Indeed, what we are seeing so far is that Rim know they need to drum up interest with 3rd party developers and that is why they are demonstrating the playbook a lot more than other devices from them, but for people to try and claim they shouldn't be doing it in a controlled manner is just silly and/or trolling.
    This is really my ONLY fear with the device, and it's a small one. That is will it get strong 3rd party support, will it get great apps like the ipad and android tabs are getting. I hope and I believe that it will, BUT otherwise this thing really has me excited. The specs we are hearing are VERY impressive. The size is perfect in my opinion, Job's opinion not withstanding. And the demo's I have seen have really blown me away, EVEN at this early unfinished state.
    12-31-10 08:32 AM
    Hopefully they will put the cost structure for AppWorld in line with that of Apple and Google Marketplace too. I think from what I've read that it should be as easy as running Android app code through a compiler that RIM developed and it will run on Playbook, but it still has to be worth a developers time to do it and in his financial interests.
    12-31-10 08:57 AM
    Bloggers these days are just as bad as CNN's "Headline News", they'll come up with the stupidest reports.
    12-31-10 09:23 AM
    OMG....I want that thing....and the size is perfect for me.....

Kinda disappointed that it feels plasticky....
    How do you know what it feels like? You have never touched one or even seen one in person.
    12-31-10 09:50 AM
    Sorry.....what altered state of reality are you inhabiting?

Did Jobs give anyone the iPad before release? Has any Android tablet been passed around before release?

As far as RIM not having the tablet, truly, has your access to YouTube been revoked? There are a select few who have touched the thing, but there are a few.

This is an UNRELEASED device....why would they allow random people to handle it when it's not ready for release?????????

You haters are beyond all reason. If the thing sucks after release, go at it. But hold your vitriol until informed criticisms can be made, outside of the hatred inside your own heads.
    Not quite in the same state as you. You are so defensive about a device that may or may not perform on par with an IPad or Android tablet. If they bring an item out to be seen by people who are going to write reviews of it it makes sense to me that they would allow them to handle it. I wouldn't endorse an item somebody waved in front of me and I couldn't touch it or even see if it worked. Not a hater and no going to be a sucker either.
    12-31-10 10:03 AM
    At min. RIM should leak something saying that isn't true. It doesn't even have to be an offical release.

The longer they keep getting bad press about the PB the worse it's going to be.

Once a rumor takes off on the net it spreads like wildfire.

How it's going to play out in store:

Salesman:May I help you?

Customer: I'm just looking at your iPads and tablets. What's this one here?

Salesman: Oh that's the PlayBook from RIM, it has QNX and has....

Customer:I heard that thing has 4hr battery life and the iPad has 10 I don't want it

Salesman: Actually the battery on it has..

Customer:Well my cousin who works on computers says it has poor battery life, no apps and I need a BlackBerry for it get internet..........

I'm telling you that's how it's going to play out. As for the battery life and it just now being a problem. People asked the same thing about the iPhone4 and antenna gate.....
    RIM Official Statement Regarding Rumors of Poor Battery Life on the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    12-31-10 10:20 AM
    I don't *care* how it performs as compared to anything else. I *care* about how it would perform *for me.*
    If I have a product that is not ready for release I decide who touches it. In my position I inform end users and senior leadership of a release but I determine who is involved in UAT. The business owner does not get on the staging/test site until I deem it ready for review. Therefore, I completely understand why RIM chooses a controlled approach. No more controlled than Apple or Android.
    Defensive? Hhhmmm.....I find that I find trolls disrupptive, so I defend myself against them.
    As to my state....a realist. I don't expect any company to cater to the whims of the whiners, haters and trolls on web forums, therefore I don't expect them to cater to the users of their products who are very satisfied with their devices, as I am.
    I care that my phones work. That, they do. Beautifully.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mcjohn and seerg like this.
    12-31-10 10:25 AM
    How do you know what it feels like? You have never touched one or even seen one in person.
    I read the Engadget piece. They touched it, briefly.

