales accordingly, as controlled by the OS.
    Last edited by BennyX; 09-18-12 at 05:58 PM.
    09-18-12 05:53 PM
    So I know I should probably just wait and see, but does anyone know if the new version of bridge will block internet access like the last one did? Thankfully Rorry provided the bridge update that did not block internet access.
    09-18-12 05:53 PM
177 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD