Have you ever tried and failed?

That Thorsten character publicly committed repeatedly to bringing OS10 to all Playbooks.

He says he failed on that commitment and won't proceed on that commitment further.

Okay. An honorable businessperson who fails on a commitment to customers who have paid for that businessperson's product (such as the people who bought Playbooks due to Thorsten's H's repeated public announcements) would find a way to otherwise make those customers whole.

A reasonable manner in which Thorsten could make his Playbook customers whole would be to ensure that Blackberry provide full Bridge functionality on OS10 software, provide a better web browser on the Playbook, and make other substantial upgrades on the Playbook's software.

To date, Blackberry has informed Playbook owners that Playbooks will receive no significant updates.

That course of action constitutes unethical behavior--the kind that rightfully ruins a businessperson's or a company's credibility.
    07-19-13 09:09 AM
    The above post was a response to the following quote from one of the numerous Blackberry fanboy apologists who post here:

"Have you ever tried and failed?"
    07-19-13 09:11 AM
    Actually, yes I do communicate...apologize...make amends...whatever it takes...lol...in the bb situation, I see a company under the gun, trying to desperately follow through until the end, but unable to put forward a quality product, so the direction changes.

This happens in business all the time...let's not forget,this company also has shareholders to report to...not just PB owners.

Give it a bit of time, and you'll see the wisdom of the decision. I'm certain of it.
    Yet it did not cause you that much to do so right? As an investors are you not worry how this company is handling this pb debacle? Never mind the technical issue or what the company priority is. The simple fact is basic communication. The way they behave as if the company gone bankrupt, owing unpaid bills and employees wages and refuse to take any call. We all deal with all kinds of companies all the time, never have I encounter such incompetence of handling a problem. The longer the company drag it out, the worst is going to get. Any company would have nip it in the bud months ago. The simple psychology is you do not drag on an issue. You do not give vague answer, not yes, no, maybe , perhaps. Make a firm decision and follow through. This is a billion dollar corporation, you gotta have people never mind the top management who are capable of making decisions.
    Unfortunately, regardless of what BB is going to do at this point, the management did considerable damage to the company reputation not just within it's industry rather a company in general.
    Last edited by bambinoitaliano; 07-19-13 at 09:32 AM.
    07-19-13 09:18 AM
    Give it a bit of time, and you'll see the wisdom of the decision. I'm certain of it.
    Wisdom ? you call that wisdom ? (with Han Solo's voice)

When I make a commitment towards my clients ( repeatedly), I'll honor it , no matter what it costs me. Or I will be a clown.
    You cannot promise to do something at this level of decision/power and then realize that all what you said was bullsh*t.

A promise must be held. If you aren't sure that you can deliver something, don't promise it. Don't Promise What You Can't Deliver!
    If a blackberry developer gave him insurance that it could be done and then failed to fulfill his pledge, then this (these) person(s) must be fired.
    Or else, go fire youlself Mr Thorsten.
    07-19-13 09:52 AM
    Has there been any sort of apology? I missed it. But yes, it's less now about BB10 not coming, and more about the self-satisfied, one-word Alec Saunders "Confirmed" when asked if this meant PB would be getting no more significant updates at all.

We don't really have to work ourselves into a froth, BB is doing that quite well on their own. "Nothing" is quite the downgrade from a commitment to BB10 barely 6 months ago.

Ill will doesn't just come out of thin air. They have done everything to bring it on themselves. 2-some million tablets may just be a drop in a bucket in the global tablet market, but it's a good chunk of BlackBerry customers.

Their brilliant decisions of late have not really been shoring up the stock price either. Oh, I know, "Soon" we will see the benefits of that too.
    07-19-13 09:59 AM
    But we can't verify if he had a sexual relationship with the devil in the blue dress.
    Actually I believe that was somewhat proved, "to a reasonable degree of scientific certainty", by DNA tests run on "stains" found the infamous blue dress wasn't it? On the other hand Clinton may have somehow spilled a lab sample on her by accident. These things happen all the time I'm told. And who can argue with; "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." ?

The Stained Blue Dress of Monica Lewinsky that Almost Lost a Presidency
    07-19-13 10:10 AM
    Alec Saunders is an SOB and Thorsten Heins is a MoFu.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Alec is on this forum and also on twitter. Man up and call him that to his face. Or better yet, leave the personal attacks out of it with people you don't know personally.
    07-19-13 10:11 AM
    Very disappointing. The way they have handled the PlayBook the past year has really been a joke. Terrible PR for them with some of their best customers. The Playbook for me was a good $130 tablet that does basic things fairly well, but I would not buy another BB product given how this went down. I was hoping at least for a keyboard tweak and some browser work. Too bad, so sad!
    I thought you NHS in Merry Olde England was piloting an electronic health records system based on the BlackBerry PlayBook . The announcements was not too many months ago. Way to go Thorsten!

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    07-19-13 10:16 AM
    Actually I believe that was somewhat proved, "to a reasonable degree of scientific certainty", by DNA tests run on "stains" found the infamous blue dress wasn't it? On the other hand Clinton may have somehow spilled a lab sample on her by accident. These things happen all the time I'm told. And who can argue with; "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." ?

The Stained Blue Dress of Monica Lewinsky that Almost Lost a Presidency
    A man can't have wet dreams on broad day light?
    07-19-13 10:18 AM
    Wisdom ? you call that wisdom ? (with Han Solo's voice)

When I make a commitment towards my clients ( repeatedly), I'll honor it , no matter what it costs me. Or I will be a clown.
    You cannot promise to do something at this level of decision/power and then realize that all what you said was bullsh*t.

A promise must be held. If you aren't sure that you can deliver something, don't promise it. Don't Promise What You Can't Deliver!
    If a blackberry developer gave him insurance that it could be done and then failed to fulfill his pledge, then this (these) person(s) must be fired.
    Or else, go fire youlself Mr Thorsten.
    They might even get away with it , if they offer a half azz apology.
    07-19-13 10:19 AM
    Alec is on this forum and also on twitter. Man up and call him that to his face. Or better yet, leave the personal attacks out of it with people you don't know personally.
    I'd gladly tell that Thorsten guy he's a piece of garbage to his face. When can he be in Los Angeles for that experience?

I worked for years in a business where certain customers would take swings at salespersons who treated the customers like Blackberry has treated its Playbook customers. That Thorsten jerk would have lasted about one day in that business.

As far as another one of your stupid comments, did people have to know Hitler or Stalin personally to issue personal attacks against them?
    Last edited by ubeda92; 07-19-13 at 10:48 AM.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-19-13 10:34 AM
    It's a simple "usage of the English language" thing... "misled", "misinformed", ill-advised", "overly-ambitious" and a number of other words or phrases are far more appropriate for this particular situation, absent proof of an intent to deceive -- and frankly I am completely puzzled by assertions to the contrary!

If I tell you today that I'm healthy -- but I get the flu next month -- did I lie?

If I tell you I plan to be home from work at 6pm, leave at my normal time which has historically always gotten me home prior to 6pm, and then there's an overturned big rig closing all 3 lanes of traffic on the freeway, and I'm between exits with nowhere to go -- so I end up being 2 hours late -- did I lie?

If I told you I lived in Colorado, but next year I moved to Texas -- did I lie?

If I told you I lived in New Mexico, and had absolutely zero plans to ever leave New Mexico, and tomorrow I found out my employer was shutting down all operations in New Mexico, and moving us all to Arizona -- did I lie?

If I tell you my factory in Puerto Rico intends to produce X number of widgets this year -- and then there's a giant earthquake that destroys the factory -- did I lie?

If you told me today that your wife wasn't pregnant, and that you weren't actively working on her becoming so -- then tomorrow she tells you the stick turned blue -- did you lie?

If I tell you right now that I still have one living grandparent, and as I press send on this message I get a phone call telling me she fell down the stairs and hour ago and perished -- did I lie?

Seriously -- I don't get it! To claim "yes" to any of the above makes absolutely zero sense to me! Thus my assertion that absent an intent to deceive, there is no "lie".

For one to feel otherwise must make for a very unhappy and miserable life with everyone "lying" to you all the time!

It's actually kinda sad with all the continued vein-popping blood-pressure spiking "TH is a dirty rotten lying rat b@$****" emotional reactions, and seemingly-choosing to take what happened as an intentional slight directed personally at yourselves... when the only evidence you have is your own upset at the situation -- which just gets perpetuated amongst yourselves into a viscous never-ending cycle with no positive net result.

But this is yesterday's argument. We've already determined that a number of you are set in your ways and insist that a lie can be retroactive. *shrug*
    Interesting how every example is a "plan", and you tell me that you "planned". Not you WILL do all of these things. Again, if Thor had said "we plan on bringing", not "ALL DEVICES WILL BE UPGRADED". Therein is the difference. His statement was UNEQUIVOCAL.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand. If it was not UNEQUIVOCAL, then it would not be a lie.
    07-19-13 10:36 AM
    I'd gladly tell that Thorsten guy he's a piece of garbage to his face.
    [email protected]

Have at er

As far as another one of your stupid comments,
    Wow - you really are sweet heart aren't you? Yes - that's it. Alec is a personal arsehole, just like Stalin and Hitler.
    07-19-13 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the email address.

Later on today (evening, Los Angeles time) or tomorrow, I'll try to independently verify that the email address actually corresponds to this Thorsten fellow. If I obtain said verification, I'll send him an email message
    07-19-13 11:38 AM
    I've seen a lot of stupid threads in my day ..... but this one takes the cake
    07-19-13 11:43 AM
    Thanks for the email address.

Later on today (evening, Los Angeles time) or tomorrow, I'll try to independently verify that the email address actually corresponds to this Thorsten fellow. If I obtain said verification, I'll send him an email message
    Good luck. Let us know if you get a response.

Have to wonder how much we're going to see RIM execs on here anyway.

People complain they aren't transparent, so Alec Saunders shows up and answers questions.

People complaint they don't cut to the chase, so Alec Saunders gives a "to the point answer".

Then folks like Kill9 insult him personally, calling him an "SOB" because they don't like Alec doing this.

Here's a hint: If we want RIM to be more open with our community, calling people a "son of a b*&%$" is not a good way to foster it.
    07-19-13 12:14 PM
    Ya tell developers that BB10 app will run on PlayBook and persuade them to create an app, and later make a fool out of them. Do you think developers love Alec? we have already seen how much they love him.

Good luck. Let us know if you get a response.

Have to wonder how much we're going to see RIM execs on here anyway.

People complain they aren't transparent, so Alec Saunders shows up and answers questions.

People complaint they don't cut to the chase, so Alec Saunders gives a "to the point answer".

Then folks like Kill9 insult him personally, calling him an "SOB" because they don't like Alec doing this.

Here's a hint: If we want RIM to be more open with our community, calling people a "son of a b*&%$" is not a good way to foster it.
    07-19-13 12:24 PM
    Ya tell developers that BB10 app will run on PlayBook and persuade them to create an app, and later make a fool out of them.
    Pretty sure the PlayBook market size had little impact on why most developers dreated a BlackBerry 10 app. Look at the volumes. In one full quarter, the Z10 and Q10 shipped more devices than BlackBerry has PlayBooks in the entire time the tablet has been alive. The entire time. And it's likely to keep happening each quarter, as the Q5 rolls out, A10 etc. I'd suggest that - for most developers, the PlayBook market had little interest or perceived opportunity.

Do you think developers love Alec? we have already seen how much they love him.
    I get why people are mad about the PlayBook decision (and agree with it somewhat) but don't think it has any bearing on how developers feel toward Alec Saunders personally.

Meet the man who would make BlackBerry apps cool | Mobile - CNET News
    07-19-13 12:50 PM
    Personally, verbally attacking Alec is not cool @ all, nor is making extreme comparisons either.

Alec is basically just the 'messenger', passing on a 1 worded message, that we obviously do not like @ all...

If any BB execs came on here read the thread, they'll probably be traumatized.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-19-13 03:13 PM
    But then again, they probably would know what to expect beforehand...
    07-19-13 03:19 PM
    Or roll their eyes at all the posts by all of us business legends who are taking a break from running our own multi-billion corporations to tell them how to do their jobs.
    07-19-13 03:22 PM
    That is what is really upsetting. The line handed out was that once again, rather than dribbling out updates to fix or enhance the OS2 system, they would move us to BB10 and so stopped doing anything for the pb. At this time my speculation is that there is no one in house capable of moving OS2 forward or tweaking it. What's ironic is because they are producing a new OS7 device, updates for that OS are still coming out periodically.
    In light of Kevin's Blog, I thought I would bump my reply back up since I just got a thanks for it!
    imz and Ragwan like this.
    07-19-13 03:58 PM
    Look at the volumes. In one full quarter, the Z10 and Q10 shipped more devices than BlackBerry has PlayBooks in the entire time the tablet has been alive.
    Shipped not sold.

BB10 for PlayBook would have doubled BB10 user base on few weeks.

It could have been only extra 50% user base or even 30%.
    Can they afford to lose say approx a million users when BB10 is so small?
    Can they afford a million BlackBerry detractors ?

Thin twice about 'small volume '
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-19-13 04:27 PM
    Or roll their eyes at all the posts by all of us business legends who are taking a break from running our own multi-billion corporations to tell them how to do their jobs.
    Hm, might be true, but here's how I see it, customers feedback.

Now, this might sound stupid to some, but all the frothing and gnashing of teeth could be considered as customers feedback, some pretty extreme, while most are tolerable.

Or is there no such thing as a negative feedback nowadays?
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-19-13 04:55 PM
    Shipped not sold.

BB10 for PlayBook would have doubled BB10 user base on few weeks.

It could have been only extra 50% user base or even 30%.
    Can they afford to lose say approx a million users when BB10 is so small?
    Can they afford a million BlackBerry detractors ?

Thin twice about 'small volume '

PlayBook numbers are "shipped" as well. The other stuff is speculation
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 07-19-13 at 05:36 PM.
    07-19-13 05:22 PM
732 ... 1415161718 ...