"BlackBerry PlayBook should not be available in the Republic of Ireland," says Official Blackberry Support.

DO NOT BUY A BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK IF YOU LIVE IN IRELAND BECAUSE IT WILL NOT WORK AND BLACKBERRY WILL NOT HELP ANYONE IN IRELAND.

HERE'S MY STORY ("HAVE A GREAT DAY!"):

This is the complete message I sent (with a lot of difficulty) to "Blackberry Support" on 3 September 2012:

"I have just received my Blackberry Playbook bought online from PC World in Ireland, where I live. I cannot setup the unit because Ireland does not appear in the list of countries for the Agreement.

In order to register my product I have the same problem: Ireland does not exist as an option. In order to register my product and send this message I was forced to choose "UK" even though I live in Ireland, which is a totally different country.

Please tell me how to get past the Agreement screen on my Playbook."

This is the complete reply I received from "Brad" at "Blackberry Customer Support" (about 6 hours later):

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support. We are pleased to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to setup or register the BlackBerry PlayBook in Ireland.

At this time the BlackBerry PlayBook should only be available in Northern Ireland (aka the United Kingdom). The BlackBerry PlayBook should not available in the Republic of Ireland, at present.

If you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us either by replying to this message or by calling us at one of the numbers below.

I will be pending your case for the next two (2) days, at which time I will email you to see if the problem is resolved.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Brad
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com

09-04-12 08:03 AM
    Ok, and......
    09-04-12 08:08 AM
    There are ways to instal the OS.

Just search these forums for keywords like "Dingleberry" and you'll find a way to solve that problem.

Then, even if you don't access to a BBID there are ways to get some apps in the PB - Sideloading(search this too) - Completly legal and aproved!

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-04-12 08:27 AM
    Just use a proxy and connect that way to download applications, or leave it as UK and enjoy your PB?
    09-04-12 08:32 AM
    I'm sorry to sound pedantic, but did you read the entire Agreement? If you did, you're probably the only one.

Does it REALLY matter what country you enter into the agreement screen, surely you only need it to be in a language you understand... end even then you probably won't read it.

I'd also like to mention that NOWHERE in the reply from customer services did it say (as you put in capitals): "...AND BLACKBERRY WILL NOT HELP ANYONE IN IRELAND"

Yes, PC World were probably wrong to have sold the PlayBook to you in the Republic of Ireland, but it's not really RIM's fault.

Either way, enjoy your PlayBook, just add a different country and you'll be fine.

Si.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-04-12 08:39 AM
    This is odd indeed, especially as a proud Irish person to have to choose UK as their country. I hope RIM adds Ireland so all our friends can feel good about buying Playbooks there! Is there a choice to choose "World" or "No country" to still be allowed to use your Playbook? Are Blackberry phones available in Ireland?

I have a feeling that RIM needed to get some additional government approvals and legal stuff done for Ireland and didn't bother with it. Otherwise it just seems very odd why Ireland would not be on the country list!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-04-12 08:57 AM
    Who was it said "The Irish are revolting"?

Geeze don't get so bent out of shape. We in Canada get excluded from a lot of USA stuff but manage to survive.
    iwasspartacus likes this.
    09-04-12 10:17 AM
    Same here in Brasil (although we do have an EUA of our own). Just run the set up using a US proxy and enjoy the PlayBook to its fullest.

The only thing that really means is that RIM has not set any official channels to sell the PlayBook in your country therefore, they don't have an EUA and cannot officially support you.

And for unofficial support, welcome to Crackberry.com.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-04-12 10:44 AM
    This is odd indeed, especially as a proud Irish person to have to choose UK as their country. I hope RIM adds Ireland so all our friends can feel good about buying Playbooks there! Is there a choice to choose "World" or "No country" to still be allowed to use your Playbook? Are Blackberry phones available in Ireland?

I have a feeling that RIM needed to get some additional government approvals and legal stuff done for Ireland and didn't bother with it. Otherwise it just seems very odd why Ireland would not be on the country list!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app

Just stick UK on it and enjoy your new PlayBook. Although the registering your product requires an address,even stranger,Blackberry are advertising jobs in Dublin..lol
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-04-12 at 01:45 PM.
    09-04-12 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD