Hi Everyone,

Thought id show all Playbook fans a modification i have carried out in my VW Polo where i have fitted the BlackBerry PlayBook into my car dashboard. Let me know what you think???

Attachment 89879
    07-10-11 03:17 PM
    very nice, next time rotate the photo

What do you have it running? just media?

how is it powered?
    07-10-11 03:22 PM
    Wow, that's an amazingly perfect fit! The hole there was designed with the PB in mind.

Only thing I would do is go along the outside and add some rubber gasket material like something from here: door seals, rubber seals, rubber extrusions, window rubbers by seals direct to seal up the tiny gap left behind.

Otherwise, looks great!
    playbook rep likes this.
    07-10-11 03:22 PM
    great job.

had a polo as my first car. seeing this makes me miss mine. wana sell it? :P
    07-10-11 03:24 PM
    i have it running all my music media hd videos and also internet on the move as i own a Blackberry 9800 i have it bridged all the time. All sounds go through my whole stereo system in my car trough the 3.5m jack as my alpine headunit has a 3.5 jack input to sounds preety sweet. i just give it a full charge before i hit the road lasts me all day. i work for RIM in the U.K i train staff on the playbook so its fully removable for work.
    07-10-11 03:27 PM
    looks good.
    do you use your car's powe for the PB ?
    07-10-11 03:27 PM
    yepp i shall be removing the modification this weekend to carry out the finishing touches i will defo look into those rubber seals will make it look even better.

do i want to sell it no lol! i love my polo lol
    07-10-11 03:30 PM
    If you can get a seal to fit nicely, it might even provide enough friction to hold it in there nicely by itself. Put a little fabric strap behind it to pull on and it frees it from the friction, and you're set.

Now I want to rip out the navigation system on my 300C and replace it with a PB. Just need a GPS app that works well...
    07-10-11 03:33 PM
    it a perfect fit at the moment doesnt fall out or anything its solid i would consider those rubber seals as it would look better and slip out easier for work purposes as its provided by RIM free of charge as am employed by them lol There lots to come on the playbook i can tell you that guys should be great.
    07-10-11 03:39 PM
    it a perfect fit at the moment doesnt fall out or anything its solid i would consider those rubber seals as it would look better and slip out easier for work purposes as its provided by RIM free of charge as am employed by them lol There lots to come on the playbook i can tell you that guys should be great.
    indeed there is
    07-10-11 03:59 PM
    I'm hoping that they bring the Polo GTI with the 1.4TFSI engine over to the states. 170 HP and 46 MPG and the size of a true GTI! Love the integration you did there. I would love to see someone make a single DIN radio dock that you put the Playbook on and as soon as connected it brings you into the radio controls, Nav, etc.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-10-11 05:21 PM
    looks great!
    playbook rep likes this.
    07-10-11 05:27 PM
    hi mate,
    ye thats a nice polo my friend in the U.K owns one we re mapped the ECU last week its pushing 200BHP and its rapid trus me lol. ye that would be a nice modification with the single DIN radio dock who knows maybe some one will. i was bored so i just decided to modify my polo to fit the Blackberry Playbook lol
    07-10-11 05:30 PM
    Looks nice, good work!
    playbook rep likes this.
    07-10-11 06:29 PM
    This is big money for the dealers if they could integrate at the factory level. I want a factory install option. I would pay for the option, as would a lot of others. The playbook on wheels is would be a welcome fit in my car.

I have a new VW and I don't want a hack job, if I do it myself. I told my dealer they need to start taking out cigarette lighters and ash trays and put in integrated tablet connections and other needed features. I told him my next car will have this option and I hope it is a VW.
    07-10-11 07:23 PM
    exactly what one of my mates said after i did mine that it would be big money if i did approach a main dealership like vw with this idea. i know mine does not look like the cleanest install yet as i still have alot of work to do to it but i guess you can see the main concept of what it would be like.
    07-10-11 07:33 PM
    lol, nice.
    playbook rep likes this.
    07-10-11 07:42 PM
    Do any cars come with movie capable devices on the dash? In the back seat area, sure. But installing in the front is just asking for lawsuits if there's an accident, it seems to me.
    07-10-11 10:01 PM
    care to elaborate? I mean rely your the first Playbook rep that has come out to play. I like what you've done. But since your here? You can tell me, whos going to know.
    07-10-11 10:25 PM
    care to elaborate? I mean rely your the first Playbook rep that has come out to play. I like what you've done. But since your here? You can tell me, whos going to know.
    He's in the UK....won't be doing any elaborating till tomorrow - but yes, agreed: C'mon man - spill the beans!
    07-10-11 11:30 PM
    sorry confused guys what am i elaborating on? lol

its not illegal over here to have screens in the front of our cars even if we have music videos and that playing but no i donk think any cars over here come installed from factory with any movie capable devices on the dash. even with mine i remove it most times because i have to use it for work and its the property of RIM at the moment. lol
    07-11-11 02:45 AM
    Elaborate, in broad terms about what is to come
    07-11-11 04:54 AM
    lol! well i go down to the RIM head office every 2 weeks over here in the U.K. i can assure you google android apps will be coming to us very soon less than a month or so. i should hopefully know more next week as am back there for training i know there alot of rumours flying about it getting a native email client i havent heard to much about that to be honest with you mate. what i can do is send u a pm nxt week when i know more
    07-11-11 05:04 AM
    Nice integration of the PlayBook! I've thought of something similar also, still hesitant though. Keep us informed on the latest details of the next OS update!
    playbook rep likes this.
    07-11-11 05:07 AM
    NOBODY IS ABLE TO DO THIS WITH A IPAD! Great work!
    playbook rep likes this.
    07-11-11 05:33 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD