I purchased a Blackberry Playbook from Amazon this week. I plugged it in, and tried charging it over night. Unless it is plugged in, nothing happens when I turn it on. If it is plugged in, the red light comes on for about 22 seconds, then changes to green, yellow, then off. I have used the charger that came with it. Did I purchase something that is never going to work?

Thanks for all the input people. I upgraded my BlackBerry Desktop, then I kept plugging it into my laptop, and after about 5 or 6 tries, it updated the software in the Tablet. This took about 20 minutes, then I was able to charge it using the charger that came with it. It had to upgrade again once the power level was at 20%. All is good now, so there is hope. I love it.
    Last edited by SJAnhorn; 12-13-13 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Change in status
    12-11-13 12:08 AM
    There can be one of two things wrong. The charging port maybe messed up. Somethings, its as simple as letting it charge overnight while off. It'll fix itself. Another option is to buy a rapid charger. There's 2 ways to charge the PlayBook and the rapid port is a great option and it's very cheap these days on amazon.

'Mens Fashion & Lifestyle' bbmc:C001214D9
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 12:42 AM
    There is a third and fourth option, try stack charging (do a forum search) or just do an exchange or return (fifth option)

Q10 running10.2.1.1055 leak and loving it!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 12:45 AM
    Most probably came with no battery charge at all. Therefore as mentioned put it on the fast charger or maybe on the computer, it needs to charge a little bit once battery reaches 10% then your regular charger will do the rest.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:50 AM
    Thanks, I did order a rapid charger, but haven't received it yet. I guess I will just have to wait for it.
    12-11-13 01:17 AM
    The most important issue with the PlayBook is that it needs battery power to be able to charge the battery. I guess your battery came completely drained, and you'll need to do a stack charge, search for it on the forums.

C000F331C channel
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 03:00 AM
    Of course as suggested in a previous post you should check the micro usb port for damage. If you insert a micro usb plug upside down you can damage the port by bending the little tab inside of it. The plug should be inserted with the Blackberry symbol up. See manual. Suggest marking both charger plug and the other cable you get for plugging into the computer with a dot of fingernail polish to help prevent mistake. Once you get the rapid charger you will put the other one in a drawer and forget about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 09:01 AM
    Most probably came with no battery charge at all. Therefore as mentioned put it on the fast charger or maybe on the computer, it needs to charge a little bit once battery reaches 10% then your regular charger will do the rest.

Posted via CB10
    Plugging into the USB on PC for PB charge in this state won't work. At best, if the PB has nominal charge state, the pc will VERY slowly adding to it.
    The USB 2.0 does not have enough current. IF you have USB 3 with Thunderbolt, that I believe has more current.

THE BEST thing to get is the Rapid Travel Charger, has a magnetic connector to connect to the 3 contact port (the same one as the Charging Dock) and you can "plug it in" in the dark, just get it close, and it will snap to connect. It also saves on wear and tear on the USB
    Data/Charging port, so it's there when you REALLY need it.

c
    12-11-13 09:10 AM
    I purchased a Blackberry Playbook from Amazon this week. I plugged it in, and tried charging it over night. Unless it is plugged in, nothing happens when I turn it on. If it is plugged in, the red light comes on for about 22 seconds, then changes to green, yellow, then off. I have used the charger that came with it. Did I purchase something that is never going to work?
    What type of charger came with the pb?

Is it a fixed cable type or a plug with a usb connection?
    12-11-13 09:17 AM
    What type of charger came with the pb?
    An important point. It needs to be the yellow coloured plug, not a normal phone charger one.
    12-11-13 09:37 AM
    An important point. It needs to be the yellow coloured plug, not a normal phone charger one.
    Yellow? My PBs came with a Wall Charger that plugs into the USB/Charging port. Color: Black.
    A phone charger does not have the current to charge the PB, I MUST be 1.7/1.8 amp output. PC USB is about .5 amp MAX.

c
    kbz1960 and mkelley65 like this.
    12-11-13 09:43 AM
    Seems like another member here had that problem with an Amazon purchased PB. You can read through this post and see if you want to tackle the problem. Personally, I'd just send it back. Amazon is pretty good about that:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...pb-doa-842300/
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 09:45 AM
    Yellow? My PBs came with a Wall Charger that plugs into the USB/Charging port. Color: Black.
    A phone charger does not have the current to charge the PB, I MUST be 1.7/1.8 amp output. PC USB is about .5 amp MAX.

c
    The black tipped one is the phone charger with the lower output I believe.
    12-11-13 09:54 AM
    The black tipped one is the phone charger with the lower output I believe.
    Look on the label of the charger and verify the output voltage......
    I don't have the OEM PB wall charger here at work or I would post an image of it. Can you post an image?
    The output should be 5 volts/1.8 amp output for the Playbook.

c
    c
    12-11-13 09:59 AM

c
    A couple of references which may help. First is the Knowledge Base article KB 27705. The second is the Tool Kit which has a section on the PB.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...pl#documentTop

http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.co...?lang=1&id=223

Please note that KB 27705 states charging from a computer USB port is restricted to 0.4 amps.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 09:59 AM
    I just activated a 32 GB playbook I got from Walmart in November 2012. Plugged in the rapid charger and it started charging right away. After a couple of hours it had 86% charge so I set it up with no problems.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 10:04 AM
    I just activated a 32 GB playbook I got from Walmart in November 2012. Plugged in the rapid charger and it started charging right away. After a couple of hours it had 86% charge so I set it up with no problems.
    There ya go........

c
    12-11-13 10:12 AM
    Fixed cable with the little box at the end.
    12-11-13 11:00 AM
    Fixed cable with the little box at the end.
    Sounds like it, "box-ish" in shape, not rectagnular like the phone things. Label should state:
    5 volts/1.8 amp output for the Playbook .

c
    12-11-13 11:13 AM
    I give up?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 11:28 AM
    I give up?
    Y

c
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-11-13 12:17 PM
    Y

c
    Z Is this a guessing game or can anyone join in?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 12:26 PM
    Z Is this a guessing game or can anyone join in?
    You typed " I give up" and I asked y??????
    If you want to make it a guessing game, go ahead, and keep playing, and you can guess when to stop.....
    c
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-11-13 12:40 PM
    You typed " I give up" and I asked y??????
    If you want to make it a guessing game, go ahead, and keep playing, and you can guess when to stop.....
    c
    I guess "RED"? What did I win?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-11-13 12:44 PM
    I guess "RED"? What did I win?
    A package of microwave POPCORN......

c
    sad_old_man likes this.
    12-11-13 12:46 PM
34 12