12-31-10 10:33 AM
    I don't *care* how it performs as compared to anything else. I *care* about how it would perform *for me.*
    If I have a product that is not ready for release I decide who touches it. In my position I inform end users and senior leadership of a release but I determine who is involved in UAT. The business owner does not get on the staging/test site until I deem it ready for review. Therefore, I completely understand why RIM chooses a controlled approach. No more controlled than Apple or Android.
    Defensive? Hhhmmm.....I find that I find trolls disrupptive, so I defend myself against them.
    As to my state....a realist. I don't expect any company to cater to the whims of the whiners, haters and trolls on web forums, therefore I don't expect them to cater to the users of their products who are very satisfied with their devices, as I am.

You tell 'em! Well said.
    12-31-10 11:08 AM
    Yeah I posted that skit before they released a statement and did what I said they should.

If they had ignored it they would have been digging themselves even deeper
    12-31-10 12:45 PM

Excellent, they need more customers like you who will buy anything they throw out there just because their name is on it. Go for it.

Just because one disagrees with your ramblings does no make them whiners, haters and trolls, by the way. And could care less about what you do for a living.
    12-31-10 04:09 PM
    At min. RIM should leak something saying that isn't true. It doesn't even have to be an offical release.

The longer they keep getting bad press about the PB the worse it's going to be.

Once a rumor takes off on the net it spreads like wildfire.

How it's going to play out in store:

Salesman:May I help you?

Customer: I'm just looking at your iPads and tablets. What's this one here?

Salesman: Oh that's the PlayBook from RIM, it has QNX and has....

Customer:I heard that thing has 4hr battery life and the iPad has 10 I don't want it

Salesman: Actually the battery on it has..

Customer:Well my cousin who works on computers says it has poor battery life, no apps and I need a BlackBerry for it get internet..........

I'm telling you that's how it's going to play out. As for the battery life and it just now being a problem. People asked the same thing about the iPhone4 and antenna gate.....
    LOL. The part about the cousin couldn't be more true!!! But I agree that rim should do that

12-31-10 11:48 PM
    This is coming from Allthingsdigital and CNET and their opinion does not matter. They have a history of RIM hatred. Especially that fat and ugly asian chick who keeps on talking trash on every blackberry that was launched.
    01-01-11 08:24 AM
    This is coming from Allthingsdigital and CNET and their opinion does not matter. They have a history of RIM hatred. Especially that fat and ugly asian chick who keeps on talking trash on every blackberry that was launched.
    Who? Bonnie Cha? lol
    01-01-11 11:16 PM
    Who? Bonnie Cha? lol
    I believe that's who it is.

01-02-11 09:08 AM
    lol stupid CNET... I hate how inaccurate CNET reviews are, nothing good ever come out of that stupid site. Don't know why CNET is still up... it should have been dead long time ago!
    1812dave likes this.
    01-03-11 02:17 AM
    That's my beef in a nutshell; two months ago we were treated to a show of Balsillie holding (what must have been) a dummy unit and a huge screen showing flashy images with a list of specs that stuck many a hook into eager mouths... And this same Balsillie speaking of the playbook as an existing item (proof: constantly referred to what it does and is capable of, not what it will one day be able to).

Two months later and we are told its release is delayed due to something they supposedly should have known about two months ago (since, after all, the item already existed)???

I call B.S., not on its delay but the reason. I think Balsillie promised a product his team couldn't deliver in the time specified so now its time to backpedal and pump out the smokescreen.

I see this product, in whatever form it winds up taking, not being out until summer at the earliest.

Since you don't know squat about what's really going on, why would anyone care what you think?
    01-05-11 08:18 AM
    Excellent, they need more customers like you who will buy anything they throw out there just because their name is on it. Go for it.

Just because one disagrees with your ramblings does no make them whiners, haters and trolls, by the way. And could care less about what you do for a living.

....just wondering why people get so personal about comments on here. The fact that you took the time to write that you don't care about what someone does for a living tells me that maybe you do....
    01-05-11 11:25 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD