It is not a very good sign when BlackBerry needs higher RAM to deliver the same experience that the competition can deliver at almost half hour RAM. It clearly indicates the design of the OS isn't the best as when memory hogging apps will come by, we will see more applications crash than on other phones with the same RAM. BlackBerry has always pushed BB10 as a QNX system that will require lower resources to deliver a better experience. The plot seems to be lost now. It doesn't help either when BlackBerry refuses to stay ahead in the hardware race and will never pack higher RAMs.
    This excuse might be acceptable now due to the OS being in the nascent stage. But, BlackBerry has to ensure optimisation in terms of RAM utilisation.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and blueberrymerry like this.
    07-21-13 06:47 PM
    When someone lies to you,
    Do you think he is a really passionate CEO,
    or just a p#$!%
    When someone barks about it constantly on CrackBerry, does he do anything about it?
    07-21-13 07:52 PM
    It is not a very good sign when BlackBerry needs higher RAM to deliver the same experience that the competition can deliver at almost half hour RAM. It clearly indicates the design of the OS isn't the best as when memory hogging apps will come by, we will see more applications crash than on other phones with the same RAM. BlackBerry has always pushed BB10 as a QNX system that will require lower resources to deliver a better experience. The plot seems to be lost now. It doesn't help either when BlackBerry refuses to stay ahead in the hardware race and will never pack higher RAMs.
    This excuse might be acceptable now due to the OS being in the nascent stage. But, BlackBerry has to ensure optimisation in terms of RAM utilisation.

Posted via CB10
    Good observations. An issue being that if a phone or its OS needs more memory than the competition, the phone needs to cost more then the competition to provide that additional Ram. And if it costs more initially, it has to really blow away the competition.
    07-21-13 08:50 PM
    The problem is that this slap in the face for a lot of pb devs will be auto interpreted as "what might happen to the z/q/a10, and for that reason, some or a lot of them might decide not to bother. Its always sad to see a company rave about something and then just drop it (ex: palm/hp)

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 08:58 PM
    lorax1284.

Now I am lying + exagerating...? Great... Now we the frustrated customers are lyars and shouldn't respond...because that is the way it goes... we should accept it and get on with our business because we are realistic? And because we don't matter to anyone?
    No. If you think by doing nothing is the perfect choice for you than keep sticking with BB and their policies.
    The fact is BB is a world known company and its reputation means something for future business. The brand is important esspecially for Big Companies.Everything that damages their reputation is bad... If we all shout, make us heard somehow, maybe someone will notice and this incident will not pass by like the BB wants too. If we make our voices loud and we speak that this is not ok and that we are many... maybe maybe they will realise that a lot of people are unsatisfied with their treatment and decisions and maybe they will see that this could affect them in the future ( damage to the brand name, and lose a lot of customers) Its not about remorse.. Do you think i am expecting remorse from them? No. I want something for my money. Not promises and deceptions. I can't do nothing with remorses.
    Hey I am not raging because BB10 is not coming to PB. I am raging cause after 2 years of waiting the BB to fulfill their promises they not only are not fulfilling their promises but they are dumping the whole ideea of Playbook to the trash and forget they have something like this and that people paid money for them and believed in the BB plans.
    And those people are not just a few and we can see here how many are unsatisfied in this thread. For us not speaking what we don't like is letting them know that they can get away with it. For not doing nothing, nothing will happen. For at least trying to show that we are not happy is at least doing something and maybe they will see that there are a lot of customers unhappy and they could lose them in the future... And maybe they will do something about it..
    I know its a long shot, and very unlikely to happen but its better than keeping your head down and accept everything cause you don't count. We count. We are a lot of people and so we count.
    And another thing... I don't know about you... But i buy a tablet for more than just web surfing. I buy it for all its capabilities. And when i buyed it, i buyed it for future so i can use it more years to come. I had to make a decision and choose the PB over other tablets because its future that it was promised... If i wanted just to surf the web with a tablet i would have buyed a cheaper one( from a ghost company- there are lots of them) with only the basic stuff. It does its job surfing the web. No? Why then choose playbook if i use it for surfing and you are saying its not dead because of that...
    When i say dead and all the people here, i think we are mentioning that BB is leaving the Playbook ''to die'' slowly. Because it wont support it with nothing... and all the future will go to other products. Apps will no longer be for Playbook, the ones that exist maybe in the future will be not good because they will need an upgrade and nobody will even make an effort to make these apps work or update them, no future bug fixes, no updates necesairy for everyday use, etc. The tablet will become as time passes useless because it won't have support for future needs.
    And when i say it is dying its a figure of speech. I am not a liar. You should have understood this... When an object becomes useless we say it ''dies''... So lets give some examples:
    - fax. There are faxes in the world even now and they work. So they are not dead? There exist white and black tv's that work even now... So they are not dead? Public payphones... There are and work... They are not dead? Old typewritters... old but work and do their job. Aren't they dead? Old celulars still exist somewhere on this world and work... aren't they dead? Etc.
    So it depends what you understand by dead. For me an object that becomes useless in the near future compared to others is dead.... because it won't be recognized even by the company that build them and sold them... So for them the tablet is dead/history and to me is not? So don't call me a liar because me and the other Playbook owners have the right to speak our frustration and to complain at such a poor treatment from BB or any other company that doesn't respect its customers that buys their products and brings them money.
    Maybe as a singular ''I am unworthy of serious consideration'' but as many as we are expresing our opinions, we are worthy, because we supported BB in difficult times and have been patient for 2 years waiting BB to fulfill their promises. And now we should not respond or complain? Because you say we exagerate and we lie? I think its a normal response after that treatment and i don't think we are lying and exagerating at all after a blow like that after 2 years of waiting.. and now not being able to even hope for some kind of support whatsoever.
    Ragwan, AlexG60, AlexXF and 2 others like this.
    07-21-13 09:14 PM
    I think Mike and Jim had a vision, a good concept for a tablet that could be Ipad killer. What they underestimated was the lack of eco system to support that and the very limited time to execute properly. Playbook was ahead of it's time when it was conceived. It looks really good on paper. The product was release immature. Thor had to pick up where both Ceos left off and try to jump ahead with BB10. Same thing happen to Thor. On paper BB10 on the playbook would have make a greater impact on the launch of Z10 and Q10 had it been successful port over with the current eco system last year. Seems like the company run out of time and losing it's market share rapidly for them to launch a well develop devices. The rush to put either the playbook in the market and the BB10 devices certainly seal the company reputation for poor execution. It's neither here nor there. So far the leaked on the Aristo is not impressive to say the least. Another fail attempt to wow customers will be the last nail to the coffin. What else is there for the fans to look forward to? Never mind getting new customers, the company can't even keep the current subscribers to stay loyal to the brand. Compounded by the mishandled of the playbook debacle, the word on the street is not going to be kind to BB. Let's hope the launch of BBM across all platform yield some positive result. Time is not on this company side.
    Ragwan, RJB55 and AlexG60 like this.
    07-21-13 09:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    *cough**cough* quarter ram *cough* iPad 2 *cough*
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    07-21-13 10:09 PM
    Now I am lying + exagerating...? Great...
    Go back and read my post again. The point is I agree with you, and think you come across as 'raving'. You may not agree, but YOUR opinion of what YOU sound like doesn't really matter... but I honestly don't care one iota. I wrote what I wrote to help YOU get your point across. If you think screaming from the rooftops and running through the streets proclaiming Thorsten Heins is Satan incarnate will serve your cause, please PLEASE I beg you continue to do so because it's so terribly entertaining for everyone else... but I think it is ineffective or worse, makes people tune out what would otherwise be a compelling consumer activist message. But you gotta be you. Be the best you you can be. Plenty of people love watching train wrecks, but I'm not one of them. Good bye.
    TheScionicMan and Thunderbuck like this.
    07-22-13 08:53 AM
    Can ios7 run iOs apps and android apps? BB10 is heavy on memory for a reason. Hub is loaded with all your emails, texts and anything(always running) android player I'm sure also takes a chunk.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    I wish the hub had ALL my emails. Too bad it only goes back 30 days.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    07-22-13 09:21 AM
    I can understand completely the business rationale for halting any Playbook development. So now that I have a Z10 which I enjoy thoroughly, what should we do about a tablet. My playbook is functional for now, but which other tablet should be on my radar.....or do I wait to see if there is something in the development pipeline from BBRY that will compliment my smartphone and put a huge smile on my face?? Any thoughts from the nation?
    07-22-13 09:38 AM
    The new Nexus 7 that will come out in the next couple of months should be pretty much the best choice in specs and price. I have the first Nexus 7, and I personally think it's the best tablet I've ever owned.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 09:58 AM
    I can understand completely the business rationale for halting any Playbook development. So now that I have a Z10 which I enjoy thoroughly, what should we do about a tablet. My playbook is functional for now, but which other tablet should be on my radar.....or do I wait to see if there is something in the development pipeline from BBRY that will compliment my smartphone and put a huge smile on my face?? Any thoughts from the nation?
    I'm in the similar position. I will use my playbooks until it dies. I don't think the market has come out with a perfect tablet yet. I've been scouring the internet and looking at the specs of some of the latest, despite the suggestion by several members here, not one tablet make me want to store away my playbooks. Imho, playbook as a tablet still relevant without the update. Unless you need the kind of ecosystem like Ipad, there's no need to hurry replace it. Though I hope with the rumbles of the owners here, Thor and company take notice and make some positive contribution towards the playbook owners in terms of OS update. I also hope a couple of devs would continue to update and provide more games and apps to serve the community.
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    07-22-13 10:06 AM
    I haven't posted in a while mostly due to all of the bashing that is thrown at people that have a different opinion. Even those that have owned or continue to own BB devices fall victim to insults when they step out and voice not so approving opinions of RIM. Nevertheless, I'm ready to take my hit. So many comments have been posted that the playbook owners need to get over it and move on...this latest one struck a nerve with me because yes life is short but I'm not upset about a "piece of plastic" I'm upset about the pieces of green (all $600+) spent when the PB came out. I'm disappointed at the end result. As Blaze said I'm letting my PB die. But the one lesson I will take away from the experience is never to trust anyone that says "in the future we will have..." nor will I believe that the apps that come with the device are guaranteed to remain (netflix, hulu).
    07-22-13 10:34 AM
    Some interesting posts on this thread - I'll chime in with my incoherent ramblings.

The PB is 'useable' for me as it covers my major needs on browsing and email, but it's definitely missing a number of key apps (office/writepad/skype/UK movie store etc) to turn it into the major computing device it could be for me.

This could have been fixed in one foul swoop by BB10 and so I am dissapointed to not get BB10 (although I think it was a bonus to be getting it in the first place). However, I'm p***** off at getting no update whatsoever as for me, as eveb with an android runtime update (which we could then go sideloading on) then it would be substantially improved and would hit the majority of marks for me (especially if the USB was activated properly!).

I'm mulling swapping to another device... but given I'm steering away from the apple ecosystem I'm left with a bit of a quandry:
    - Essentially an android tablet like the Samsung Note series could be very good for my needs, but is expensive and more than I'm willing to pay.
    - The Nexus /soon to be updated Nexus line also could be good with a better price point - but it doesn't have a HDMI out and is more limited on storage.
    - Windows RT tablet - could be a fantastic tablet, if only the wrinkles get sorted and the apps start flowing but I can't help feel Deja Vu and on a hiding to nothing after the PB experience.

The bottom line is that, as I'm a tight wad, the solutions available to be are also a bit of a compromise or a gamble.

I'm going to hold out a bit longer that some bright spark can root the PB - either to upgrade elements of the OS or to install android as then I would have sufficient hardware, OS and apps to make the PB work. In the mean time, the right tablet for me might come out or drop into my price point!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-22-13 11:06 AM
    - Windows RT tablet - could be a fantastic tablet, if only the wrinkles get sorted and the apps start flowing but I can't help feel Deja Vu and on a hiding to nothing after the PB experience.
    Stay far, far away from the RT version of Surface. It was a very bad idea that Microsoft is now being hammered over. It will be gone from the tech landscape before you know it... unless, of course, you want to relive the whole Playbook experience all over again. In that case, I highly recommend the Surface RT.
    FF22 and flyingsolid like this.
    07-22-13 11:14 AM
    Blackberry seems prone to "foul" swoops. The first Nexus 7 is a nice tablet with some deficiencies. The new model with it's reported super screen, improved front and added rear cameras, better processor and slim port will be something to consider.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-22-13 11:17 AM
    Some interesting posts on this thread - I'll chime in with my incoherent ramblings.

The PB is 'useable' for me as it covers my major needs on browsing and email, but it's definitely missing a number of key apps (office/writepad/skype/UK movie store etc) to turn it into the major computing device it could be for me.

This could have been fixed in one foul swoop by BB10 and so I am dissapointed to not get BB10 (although I think it was a bonus to be getting it in the first place). However, I'm p***** off at getting no update whatsoever as for me, as eveb with an android runtime update (which we could then go sideloading on) then it would be substantially improved and would hit the majority of marks for me (especially if the USB was activated properly!).

I'm mulling swapping to another device... but given I'm steering away from the apple ecosystem I'm left with a bit of a quandry:
    - Essentially an android tablet like the Samsung Note series could be very good for my needs, but is expensive and more than I'm willing to pay.
    - The Nexus /soon to be updated Nexus line also could be good with a better price point - but it doesn't have a HDMI out and is more limited on storage.

The bottom line is that, as I'm a tight wad, the solutions available to be are also a bit of a compromise or a gamble.

I'm going to hold out a bit longer that some bright spark can root the PB - either to upgrade elements of the OS or to install android as then I would have sufficient hardware, OS and apps to make the PB work. In the mean time, the right tablet for me might come out or drop into my price point!
    If you consider a full windows 8 tablet, you won't have to worry so much about apps, as it will run windows programs just like your desktop or laptop.
    ifarlow likes this.
    07-22-13 11:17 AM
    If you consider a full windows 8 tablet, you won't have to worry so much about apps, as it will run windows programs just like your desktop or laptop.
    I should have added that to the list - it seems very capable but similar to the Note in a bit pricey for me at the mo.
    07-22-13 12:28 PM
    I am amazed at how much money was spent on marketing bbry, yet an independent developer develops an awesome browser, Origmi.
    07-22-13 12:53 PM
    I should have added that to the list - it seems very capable but similar to the Note in a bit pricey for me at the mo.
    True, but if you can catch a good sale, you can find one for under $400. Depending on how much you use a tablet, it may very well be a good investment. Cheers.
    07-22-13 01:14 PM
    Stay far, far away from the RT version of Surface. It was a very bad idea that Microsoft is now being hammered over. It will be gone from the tech landscape before you know it... unless, of course, you want to relive the whole Playbook experience all over again. In that case, I highly recommend the Surface RT.
    One caveat: if I can snag a Surface Rt with keyboard for around $100 US, I am not going to hesitate on making that purchase. It all comes down to form and function versus investment. I don't have that much skin in the game, so its easy for me to think I'm coming out ahead on the deal.
    07-22-13 01:28 PM
    One caveat: if I can snag a Surface Rt with keyboard for around $100 US, I am not going to hesitate on making that purchase.

We all have our thresholds... if yours is $100, then go for it. Mine is much lower. I just don't think sinking any money into the RT version is worth it. But then again, I have spent a fair share on the iPad mini, and I have no doubt that others consider that too much money to spend on a tablet.
    07-22-13 01:32 PM
    The new Nexus 7 that will come out in the next couple of months should be pretty much the best choice in specs and price. I have the first Nexus 7, and I personally think it's the best tablet I've ever owned.

Posted via CB10
    I'd agree, if it weren't for the size and the large bezel. I've found the iPad 4 to be the best, size wise. It just suits me. If they made a Nexus 10 i'd give that a go.
    07-22-13 05:43 PM
    I picked up an Asus Transformer TF600 on sale for $399 with the keyboard dock... I like it quite a bit. I believe there will continue to be "WebWorks" style apps that will run on both Windows 8 "FULL" and "RT" and so Win8RT isn't dead yet. There are Windows Phone devices running almost as high resolution as Windows 8 RT specs, so I'm sure there's a future for apps that will run on Windows Phone, Windows 8 RT and Windows 8, um Full version but what do they call it when it's not "Windows Desktop"? Whatever. The Windows RT tablet I have is nice enough, and it's gesture-y like PlayBook, but I'd still prefer to use the PlayBook if the darn thing had Bridge restored.
    07-22-13 10:32 PM
    No tablet on the OS means you go elsewhere. Eventually, you migrate completely elsewhere because people buy systems. You have an iphone, you'll get an ipad. You have an android phone, you'll get an android tablet (the exceptions need not spam me; you're a minority). So without a BB tablet, it's really over for BB10. I realized that cake was baked when Heins first said there'd be no more tablets from Rim. Since then, I decided to wait for the next N7 to complement my android phone, or check out a windows tablet since I've got Win 8 on my laptop.

The message here is, don't buy a BB10 phone at this point. Just pick your alternative and go to it, cause you're going anyway when you replace your PB. And remember, it was BB's decision, not yours.
    ViBogdan, FF22 and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    07-22-13 11:59 PM
732 ... 1617181920 ...