You could go with AstraSync, they offer fully on-device ActiveSync for BlackBerrys. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a PlayBook version.
    12-18-10 10:43 PM
    You could go with AstraSync, they offer fully on-device ActiveSync for BlackBerrys. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce a PlayBook version.
    The problem with Blackberry is that you always need a 3rd party company and its hosting services to do the same thing other platforms can do natively directly on the device. This is the weakness of Backberry... it's a dumb terminal design because the design was conceptualized when dumb terminals were popular... all RIM did was mobilize it.
    12-18-10 10:53 PM
    The problem with Blackberry is that you always need a 3rd party company and its hosting services to do the same thing other platforms can do natively directly on the device. This is the weakness of Backberry... it's a dumb terminal design because the design was conceptualized when dumb terminals were popular... all RIM did was mobilize it.
    That only applies to ActiveSync, and only because RIM offers BES which is superior in features and performance. ActiveSync is good for cost and ease of setup, I don't see it having any other features over BES. Even the cost argument is kind of weak (though not invalid) now that there's BESX. It's not like ActiveSync doesn't also require configuration and maintenance.

Yes, there's BIS, but for ActiveSync to GMail vs BIS the amount that's done server-side is about the same. It's just a difference of who runs the server. The only thing RIM really takes to the server for BIS is POP3/IMAP e-mail, but there BIS is a massive advantage, so I definitely don't see any issues. Also, few people don't have push e-mail, so this is a minority case.

Mobile phones are getting more powerful in terms of processing, but battery technology has not made the same rapid advances. Servers don't consume battery, so I'd like as much processing as possible to take place as there, provided I don't incur a significant performance penalty (significant depends on exactly what I'm doing).
    12-19-10 12:43 AM
    Actually, ActiveSync doesn't require additional config and maintenance. It's activated and setup as part of the AD/Exchange server install. It also doesn't require a separate box to be configured on like BES does. RIM only supports BESX on the same box as Exchange. With BES, you still need another server box for it.

Unlike BES and BESX, there's no maintenance associated with ActiveSync on the Exchange server. None... Any maintenance you do is on Exchange alone. Even then, since 2003 Exchange, it's pretty much bulletproof and just works. 2010 is even more so maintenance free. Also, you don't have to worry about having both servers up for mobile email to work or that RIM isn't experiencing an outage. As long as the Exchange server is up and the company's Internet gateway is up, you're good to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 12:57 AM
    I wouldn't call ActiveSync configuration free, and yes I've installed Exchange and configured it with ActiveSync (test environment only though). For me, the BESX I run in my house was not a significant amount of additional work after installing Exchange. I went from an empty VM to installed and configured Windows Server, ActiveDirectory PDC, Exchange and BESX in about 12 hours. In a business you probably wouldn't put these all on one machine, but this is my house. I had no previous experience with BES(X) of any sort, and I'm certainly not an Exchange expert. Obviously a full production configuration would take some more time for Exchange, but I'd consider the BESX production ready.

Given that you install BESX on the same server as Exchange the additional hardware requirements are quite limited, it's basically just more RAM.

So yes, it is more work, the point is that for any business large enough to be running their own e-mail infrastructure it's a small enough amount of work. You also need to consider the extra features BESX has. The number one reason I wanted a BESX in my house was secure VPN-like access to the network, including native browsing of SMB shares. There's no good equivalent to BES(X) for that, VPN just isn't meant for mobile networks.

To me it still looks like an easy win in the enterprise space. BESX doesn't have extra licensing costs, and tiny hardware costs. The only real costs there are configuration and maintenance, and a business has to weight that against the additional features and security. Obviously some enterprises are moving away, but I suspect this is driven more by employee demand. BlackBerry has the unfortunate situation where many corporate users are still on 8300s, and compare their phone to their friends iPhone 4. I'd probably take an iPhone 4 over an 8300, but that's because it's not even close to a fair competition.

BES is a different issue. BES provides a feature set that's not available via ActiveSync or any other enterprise push system I am aware of. It comes with additional cost, but if your business needs those features then you have special requirements.
    12-19-10 04:06 AM
    I am new to BB - I love my BB Torch. I also love my nook. I want a tablet primarily to read barnes and noble ebooks, and search and email with the web.
    I am torn between the nookcolor and the playbook. I know the nookcolor will be a fantastic ereader. But I am tempted by the playbook's ability to tether to my torch for web browsing when I'm traveling (we RV camp a lot). If I know the playbook will have the Barnes and Noble app (as does my torch-the app works fine, but the screen is too small for serious reading) then I will probably go with the playbook. How will I find this out when the playbook is released? Thanks for your time!
    02-06-11 09:47 PM
    I just got my own Playbook couple days ago and I like it a lot. Great device. I got it at Best Buy for $280 (BB price matched it with Bell store plus i got 10% difference). One thing that i can say for sure that Playbook has the best screen from all tablets on the market.
    It feels great in hand. it is not too big and not too small. perfect for day to day work.
    11-08-11 10:18 PM
    Wow - talk about bumping up an old thread! Welcome anyway!
    11-08-11 11:36 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD