I'm hoping someone on Crackberry can help me with this as no one else has been able to. I had a flawless update to 2.0. My playbook rebooted after the update no problem. Played around with the new features, made some folders, browsed the web...everything worked fine. Turned my playbook off for the night. The next day I went to turn it on.....and it froze on the startup screen (where it says Blackberry Playbook with the colorful circles). Since then I have done EVERYTHING possible to get it to boot up (multiple soft resets, hard resets, reloaded the OS from DM three times, left it on overnight and plugged in to try and get passed startup screen). NOTHING HAS WORKED. It simply will not get passed the startup screen! WTF??!! This is really making me angry. My PlayBook is a useless paperweight now. Any other suggestions other than soft/hard reset or reloading the OS from Desktop Manager?
    Are you still having problems? I'll message you...
    02-23-12 08:53 AM
    I updated to OS 2.0 and I am unable to start any android apps like dolphin browser and wordpress apps.....I downloaded them and I click on it and nothing happens...those apps are not running....I restarted it like 3 times.....still no change....What do I do? Please I wanted to play with android launchers in PB and I waited forever for the Official 2.0 update
    It sounds like your update got interrupted or corrupted or something. I think if you've done several hard resets, the next thing to do would be to do what's called "debricking", some GREAT instructions are below:

If you get stuck and your OS does not finish the update, and you have ruled out any wifi issues..

Make sure your Playbook has at least 20% battery, or better at 40%.
    Also make sure there is a wireless signal available for the finishing of the process.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update from the popup. It will take awhile.
    Thanks jafobabe!

Hope that helps. Cheers!
    02-23-12 08:59 AM
    Is there a way to set up Autotext?
    Thanks!
    B.
    The playbook has the predictive text suggestions that appear at the top of your keyboard, but past that, i believe that is all it does.

BTW for anyone else who is just annoyed by the word suggestions as i was, there is a way to turn it off! It's one of the the keyboard options in options. Cheers!
    02-23-12 09:04 AM
    Hi all - i seem to be having an issue accessing BBM via bridge since upgrading to PB OS 2.0 - when i click on the BBM icon on my PB it looks as if it is opening and then it just disappears - i have uninstalled Bridge, and i am running 7.1 on my Bold 9900
    Two things to look for:

Do any of your BBM contacts have special characters in their names? Like: !@&*^$*&# ???, if so, change their names to standard letters and numbers and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, try deleting your bridge completely, rebooting your phone and then downloading and installing bridge again from here:
    RROYY - APPLICATIONS

Some carriers try to lock down bridge for their own purposes/control/power, the bridge apps that rroyy has there are done to get around this. Give that a go and let us know. Cheers!

Thanks rroyy!
    02-23-12 09:08 AM
    Yes, but if it supports stars, and flags via mail apps (Outlook/Thunderbird/OS X Mail) then it should have flags, so they must support it on some level. It's supported on the 9900.
    You're right, there is some functionality there, but another thing to consider is platforms. Email providers have the capability to specify certain services for one device/platform, and deny them for another. Hence it could work on your 9900 and not your playbook. My guess is that since OS 2.0 is so new, alot of providers have yet to "turn it on" so to say for the playbook because there was never a need before. Give it a few weeks and i bet we'll see alot more providers enable features like push and others. Hope this helps! Cheers!
    02-23-12 09:12 AM
    How do u use your phone as a controller? Can someone guide me to the steps please?

I am using bold 9900 on Telus, using 7.1.0.74

Thanks
    You need the new bridge 2.0. Once you have that, it'll have options in it's menu to enable remote control and will tell you basically how to use it.
    02-23-12 09:13 AM
    I've had to charge my playbook midday since the new OS dropped, but that might just be because i use it ALOT more now!

I'd have to wait until i settle back down to my normal usage to see how battery life compares.
    Yes, I'm sure some of the playbook side of battery life dropping is due to messing with all the new features. But this problem is actually on the phone side too. Whatever is doing it is killing the battery on both devices.

I think it is activesync over bridge. It seems like once it leaves a wifi area, it starts using bridge and is constantly sending/receiving traffic (which if it is doing the same thing over wifi, would explain significant decrease on the playbook side too). I deleted all accounts on my playbook and am just using bridge and didn't experience the issue this morning. I hope (though I don't know if its possible) that the native email features make their way over to the bridged services, because the calendaring stuff in particular is pretty cool, but currently only works with an active sync connection
    Last edited by linuxdaemon; 02-23-12 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added AS details.
    02-23-12 09:17 AM
    Yes, I'm sure some of the playbook side of battery life dropping is due to messing with all the new features. But this problem is actually on the phone side. Whatever is doing it is killing the battery on both devices.
    Hmm, i haven't had that problem. In fact my phone is lasting longer because i'm on it less now.

I'd suggest deleting bridge, un-pairing the two, rebooting both, re installing bridge and repairing and see if anything helps.
    02-23-12 09:31 AM
    Has anyone esle noticed that if the keyboard is open you are not able to do a left or right swipe to change to a different window. You have to minimize the keyboard and then you can move between windows.

In regards to muliple contacts. I have found that you can link or merge two or more contacts into one. For example if you have a friend with a Facebook account, twitter account, work email and personal email, you may have three or four different contacts depending on where the contact is pulled from. To link the accounts open up one of the contacts and click the "link" icon at the botton right, you can then search for the other contact you want to link. When you find one click on the "link" icon again and the two contacts will merge to one.

Hope this isnt repeated info.

slott
    02-23-12 10:09 AM
    I didn't notice the "lock" option until I put my PB in Developer mode to sideload some Android apps. Now it's there all of the time.
    I don't know if I just didn't notice it, or if going into Dev Mode brought it up.
    Just a thought.

As for some people noticing that it only takes a touch to wake their PB, while others still need a full bezel to bezel swipe, I wonder if that's the difference between the PB turning the screen off vs actually going into Stand by mode.
    If the PB is "on", but just the screen has been dimmed, then a simple touch may "wake" it. If it's truly in Stand by mode, then you'll need a full bezel to bezel sweep.
    Just a thought. Well, two thoughts I guess.
    I think it's just Dev Mode that allows the Lock option, since mine only has the three options for Battery-tapping too.

As to the bezel swiping to wake, the only time I've ever consistently noticed the PB waking with a single finger-tap to the screen is when it's plugged into a power source, be it the charger cable or charger dock like I use at work. If it's not plugged into a charging source it requires a swipe.
    02-23-12 10:19 AM
    Ok, I'm still in the process of checking out the OS update. I've successfully configured my mail A/Cs, facebook, contacts & calender. The thing i'm most excited abt is the support for .mkv video files. I was so so soooo looking fwd 2 it. Thx RIM!!!

Although I successfully dwd & installed Asphalt 6 HD and Modern Combat 2 HD, which are working fine, but the 3 Android Apps i dwd & installed, LED Scroller Ultimate, ESensor and Dolphin Browser HD are not working at all. And i don't have a clue abt it.

Can someone tell what's happening with the Android Apps? Are none of them are working OR some are not working? And why? Any help will be much appreciated.
    02-23-12 12:24 PM
    Ok, I'm still in the process of checking out the OS update. I've successfully configured my mail A/Cs, facebook, contacts & calender. The thing i'm most excited abt is the support for .mkv video files. I was so so soooo looking fwd 2 it. Thx RIM!!!

Although I successfully dwd & installed Asphalt 6 HD and Modern Combat 2 HD, which are working fine, but the 3 Android Apps i dwd & installed, LED Scroller Ultimate, ESensor and Dolphin Browser HD are not working at all. And i don't have a clue abt it.

Can someone tell what's happening with the Android Apps? Are none of them are working OR some are not working? And why? Any help will be much appreciated.
    Posting the exact same thing in multiple threads is usually frowned upon up in here, but since you're new i'll let it slide....

What happens when you open them? A little detail would help us determine your next step.
    02-23-12 12:49 PM
    To those who where having FB profile photos issues... (I was one of them, all my contacts where faceless) today when I turned on my PB all of them have faces and IN COLOR!! jejej... So there you go... Good things come to those who wait... and the virtue of patience (kinda lacking in some members) does work!

Cheers
    02-23-12 12:56 PM
    Should the msgs app be notifying me of fb comments or just unbox msgs
    My phone does both and I thought this app would also
    02-23-12 01:18 PM
    Should the msgs app be notifying me of fb comments or just unbox msgs
    My phone does both and I thought this app would also
    I think the problem is related to Facebook as of yet doesn't recognize that you're on a tablet, it thinks that you're on a full browser/pc. At least this is what i saw when i was playing around with it for another user yesterday. It's entirely possible that's changed now since we're seeing the profile picture thing working. But if this is still the case, it would explain not getting the notifications, if facebook sees your tablet as a pc, there's no need to push out to the device a notification because it assumes your browser is already letting you know. Now i hope this changes, and probably will with either an incremental update to the playbook OS or a update to the facebook app, but until then, i don't see a way to get it to do notifications. Hope this helps explain a few things, but keep in mind, this is just my theory of what's happening. I could be, and usually am, completely wrong. Cheers!
    02-23-12 02:02 PM
    guys i made a thread regarding this but havent got an answer, is there any way to play videos through the file manager when bridged. I have videos recorded on my 9800 that will not show up in file manager, it displays the message : these files cannot be used on playbook. this is a 3gp file recorded with a blackberry, is this a problem with all video files playing over bridge or am i doing something wrong?
    02-23-12 03:39 PM
    guys i made a thread regarding this but havent got an answer, is there any way to play videos through the file manager when bridged. I have videos recorded on my 9800 that will not show up in file manager, it displays the message : these files cannot be used on playbook. this is a 3gp file recorded with a blackberry, is this a problem with all video files playing over bridge or am i doing something wrong?
    hmm, that is interesting. I tried on mine and when i went to my videos folder it said i didn't have any file that could be played by the playbook. What i have in there are 3GP plus some AVI, MP4 and WMV. So some pretty common video formats. I'm not sure if they have to be a specific format, or if there's something wrong with it. We'll have to look into it further.
    02-23-12 03:51 PM
    Does anyone know how to output greek symbols in docs to go? When i use the symbols font, only regular letters show up.
    02-23-12 04:52 PM
    How do I permanently delete my emails from my PlayBook. The message's I have deleted still show up when I use the search function. Any ideas?
    02-23-12 07:00 PM
    Sorry, need some help as a novice PB user. Just update to OS 2.0, try to download a few apps (incl the free games asphalt 3D and modern combat), none of the app icon show up on the main screen (on either of the 2 panes). In the MyWorld, it does show as "Installed", what should I do? I have no problem downloading apps before, I download and it showed up on the home screen. Without apps, the tablet is pretty much useless.

Also, none of the old apps I downloaded before show up on the screen either, do I need to delete and reinstall every single apps? or is this just because of the problem I am having above? PLEASE HELP!!!
    02-23-12 09:06 PM
    Sorry, need some help as a novice PB user. Just update to OS 2.0, try to download a few apps (incl the free games asphalt 3D and modern combat), none of the app icon show up on the main screen (on either of the 2 panes). In the MyWorld, it does show as "Installed", what should I do? I thave no problem downloading apps before, I download and it showed up on the home screen. Without apps, the tablet is pretty much useless.

Also, none of the old apps I downloaded before show up on the screen either, do I need to delete and reinstall every single apps? or is this just because of the problem I am having above? PLEASE HELP!!!
    Try to reboot your playbook and see if the icons are showing up.
    02-23-12 09:08 PM
    Posting the exact same thing in multiple threads is usually frowned upon up in here, but since you're new i'll let it slide....

What happens when you open them? A little detail would help us determine your next step.
    Sorry for that. But i did it because i wasn't getting a response.

Anyway, the problem is when i tap on my new installed Android Apps, NOTHING HAPPENS.

Thanks for ur response.
    02-23-12 09:11 PM
    Hi byul ... thanks for the suggestion, but tried a hard reset by pressing power and volume down button, also tried soft reset, nothing is working. Any other suggestion?
    02-23-12 10:19 PM
    I don't know if this is too obvious or has been covered already, but I thought I'd share this anyway. You can check for new messages manually by pulling down and releasing the messages list on the left.
    02-23-12 10:39 PM
    Sorry for that. But i did it because i wasn't getting a response.
    FAIL. You repeated your second post in a second thread 4 minutes after first posting.
    02-23-12 11:28 PM
315 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD