03-02-11 07:50 AM
    lol sounds like a strategic leak on RIM's part, considering what today is in the Tablet world
    03-02-11 07:52 AM
    I think that is a resonable date. Later than most would have wanted but ill take it over not knowing any day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 07:55 AM
    I'm excited to see that there is more of a solid date for the release of the Playbook, but isn't it odd to release a device like this on a Sunday? Just my thought.
    03-02-11 08:03 AM
    That the same thing I was thinking about a release date on a Sunday..? Kind of odd..

03-02-11 08:15 AM
    We have been told by multiple sources that RIM’s very first tablet will be launching on April 10th in retail locations. Additionally, we’re told the OS goes GM (gold master) on March 31st and that when you boot up the device right out of the box, you’ll be prompted to upgrade to a newer version of the OS. We’ll have another hands-on coming up shortly but in the meantime, let us know if you plan to snag a PlayBook next month in the comments below, alright?
    Makes little sense to miss your deadline by 10 days. Of course, BGR says "Retail stores" on April 10. Maybe it will be available online earlier? (hope springs eternal)
    Last edited by rbenjamin; 03-02-11 at 08:21 AM.
    03-02-11 08:18 AM
    Date lines up with the enterprise beta program details I was sent. RIM is partnering with Best Buy for retail sales as well Staples etc so a Sunday release is not odd.
    03-02-11 08:22 AM
    I expect official announcements from RIM will begin to come after today's iPad2 launch. This gives RIM a better idea of how to promote the PlayBook's advantages over the iPad.

For example, no point in bragging about a 1Ghz dual core, if the iPad2 matches/exceeds it.

I expect a firm release date and pricing to come shortly from RIM. I don't think most people will mind a little later date (even if they say they do). It's just the uncertainty which has got everyone frustrated.
    03-02-11 08:25 AM
    I have no doubt one of the reasons RIM has waited is to see what Apple does price wise. They certainly can push the Playbook lower to drive sales as it would hurt Apple more as they would lose the profit cushion they like. Apple will always choose profit share over market share. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong as both companies have no debt and piles of money to play with.
    03-02-11 08:30 AM
    Hopefully you can get it on March 31st or there are going to be a lot of "Apr 10th is not Q1" posts coming.
    03-02-11 08:36 AM
    I expect official announcements from RIM will begin to come after today's iPad2 launch. This gives RIM a better idea of how to promote the PlayBook's advantages over the iPad.

For example, no point in bragging about a 1Ghz dual core, if the iPad2 matches/exceeds it.

I expect a firm release date and pricing to come shortly from RIM. I don't think most people will mind a little later date (even if they say they do). It's just the uncertainty which has got everyone frustrated

exactly. especially if its only 10 days and not longer like many feared.
    03-02-11 08:37 AM
    I have no doubt one of the reasons RIM has waited is to see what Apple does price wise. They certainly can push the Playbook lower to drive sales as it would hurt Apple more as they would lose the profit cushion they like. Apple will always choose profit share over market share. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong as both companies have no debt and piles of money to play with.
    Apple will price the device at the price that Apple wants regardless of how the competition price their devices. That is the way that Apple is. Their stuff is usually more expensive and their are a lot of people willing to pay more for their product. If they do like the iPhone model, they may sell the first gen iPad a lower price point to compete with bargain tablets. Even if Apple sold an identical iPadX against a Playbook at the same price, Apple would still make more per unit because of their purchasing power (loads of cash) and economies of scale.
    Kerms likes this.
    03-02-11 08:44 AM
    Guess it looks like that Office Depot ad we saw was about right.

That ship set sailed long ago. Other tablets have that.

How much lower can RIM go though? If the pricing for what they had them built for was right..Also Apple said they had room to lower the iPad. Either way I don't they'll go too low or risk devaluing their brand.
    I think they will be with in $50 of each other. Who knows they may sell the 16GB for $399 and lose money but will sell a ton of them to gain market share.

I don't think RIM going low is what is going to hurt Apple. Apple stuff just sells and Apple fans preach high and low how great it is. I think what is going to hurt Apple at least with it's fan base is if the spec rumors are true. Most are harping they're not upgrading just to have a camera. They feel ipad3 will have the super display and beefier specs. I think they'll buy anyway myself. If they talk about iOS5 today and they change it up, then that's a new ball game.

I think WebOS with HP is going to be the loser though. They are coming to the party after last call has been given. iPad2 will be out, PlayBook will be out, Android with HC will be out.
    Last edited by Daps; 03-02-11 at 08:53 AM.
    03-02-11 08:49 AM
    April 10 is a good enough date for me. Why rush it if the product is not done. People will just be disappointed. I think that the Torch got off to a poor start because the OS6 version that it shipped with was not really ready and the device got branded as slow and laggy. As it is, if Playbook review samples go out with unfinished software, the device might not be well received. So, I think RIM is trying to pick a date at which it is comfortable that the device is ready but not blow its window. If the Ipad 2 is really as unexciting as it sounds, the Playbook will do well. I played with a Xoom at Best Buy and I honestly don't like the OS. It feels cluttered and uninspired to me. The Playbook OS may be a rip off of web OS but it looks like it will be very nice to use.
    03-02-11 08:51 AM
    This works out perfectly to a Q1 presale which isn't technically "Q1 availability" like RIM has been saying, but it's purchasable in Q1. I thought all along that we would be getting this after March 15th, so I'm not upset at RIM, just disappointed that I can't have one for another month+.
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 03-02-11 at 08:59 AM.
    03-02-11 08:53 AM
    As expected, more news and rumours about the Playbook immerge as the iPad 2 annoucement gets near.

I think RIM is piggybacking on the hoopla about tablets generated (or will be generated) by the iPad 2. But April 10th probably means AFTER iPad 2's release. Would have been perfect business-wise if it was before it.
    03-02-11 09:26 AM
    all i hope is soon the places get the okydokie to start a reserve so i can head to my local retailer and reserve mine. i really have no interest in the ipad2, btw read the comments on there it'll make you giggle.
    03-02-11 09:41 AM
    Just saw the BGR tweet - good news!

03-02-11 09:45 AM
    April 10th isn't that late, but I still hope BGR is wrong and they get it out by the end of March. It's not like BGR is always right anyways. I remember them saying that the PlayBook wasn't going to be announced at DevCon, but then an hour later, there it was.
    03-02-11 09:54 AM
    Is April 10th really late? If it is released for shipping on March 31st, wouldn't it take about 10 days to get into retail stores?
    Best Buy here I come!
    03-02-11 10:13 AM
    Is April 10th really late? If it is released for shipping on March 31st, wouldn't it take about 10 days to get into retail stores?
    Best Buy here I come!
    Not at all. I think Apple usually has there stuff in retail stores about 2-3 days after they ship. Granted, those are Apple stores, but it shouldn't make a difference. Video games are in stores the next day usually.
    03-02-11 10:16 AM
    you can ship stuff so its already at stores for launch....its not that hard.
    03-02-11 10:30 AM
    Best Buy here I come!
    I agree with your comment - doing it this way would still allow RIM to be true to their word or 'releasing it in Q1'. We can probably pre-order at the end of March too. This way it would give them a couple of extra days to finalize the Gold Master and get it to the stores...

AR
    03-02-11 10:52 AM
    I have been warning people for weeks that this was more and more likely the case... Especially since RIM couldn't even come up with a release date at mwc and could offer nothing more than repeating info we all already knew.

There was a poster banned from this forum for saying this a day before bgr announces it.

I will still buy it but personally I will be angry with RIM for dropping the ball yet one more time, if this pans out. They said Q1 and April 10 is not Q1.

It will be interesting to hear what the staunch defenders of the Q1 release date, as well as repeating "they are on schedule!" over and over, will have to say now.

Last edited by kb5zht; 03-02-11 at 10:57 AM.
    03-02-11 10:52 AM
    It will be interesting to hear what the staunch defenders of the Q1 release date, as well as repeating "they are on schedule!" over and over, will have to say now.
    I think those people will most likely say that Rim was 10 days late.
    03-02-11 11:12 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD