03-02-13 04:16 PM
33 12
tools
    saw this this morning

BlackBerry PlayBook: It's pure magic

somebody that "gets it"
    GV2012, taz323, ChrisMay and 1 others like this.
    02-28-13 08:55 AM
    I would tend to agree with the assessment by the author that the PlayBook is an excellent piece of hardware that failed on the consumer side because of the app situation.

I never really understood the concept of apps particularly when so many seem to be a substitute for shortcuts to a website but with real limitations on screen display and functionality. This might work in the smartphone world where screen size is a real limitation to properly viewing a website, but a 7 or 10 inch tablet is not all that constrained in using a website. That leaves the games and utilities. Yes, those do need to be apps (as a substitute for what we used to know as programs on laptops and PCs.), but with the advent of online offerings of office suites and games, perhaps this need is not what it used to be. A severe lack in the latter types of apps can definitely be a non-starter for the average consumer though.

My own thoughts are that I am not constrained in what I need to do with the PlayBook - a highly portable device where I can easily communicate, get caught up on news, create view and edit documents and spreadsheets, view excellent quality shows, movies and videos and have these as a sharp image on my hi-def wide screen TV, make top quality presentations (as long as I can access an HDMI compatible projector/TV) and surf the net. I can make very cheap phone calls using the free Comwave app. I am not all that big on games so I don't care about birds being angry or any of the other "hot" games. I don't "get" Instagram given the plethora of photo sharing websites already out there. I suppose the only shortcoming with the WiFi model is that I am not hooked up at all times, but that is something that is not all that important to me given how many WiFi hotspots are out there. Tethering is an option that is available should my priorities change.

There are still a few bugs in the OS, but when I compare my current experience with what I used to live with in Microsoft's past OS offerings, the PlayBook is indeed a fine and stable offering.
    02-28-13 11:14 AM
    Having used all the other tablet operating systems the Playbook is magic and I love the way you swipe to get things done and I do not miss the home button at all. After using the Playbook my android tablet seems second class.
    02-28-13 11:26 AM
    Yes, I totally forgot about the gesture-based approach. It did not take long for me to understand it and get comfortable with it. I was soon trying to tap my laptop's screen or swipe up or down to scroll though documents and web pages or do the pinching process to magnify or shrink something. That is how quick and intuitive the swiping process is.

Having active apps displayed by swiping up and across to access another one is a great feature and much better than the old Windows way of having the programs overlap or access them via the menu bar or <alt><tab> to switch around. The showcase option to keep the apps going with real screen updates as I swipe back and forth between apps to see what is current is a great feature. Unlike another poster in another thread, I don't see going to active frames to be all that bad. I just see it as shrinking the active apps that we swipe back and forth to see to fit possibly all 8 active frames (as per the phone BB10) on a single PB screen and have enough in view to see if anything has changed in another app to decide then and there whether I want to view it full screen or just go back to what I was doing.
    02-28-13 11:47 AM
    Thanks for posting this, it's a good read. Love this tablet it does everything I need it to, when I need it to. With bridge it can't be beat.
    02-28-13 11:56 AM
    A nice article that about sums it up. My PlayBook is a work horse and using BlackBerry bridge I have full access to my company's corporate network including intranet, notes, tasks and email. And this is am doing remotely whilst sat on a train from London. No wifi required.
    02-28-13 02:18 PM
    really funny
    02-28-13 02:22 PM
    I've only seen (but not used) one of the latest iPads. If the quality is really that bad, then that's disappointing. My iPod 60Gb was (and still is) a great quality device (especially in build) that lasted years and has only been put out to grass because my Playbook plays movies and music better than the iPod does.

The Playbook IS a dream to use though. I have a touch-screen Android smartphone that is HIDEOUS. It is so bad I travel mostly without it, but can't really afford a new phone just yet. It has been bad enough to deter me from ever getting another touchscreen device, but when I was given a 16Gb Playbook a couple of months ago, I could not believe the difference (loved it so much I bought a 64Gb version)! App availability is definitely an issue, not because there isn't enough (and we sure don't need 1000s and 1000s of bad clones to wade through), but I just wish app developers would take the Blackberry format seriously - especially those offering apps for big-name services. I would love Sky TV's "Sky-Go" remote recording app in the UK, but of course, every format but Blackberry is offered, and Sky said they have no plans for a Blackberry version (usual story that can be applied just about everywhere these days). It's not a complaint (I bought my second Playbook knowing the situation) but I sure hope BB's new phones do really well, and maybe then we'll see a few more apps made into Blackberry apps too.

Thanks for the great link!
    Vorkosigan and CallMeNop like this.
    02-28-13 02:25 PM
    I'm a rare forum poster but being a Blackberry newcomer and my history being with Apple (since the early 90's) and Nokia (till they went bad), I have to endorse the postings above. I am completely smitten with the Playbook. The GUI is excellent, better than Apple, the Bridge is remarkable and is its unique selling point. So why aren't Blackberry selling it? A lack of apps. That does not affect me as I'm far too old to play with toys. I would like to back up my camera card into the Playbook, but that I think is the only area which fails. I am fed up with the bling Apple is producing and am very comfortable with the usefulness and quality of the Playbook and Bold 9790.
    02-28-13 03:40 PM
    I had occasion to look at one of the competitors just now. The folks selling Windows 8 were doing a dog and pony show at the concourse in Wilfrid Laurier University, right across from the campus bookstore which selling exclusively Apple products in BB's home town. As an aside, an overwhelming number of students here walk around with Apple devices and the odd PC or android device.

A lot if what is already baked in to the PlayBook was in the Windows 8 machines (Samsung devices were being used) but it has a much much higher price tag. Still, it was enough to impress the students there.

The big plus for Windows 8 remains access to full-featured office suites. The rest of the features are similar to PlayBook features except I suppose the number of live tiles running or the number of apps you could display on a screen by pinching to shrink or zoom the tiles and icons.

On the minus side of course, there is no Balance feature so there is no possibility of having sandboxed personal and professional sides to the Win8 devices. I also didn't have the heart to point out their search feature is limited to doing a search in each specific app, a rather clumsy feature if you ask me given the massive effort towards integration everywhere else and something native to BB10. Seems like a huge oversight to me.

Something I don't get, and I did pass this on to the Win8 marketers there, was seeing a touch-based Windows 8 on a 26 inch screen. Something I have rarely been able to tolerate is a bunch of finger marks and streaks on a large monitor screen. The size of the screen ensures I will always be seeing the marks which would be a big distraction and egg me on to doing continual screen cleanings. A lot of the swiping and pinching could be relegated to a touch pad to save the screen's appearance. Part of the reason to put gestures on a phone or table's screen is the space limitation for a decent input device. Turn the screen into the input device on a phone or tablet and the screen can now take up the whole surface of the phone or tablet. There is no similar imperative for a desk-based device in an office.

If I had my druthers for an addition to the PlayBook apps, I would certainly like to have access to an office suite with more features than the bare bones versions currently available. What is there is good but a bit limited in formatting features when working on larger documents when I have to do some work on the road (and I don't mean while driving :P).
    02-28-13 04:58 PM
    I'm a rare forum poster but being a Blackberry newcomer and my history being with Apple (since the early 90's) and Nokia (till they went bad), I have to endorse the postings above. I am completely smitten with the Playbook. The GUI is excellent, better than Apple, the Bridge is remarkable and is its unique selling point. So why aren't Blackberry selling it? A lack of apps. That does not affect me as I'm far too old to play with toys. I would like to back up my camera card into the Playbook, but that I think is the only area which fails. I am fed up with the bling Apple is producing and am very comfortable with the usefulness and quality of the Playbook and Bold 9790.
    Tbh I agree. The only thing that really irritates me is a memory card slot. Everything else is excellent. Or at worse good enough and not a distraction
    02-28-13 06:39 PM
    We added a droid tablet to the household, & for the life of me I don't know why they don't build in gestures. I keep grabbing the playbook & my wife likes the dark side because it has "Netflix". About every app I'm missing I've been able to sideload.
    02-28-13 09:30 PM
    Own an Ipad... 3 Playbooks and android Tablet.... never use the Android..... the missus uses the Ipad for her online sim games..... Playbook is used everyday.... been that way since we brought our first upon launch..... in our household this is the best review every written....
    02-28-13 10:39 PM
    I'm asking myself about those people "working" on their playbook.
    "Working" on a 7 inch screen...
    "working" on the playbook knowing that attaching file for email with the playbook is the worst experience ever

Come on dude, STOP LYING plz

STOP THE : i got x ipad, x android tablets but i only use my perfect Playbook the others are taking dust
    You really think someone gonna buy that ?

The playbook isn't selling simply because it is not that good
    02-28-13 11:11 PM
    I'll buy it because the PlayBook IS a great device for work and play. You my friend are full of spit.
    "working" on the playbook knowing that attaching file for email with the playbook is the worst experience ever

STOP THE : i got x ipad, x android tablets but i only use my perfect Playbook the others are taking dust

Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-01-13 12:33 AM
    I love my playbook and what I want is a
    PlayBook 2 with a powerful chipset and 2+ GB RAM for future updates,a new high quality screen( the resolution should be same as Z10 so as for compatibility,but the colour reproduction and sunlight legibility should be much better)
    The build should be of good quality and should be sweat resistant...i mean no heat should be produced.

As of now I am loving Z10

Posted via CB10
    03-01-13 01:23 AM

Honestly I don't underatand how attaching something in an email is hard. You hit the icon, select files, and go.
    taz323 and luke.trevorrow like this.
    03-01-13 01:57 AM
    Just love the feel and use of the Playbook. I regularly go to the Apple store in Glasgow and 'accidently' use my Playbook in store. The graphics are excellent. The staff usually come over and want to use the Playbook. I have it tethered with my phone and all my devices update via wifi. I Enter details in the diary on any one device, and all have same details within 1 minute. I know I'm sad, but it's the joy of showing off the Playbook.

I do unfortunately use my Nexus 7, but only for Satnav. The Playbook turns off after 5 minutes as the developers have not set the programme to override the system.

Some kind of Magic? Oh yes.

Regards
    Last edited by rossjackson01; 03-01-13 at 02:50 AM.
    MarlenaRosie and goku_vegeta like this.
    03-01-13 02:38 AM

I go along with what you said. Forget others. They are (so called) fanboys.
    03-01-13 04:05 AM

You need to get off your high horse. Yes, I use the PB for "work:" read/respond to e-mails, open attachments, take notes/record meetings, draft/edit documents, etc. That's what most people do at work, no? The 7-inch screen is great for me; sure it could be bigger but so what? If I want bigger, I use my laptop. What I NEED is portability: I love being able to slip the PB in my pocket as I move hands-free around the compound while my iPad/android- toting colleagues are lugging theirs around by hand all day. I love being able to bridge my PB and access my messages and the Internet wherever I happen to be traveling.

We're a mixed family: I have a PB, while my wife has a Galaxy Tab. I've used her tab on occasion and don't think it's a bad machine at all; different strokes for different folks.

As for the future of PB, it doesn't matter that PB did not sell well on introduction two years ago. The company is still standing and BB have a chance to reintroduce themselves. With the price drop, a lot of people took a second look, and PB got good reviews especially after the new OS dropped. There will always be naysayers, but most of the ones I've met have never seen or used a PB; once they do, they're usually impressed. BB10 is getting good reviews, the big name apps are coming, and lazy critics who only focus on the games you can't play on PB will have to work a lot harder.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-01-13 04:11 AM
    I also use the PB for work, for emails, documents, taking notes at meetings and showing presentations over HDMI out. I love the fact that my portable office fits in a small messenger bag even with a folding Bluetooth keyboard. If I'm going out I just toss in my manbag (yes I got one...) and use it for reading books at the park or whatever.

I also love the fact that it's so cheap If I lose it or break it, I wouldn't mourn its loss compared to an iPad or Galaxy Tab. The PB also pairs with my Nokia phone for BT tethering so I don't need a separate tablet with a data plan.

The PB definitely needs some improvements on both hardware and software side. We need USB host support, Bluetooth file transfers, a proper default file manager and a better Android runtime. I hope BlackBerry deliver these features on BB10 soon for the PB.
    uncle_numpty likes this.
    03-01-13 05:44 AM
    Honestly I don't underatand how attaching something in an email is hard. You hit the icon, select files, and go.
    Have you tried attaching two or 3 photos when the pb presents all 3,000 photos? How about a doc when hundreds show up when you try attaching one. There are some Android work-arounds but one should not need those.
    kirikouestpetit likes this.
    03-01-13 09:40 AM
    An interesting article but the grammar is atrocious.
    03-01-13 09:55 AM
    This a 'fan', dedicated user site but it makes the Playbook no less fantastic. I came to it via WebOS, iPad (sold it quickly) and Sony S and P, quite by accident. I and my partner now have one, then her iPad user friend saw it and got one ditching iPad. My youngest sister ditched Windows and uses one. My oldest sister came to visit and went home with one. Biggest problem was getting her husband out of 'Windows think' my sister had no problem I put him into Crackberry.
    DawnMills likes this.
    03-01-13 11:28 AM
    Enyigma, I couldn't agree with you more. Sure, PB could use some hardware improvements which I am sure its next generation will fix. And yes! I don't need Angry Birds and games. Sorry for the majority 90% of people out there. I really can't complain about a very useful device with 64 GB which I paid US$199.
    03-01-13 05:11 PM
33 12