12-29-15 12:08 PM
312 ... 678910 ...
tools
    I have produced a simple step by step guide on how to get ALL the default applications for your Blackberry Playbook (Normally restricted to US users only). Tell me what you think.
    You should make a thread on this im sure people would love this. The only thing im missing is the video store, did you have any luck using it? (your outside the USA i assume)
    02-25-12 09:56 PM
    I've tried 3 times and it says I have the latest software installed.

Wonder if they plugged the leak with that IP?
    02-25-12 11:51 PM
    I've tried 3 times and it says I have the latest software installed.

Wonder if they plugged the leak with that IP?
    They can try, but there are dozens thousands of them that can be used. It's impossible for them to track each one down. Here's a list with more. Remember only use US based ones.
    02-26-12 12:29 AM
    You should make a thread on this im sure people would love this. The only thing im missing is the video store, did you have any luck using it? (your outside the USA i assume)
    I managed to load up the store just fine --but only when using the proxy. I personally wouldn't use it anyway though. I just wanted the Podcasts app, which I just remembered is for US AND Canadian users.
    02-26-12 12:32 AM
    Is there a best way to conserve battery life when not using the pb? Before the update, I would keep it on standby and the battery would last me at least two or three days (maybe three days is pushing it) since I'm not a heavy user. But since the update, there are days I only use the pb maybe a few times, for a few minutes at a time, but the battery will drain like mad. I will even keep it on standby for a few hours and notice the battery is still draining. Maybe I should keep it on lock? Would that help? Does anybody have any advice or notice that the new OS is draining the battery a lot faster?
    try turning off the wifi when in standby
    02-26-12 01:34 AM
    Hi everyone

Query - I downloaded the update, set up my e-mail accounts on the native email etc. All OK. Problem is that when I disable the Wi Fi, the messages stop getting downloaded to the native messages application, but they continue getting downloaded to the BB Bridge as usual.

So what happens when I am in a non Wi Fi area in terms of messages getting downloaded to the native messages app?

How can I ensure that if I am not in a WiFI environment, that messages continue to get downloaded / uploaded from the messages application (just like they continue to do so via BB Bridge). In other words, how can I get the native messages app to use my phone data plan to download / upload messages wqhen I am not in a WiFi environment?

Thanks in advance!
    02-26-12 03:32 AM
    BerryMumbai, Easy, Get another phone that have Build in
    Personal Hotspot or WiFi Tethering, So it can Share the 3G
    internet to your playbook...! eg: iPhone or Android Phone.....
    02-26-12 04:29 AM
    Thanks Talon but I'm pretty happy with my BB Torch. With WiFi off or not available, I can still browse the web on the PB using the BB browser which would obviously be riding piggyback on my Torch data plan. Also, I can continue to get all my messages on the PB through the BB Bridge which is again happening in a non WiFi environment. So I find it strange why the same messages cannot get downloaded to the native mail client using the data plan of the phone.

Grateful for any help.
    02-26-12 06:01 AM
    In order to get the android player on my PB do I have to go through the development mode, or is there now a user friendly way?
    02-26-12 07:59 AM
    You're right, there is some functionality there, but another thing to consider is platforms. Email providers have the capability to specify certain services for one device/platform, and deny them for another. Hence it could work on your 9900 and not your playbook. My guess is that since OS 2.0 is so new, alot of providers have yet to "turn it on" so to say for the playbook because there was never a need before. Give it a few weeks and i bet we'll see alot more providers enable features like push and others. Hope this helps! Cheers!

Cheers man, that's a useful post, again, much appreciated. One other hope is now they are using ActiveSync that I can set the times of the day (on/off peak) to sync, so I can use my personal mail after six pm but not be bothered by work mails etc. One of the benefits of the MS approach - I don't want to be "always on" with all accounts. Nor do I want to have to manually refresh.
    newbiee likes this.
    02-26-12 08:09 AM
    They can try, but there are dozens thousands of them that can be used. It's impossible for them to track each one down. Here's a list with more. Remember only use US based ones.
    Am I doing something wrong, or should I keep trying different IPs?

"Could not connect with update server. Please check your wifi settings."

or

"There was an error connecting to the update server. Please try again later. (0)"

Thanks.
    Last edited by InnoD; 02-26-12 at 10:21 AM.
    02-26-12 09:37 AM
    Am I doing something wrong, or should I keep trying different IPs?

"Could not connect with update server. Please check your wifi settings."

or

"There was an error connecting to the update server. Please try again later. (0)"

Thanks.
    It could be their update servers. I checked just recently without the proxy and it was giving the same message. I'd say just give them a little time and the error will go away.
    InnoD likes this.
    02-26-12 10:42 AM
    I have a playbook with the new operating system 2.0. I have a hotmail account for email. I do not have a Blackberry phone. I have a Windows Phone on the Rogers network. I therefore do not use bridge functionality with the playbook, just wifi.

What I expect to happen with native email on my playbook.

Notify me with the red led blinking and a audible notification within a few seconds/minutes of hotmail receiving the email.

What I am experiencing instead :

Email messages are pushed to my windows Phone fine like normal. I am not getting notified that I have a new message on my playbook. Either it takes a long time...8 hours for one example. Or it won't push out a notification until I turn wifi off and on on the playbook. Or I manually request email to be refreshed by pulling down on the messages. Either way PUSH notification should be working and it doesn't seem to be.

I believe it may have something to do with our home wifi network because at work on wifi I am not encountering this same delay. In many cases the Playbook notifies me just prior to my Windows Phone buzzing (at work). But as to what differences in wifi networks could cause this wonkiness I do not know. If anyone else has encountered a similar issue with wifi and push notifications...let me know. And if you have a solution...even better.
    02-26-12 12:23 PM
    So after downloading the OS 2.0 software update how exactly do you download and use android apps?
    02-26-12 02:47 PM
    Through appworld. Or side load. Bar files
    02-26-12 07:58 PM
    I'll try here before starting a thread for this one.

Q: Is there a way to turn OFF calendar reminders?

While I want calendar information synchronized to my PlayBook to reference now & again, it will never be a 'primary' device that needs to remind me of upcoming meetings.

When in the Calendar, and viewing Calendar Settings, there is an option "DEFAULT MEETING REMINDER". I believe this is applicable only to creating new calendar entries, not specific to the visual reminder.

No sense having reminders pop-up & trigger the LED when the PlayBook is shoved away in my bag while @ work/home. In these cases, I rely on my work computer or my BB to remind me.

Might be an argument for Bridge PIM instead of native I suppose.
    there's 2 places that deals with notifications:
    • in the Main options under Sounds & Notifications
    • the Default Meeting Reminder settings in the calender itself

The default setting in the calender itself controls both audio and visual (and/or LED) notifications
    (and yes, default meeting reminder setting affects only the future entries.)

In the main options you can change the audio and visual notifications seperately.
    However, the settings here affect both the calender and messages apps (and the bridged task, but I don't think you're using it, right?)

In your case, you can turn off the notification reminders altogether under "Reminder" within each of the "meetings", but you'll have to do that to all of your future reminders that you've already set, so an alternative I'd suggest would be to turn down the audio notifications and set the visual notifications to "Glow Only" for the time being.
    02-26-12 09:58 PM
    is my battery normal?3:03pm @ 69%, put on standby, with everything off,screen lowest settings, , now 10:30pm, its at @ 63%
    02-26-12 10:35 PM
    Hi everyone

Query - I downloaded the update, set up my e-mail accounts on the native email etc. All OK. Problem is that when I disable the Wi Fi, the messages stop getting downloaded to the native messages application, but they continue getting downloaded to the BB Bridge as usual.

So what happens when I am in a non Wi Fi area in terms of messages getting downloaded to the native messages app?

How can I ensure that if I am not in a WiFI environment, that messages continue to get downloaded / uploaded from the messages application (just like they continue to do so via BB Bridge). In other words, how can I get the native messages app to use my phone data plan to download / upload messages wqhen I am not in a WiFi environment?

Thanks in advance!
    This has been covered in a few other threads, but the possible answer is for the type of account you have. If it's POP3 or IMAP then they both require WiFi to sync correctly - they will not work off Bridge.

BerryReview posted an article detailing what services work on Bridge and what require WiFi and those 2 email variations were listed as needing WiFi (which I can confirm as my work email operates off a pop3, yet my gmail functions through Bridge just fine).

Hope this helps you with your problem. Currently there's no solution to those 2 account issues yet, but we're only a week into the new OS so time will tell if they figure how to enable the NOC through Bridge, or if it will only be fixed through an on-board radio (eg: 3G+ or 4G/LTE).
    Fuzzballz and Sergeant HCR like this.
    02-27-12 10:13 AM
    I have produced a simple step by step guide on how to get ALL the default applications for your Blackberry Playbook (Normally restricted to US users only). Tell me what you think.
    Dude, Epic Meal Time ftmfw! This is how we do it, with BACON!!
    02-27-12 10:25 AM
    I would like to get rid of some of the stuff that comes with the blackberry, like the search eng. and a couple of other programs.Would there be any way to delete them, like the photos that comes with the play book. I would like to add my own in the wall paper section and dump their pre-loaded ones. Just stuff like that, same with the tourch phone the junk from my service provider that I would not use.
    02-27-12 10:55 AM
    Dude, Epic Meal Time ftmfw! This is how we do it, with BACON!!
    Did it work for you?

I've been trying since yesterday and keep getting a message when I click on Check for Updates:

Is there something left out of the instructions? I am following the process exactly.
    02-27-12 11:21 AM
    HI all i have a playbook that was iso 1 and i had icons for Hotmail and Gmail and Yahoo i was using the 2 os beta and i still had the icons installed 2 os and have icons for Hotmail Gmail and Yahoo but no video store ,podcast and i don't get the bottom dock thing it looks the same as it always did the dock is at the top with all icons under it like in the beta and 1 os. i did not do a data wipe so i went ok no video store was really looking forward to that ( i like to watch movies in bed on my playbook) so i did a Factory reset for the BlackBerry PlayBook using the BB desktop software .when that was done my icons for Hotmail and Gmail and Yahoo are gone still no video store the dock is still up the the top am i missing something or are the icrons for Hotmail and Gmail and Yahoo gone in 2 os ? but i had them before when i first install 2os

any iders

ps and the power/on off icon is now gone as well
    02-27-12 10:19 PM
    This has been covered in a few other threads, but the possible answer is for the type of account you have. If it's POP3 or IMAP then they both require WiFi to sync correctly - they will not work off Bridge.

BerryReview posted an article detailing what services work on Bridge and what require WiFi and those 2 email variations were listed as needing WiFi (which I can confirm as my work email operates off a pop3, yet my gmail functions through Bridge just fine).

Hope this helps you with your problem. Currently there's no solution to those 2 account issues yet, but we're only a week into the new OS so time will tell if they figure how to enable the NOC through Bridge, or if it will only be fixed through an on-board radio (eg: 3G+ or 4G/LTE).
    Hey DL thank you very much for your reply. Yes, as you probably predicted, my accounts are POP accounts. Excuse the ignorance - but I cannot get my head around why this should be an issue. Is it correct to say that all messages come through some sort of internet access - whether through WiFi or the Sim card data plan ? If so, then it does not make sense why syncing can take place in the message application through internet access generated by Wifi but not internet access coming through the bridge browser.
    02-28-12 02:49 AM
    Hey DL thank you very much for your reply. Yes, as you probably predicted, my accounts are POP accounts. Excuse the ignorance - but I cannot get my head around why this should be an issue. Is it correct to say that all messages come through some sort of internet access - whether through WiFi or the Sim card data plan ? If so, then it does not make sense why syncing can take place in the message application through internet access generated by Wifi but not internet access coming through the bridge browser.
    The best that I can think of is what a friend recommended to me the other day in that IMAP and POP3 require the SSL verification that might not be capable of being processed over bluetooth via Bridge, which would explain why it needs a secure WiFi connection to verify whatever settings it needs. Not sure how much truth there is to this or if RIM can back it up, but it's an interesting point to mull over.
    schiri likes this.
    02-28-12 10:21 AM
    The account setup on my playbook os2 keeps processing...looking for something. I can do nothing else from this screen. I have a hotmail and linkedin account setup they were previously working ok.

The hotmail icon in the mailbox says cannont connect to servere but when I tap on itit says unabl to connect to server.
    03-01-12 01:57 AM
312 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD