My playbook recently was not able to charge and so gave it to service center. They replied saying: USB charging port got damaged and it will cost 80$ (3600 INR).
    New playbook 16 GB costs 200$ (12k INR) or 64 GB - 250$ (18k INR)... Im confused whether to go for repairing my playbook at 80$ or buy a new one. (may not be PB).

Can someone please suggest me what I can do.... Very much confused state!! Any suggestion is much appreciated....

Problem is BB Playbook - I liked only 60% .. cos, less apps and most used apps in android or iOS missing here... lil heavy compared to other tabs... so, Im neither interested to repair nor leave it as it is.. as I spent 230$ when I bought this.. and hardly used it for 6 months !!!

PLease someone comment and suggest... Any help will be appreciated.

Below is the image which BB guys sent me how it got damaged.... Can I check if anyone can service in outside market where it might be done cheaper.. but it voids warranty !! which I dont want to ... please suggest.

Blackberry playbook not charging.. BB guys say 80$ for service-bb-playbook-damaged-port.jpg
    Last edited by sandeepkvv; 10-16-12 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Attached image
    10-16-12 10:47 AM
    If you don't want to get it fixed you could pick up a rapid charger instead, and use wifi to transfer any data to/from the playbook. You'll just miss any desktop manager capabilities such as backup/restore but you can just copy your media using wifi to make sure you have backup.
    esk369 and DC506 like this.
    10-16-12 10:52 AM
    ^^ +1, you can even install applications using chrome extension(playbook app manager), so just get a rapid charger and you should be fine.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-16-12 10:59 AM
    First make sure you're out of warranty. If you bought it new and it's only 6 months you should be under warranty. Also consider purchasing the magnetic rapid charger. You can probably find it on ebay for $35.ish USD
    esk369 likes this.
    10-16-12 10:59 AM
    It comes with 18 months warranty in India, so did they say it is not covered in that? (rapid charger though viable option may still cost you same amount)
    esk369 likes this.
    10-16-12 11:11 AM
    My playbook recently was not able to charge and so gave it to service center. They replied saying: USB charging port got damaged and it will cost 80$ (3600 INR).
    New playbook 16 GB costs 200$ (12k INR) or 64 GB - 250$ (18k INR)... Im confused whether to go for repairing my playbook at 80$ or buy a new one. (may not be PB).

Can someone please suggest me what I can do.... Very much confused state!! Any suggestion is much appreciated....

Problem is BB Playbook - I liked only 60% .. cos, less apps and most used apps in android or iOS missing here... lil heavy compared to other tabs... so, Im neither interested to repair nor leave it as it is.. as I spent 230$ when I bought this.. and hardly used it for 6 months !!!

PLease someone comment and suggest... Any help will be appreciated.

Below is the image which BB guys sent me how it got damaged.... Can I check if anyone can service in outside market where it might be done cheaper.. but it voids warranty !! which I dont want to ... please suggest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB Playbook damaged port.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	123194
    That's some nasty damage you got going on looks like it partly melted how did it happen?
    If you can prove to rim that the damage was a manufacturing defect as opposed to user rim should replace at no cost to you at least thats my opinion.
    If they won't I think you should just get a new one then as djenkins6 said you could go with the rapid charger and do all your data via wifi although this can be a limited option.
    If it were me I would get a new one and keep the damaged one and use with the rapid charger although from the look of the damage it might have fried the charging circuits.
    Good luck.
    10-16-12 11:26 AM
    As I have pointed out to many folks that have tablets and other such devices.

Pop along to your local mobile phone repair shop to get them to take a look.

They repair USB ports and swap batteries all day long.

Either do that for say $30 and lose the warranty or suck it up and pay the full price. Choice is yours.
    10-16-12 11:35 AM
    This might be a long shot, but I fixed my micro usb charging/syncing problem with bottle of electric contact cleaner spray (not wd40!!! ) and toothbrush .
    My playbook problem started as occasional sync / charging problem but then after few weeks it wouldn't charge at all. BB tech, just like in your case, said it's busted micro usb port
    and it would cost close to $100 to repair it.
    Because this days you can get brand new Playbook for close to $100 i decided to try to fix it myself.
    1 - Took spray bottle of electric contact cleaner, sprayed it ON TOOTHBRUSH and then with moist toothbrush cleaned micro usb port few times. I cleaned plug on charger side as well.
    2 - while charger was UNPLUGGED sprayed contact spray on male micro usb plug ( on charger cable ) and while still wet i plugged in and unplugged from playbook. Did few times like that.
    3 - let it dry for few minutes, and then try plugging charger to the wall and see if it works. In my case playbook blinked led lights right away, so i knew it was working.
    It has been few months, and it is still running strong
    hope that helps.
    10-16-12 12:58 PM
    That is one messed-up port. It looks burnt/melted and was it dropped on the charging connector?

Anyhow, I would do as djenkins6 stated. Rapid Charger and wifi transfers. Good luck.
    10-16-12 05:45 PM
    tikes are you using a non OEM charger that fried it???
    10-16-12 06:07 PM
    tikes are you using a non OEM charger that fried it???
    That's what I'm sayin that thing's fried up pretty good I don't think any amount of electrical cleaner and a toothbrush is going to do anything.
    Again op how did it happen I'm really curios?
    10-16-12 07:38 PM
    I'm curious how it got that much damage. It definitely doesn't look like the OEM charger wasn't used (more like it was connected directly to 220v!). If it was the OEM charger, then it should be covered under warranty. If you're plugging it directly into the power company's transformer, that might void the warranty.

I'd see if someplace can replace the USB port for cheaper, or go the rapid charger route.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-17-12 05:07 AM
    this might void your warranty as the water sticker is located right near the port
    10-17-12 03:08 PM