Can you please explain how to sideload Kindle on Playbook? New Playbook user here
    http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-a...oid-app-player
    HardyHardy likes this.
    02-22-12 02:27 PM
    Hi all
    For the most part I'm really loving OS2.0... but I have some questions and comments...
    1) Native file browser - am I missing something or is this the same as before, only now they've made an icon for it? Please RIM at least let us make one of the plethora of file management apps as our default for applications if you are not interested in giving us something decent with folders.
    2) I find the android player excruciatingly slow... And it seems to crash out pretty often. It took 3 times to get Kindle working this am.
    3) I sideloaded kindle and loaded overdrive through app world... and both don't seem to want to keep my login information... is there something I can do to make this information stay in? I hate having to dig out the library card on Overdrive each time... And Kobo doesn't cut it for me.
    4) Search app. Please - any developers out there - have you found a 'hook' in the NDK or otherwise to allow an app search functionality? This would be so helpful. I always struggle to find apps on my PlayBook and it drives me nuts. On the iPad it's just a quick swipe to the leftmost screen. For everything else I prefer my PB, but this is getting more and more annoying with every app I add.

5) I am pretty bummed that I can't seem to email links from the News Reader or the Browser... For me this was one of the main reasons to have native email. Anyone figure out a way to do this short of cutting/pasting?

Sorry for the long post, I've been saving these up so I could post all at once : )

Eric
    Last edited by eprklims; 02-22-12 at 02:40 PM. Reason: fixed one issue so deleted it
    02-22-12 02:37 PM
    Yes i'm referring to the gear symbol in the top right of your playbook. Whether there's an "advanced setup" option once you go into your account depends on your account. Email accounts like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, and microsoft exchange all have it, but things like facebook, twitter and linkedIn do not. This is just due to the nature of the account in question. Facebook for instance has no need for any kind of push services because there's a separate Facebook app to manage it's settings. I hope this explains this.
    ok, thanks

I have POP email, that would explain the missing "advanced setup" option.
    02-22-12 02:53 PM
    ok, thanks

I have POP email, that would explain the missing "advanced setup" option.
    Glad to help
    02-22-12 02:54 PM
    Have I lost something, but why does my Gmail account not flag/star messages on the server? I have two accounts, one is Exchange, and my Exchange account flags instantly - and I have Gmail set up as an exchange account (just through m.google.com). Have I missed something?
    02-22-12 03:29 PM
    Have I lost something, but why does my gmail account not flag/star messages on the server? My Exchange account flags instantly - and I have Gmail set up as an exchange account. Have I missed something?
    The two way communication is a ActiveSync thing, even if your gmail is set up as exchange, if gmail themselves don't support activesync, it won't happen. I'm not sure if they do or not, but it's what came to my mind. Cheers!
    02-22-12 03:31 PM
    02-22-12 04:25 PM
    guys,

i have set up my twitter account (username and password) in settings-accounts-twitter, but i dont get any messages. when i chose only twitter in the message app i get no tweets from people i follow. why?

linkedIn works as does my gmail

thanks
    Stefan
    I am assuming that the inbox in the messages app only show tweets and facebook messages that are sent to you. Ie. it doesn't display all tweets, just messages that are sent to you - like PMs -.

But like I said, I am just assuming. I was hoping for your preferred method of all tweets showing up.
    02-22-12 04:37 PM

For all of those that are whining for a better file browser... just get AIR Browser. Brilliant app that does everything that you are whining about. Pretty sure it is free too.
    I don't necessarily think this is directed at me, and I've had Air Browser since it came out as well, but the fact that you can't access the files on the phone make it what hinders it being a great app. Although the possibility is there that I could be completely wrong about it and just need enlightenment.
    02-22-12 04:48 PM
    You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the profile pictures thing has something to do with Facebook timeline.
    Doubt it as not all my friends have timeline.

So folks get "some" photos... I personally have ALL my contacts faceless!! ... will keep on waiting. Thanks!
    02-22-12 05:48 PM
    Anyone else seeing INCREDIBLY high battery suck on their phone after the new bridge and os2 update?

I have seen old threads here, but nothing since December and I have not had any issues until the updates. It always happens when I leave a wifi area and then my phone has constant network activity. Once I disable bridge the activity stops. I thought it was all the syncing for twitter, Facebook and linkedin. But I disabled all of them and still see it. I still have an activesync to my mail server, but that's about it.

Anyone else see this or can think of anything else to check?
    samson47 likes this.
    02-22-12 06:03 PM
    I have tried searching the Blackberry site for this problem with no luck. THe problem is since I upgraded my PB to OS 2.0 and also had updates for my BB 9930. The contacts for one of my email accounts will not show when Bridged. I have 2 main email accounts that I use when bridged but now since the upgrade only 1 is showing on the PB. Is anyone having the same problem or had and found a solution?
    02-22-12 06:19 PM
    I'm hoping someone on Crackberry can help me with this as no one else has been able to. I had a flawless update to 2.0. My playbook rebooted after the update no problem. Played around with the new features, made some folders, browsed the web...everything worked fine. Turned my playbook off for the night. The next day I went to turn it on.....and it froze on the startup screen (where it says Blackberry Playbook with the colorful circles). Since then I have done EVERYTHING possible to get it to boot up (multiple soft resets, hard resets, reloaded the OS from DM three times, left it on overnight and plugged in to try and get passed startup screen). NOTHING HAS WORKED. It simply will not get passed the startup screen! WTF??!! This is really making me angry. My PlayBook is a useless paperweight now. Any other suggestions other than soft/hard reset or reloading the OS from Desktop Manager?
    02-22-12 06:21 PM
    I updated to OS 2.0 and I am unable to start any android apps like dolphin browser and wordpress apps.....I downloaded them and I click on it and nothing happens...those apps are not running....I restarted it like 3 times.....still no change....What do I do? Please I wanted to play with android launchers in PB and I waited forever for the Official 2.0 update
    02-22-12 07:04 PM
    Is there a way to set up Autotext?
    Thanks!
    B.
    02-22-12 07:28 PM
    been looking through this quickly... but,

does the MESSAGES app just do 'messages' and not 'notifications'

for example, it doesnt tell me when someone comments on a FB picture or on my wall... just when i get a private message. Is that how it is supposed to work?
    02-23-12 01:00 AM
    Hi all - i seem to be having an issue accessing BBM via bridge since upgrading to PB OS 2.0 - when i click on the BBM icon on my PB it looks as if it is opening and then it just disappears - i have uninstalled Bridge, and i am running 7.1 on my Bold 9900
    02-23-12 02:16 AM
    The two way communication is a ActiveSync thing, even if your gmail is set up as exchange, if gmail themselves don't support activesync, it won't happen. I'm not sure if they do or not, but it's what came to my mind. Cheers!
    Yes, but if it supports stars, and flags via mail apps (Outlook/Thunderbird/OS X Mail) then it should have flags, so they must support it on some level. It's supported on the 9900.
    02-23-12 03:09 AM
    Still getting the perpetual "pending" notification everyone I try to download an episode??

Am I the lone Ranger on this?
    02-23-12 03:39 AM
    How do u use your phone as a controller? Can someone guide me to the steps please?

I am using bold 9900 on Telus, using 7.1.0.74

Thanks
    02-23-12 06:04 AM
    Two question:
    - there is any possibilities to sync the email address settings from my BB 9900 to Playbook ?
    - there are some settings for deleting the email also from the server when I am delete it from the Playbook ?

Thank you.
    02-23-12 07:22 AM
    I don't necessarily think this is directed at me, and I've had Air Browser since it came out as well, but the fact that you can't access the files on the phone make it what hinders it being a great app. Although the possibility is there that I could be completely wrong about it and just need enlightenment.
    Hi, I use file browser and from there you can access the files on your phone and the music as well. Plus it's more colurful :-)
    02-23-12 08:23 AM
    Anyone else seeing INCREDIBLY high battery suck on their phone after the new bridge and os2 update?

I have seen old threads here, but nothing since December and I have not had any issues until the updates. It always happens when I leave a wifi area and then my phone has constant network activity. Once I disable bridge the activity stops. I thought it was all the syncing for twitter, Facebook and linkedin. But I disabled all of them and still see it. I still have an activesync to my mail server, but that's about it.

Anyone else see this or can think of anything else to check?
    I've had to charge my playbook midday since the new OS dropped, but that might just be because i use it ALOT more now!

I'd have to wait until i settle back down to my normal usage to see how battery life compares.
    02-23-12 08:50 AM
    I have tried searching the Blackberry site for this problem with no luck. THe problem is since I upgraded my PB to OS 2.0 and also had updates for my BB 9930. The contacts for one of my email accounts will not show when Bridged. I have 2 main email accounts that I use when bridged but now since the upgrade only 1 is showing on the PB. Is anyone having the same problem or had and found a solution?
    Are there duplicate contacts between the two? Could one be overwriting the other? Just a thought.
    02-23-12 08:51 AM
    Hi, I use file browser and from there you can access the files on your phone and the music as well. Plus it's more colurful :-)
    Yes. But only native files. Ie. I can't use it to access my .epub files on my phone.

And for anyone interested, I might've figured out how to make sure that using Files and Folders or an android file viewer, you are able to access all files through the bridge. If you open the Native file browser, it seems that it will force the connection through, and then you access through the other application.
    02-23-12 08:53 AM
315 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD