I have a fresh new 64 also in SG , if you sold your one please tell me where i will follow you ;-)
    Sure, I will let you know, probably I will try putting it on Gumtree or eBay.
    07-18-13 03:11 AM
    I'd pay for an update to the Playbook if it helped get continued support. Hell what's $20.00. multiply that by 2.5 million and what do you have? $50 million smackers. I think a good reason to make some updates. It would more than pay for a team to work on the project. I would go $30, or $40 so I would have to get another $400.00 tablet that becomes unsupported. Raise that question to Saunders.
    That's it! CB needs to do a Kickstarter to fund the completion of BB10 on the PB, and develop some kind of specialized service center for us to mail in our PBs for a RAM upgrade!
    Last edited by neefer; 07-18-13 at 06:06 AM.
    07-18-13 04:39 AM
    The Kickstarter idea is actually silly enough (meant in a good way!) that I'd support it!
    Not necessarily for BB10 (as I still think that ship has sailed, sunk and now longingly awaits James Cameron), but for any further development.
    neefer likes this.
    07-18-13 04:43 AM
    The Kickstarter idea is actually silly enough (meant in a good way!) that I'd support it!
    I believe the saying is "crazy enough, that it just might work." :-)

Not necessarily for BB10 (as I still think that ship has sailed, sunk and now longingly awaits James Cameron) ....
    LOL! You totally just won the Internet for the week with that! :-)
    07-18-13 04:57 AM
    I believe the saying is "crazy enough, that it just might work." :-)
    Oh no, that's not what I meant exactly. I actually sort of even doubt it would work, but it would be an initiative I'd support wholeheartedly nonetheless...
    neefer likes this.
    07-18-13 05:07 AM
    Oh no, that's not what I meant exactly. I actually sort of even doubt it would work, but it would be an initiative I'd support wholeheartedly nonetheless...
    I actually don't think it would work either. But since a Kickstarter usually has a minimum amount required to trigger funding -- not hitting that number would pretty much put this whole thing to rest, wouldn't it?

But if it actually happened, and was setup by a reputable source (rather than some schmuck looking to bilk PB owners), I'd totally pledge $50 to $100 towards the cause, and hope that I end up pleasantly surprised if it actually does end up getting funded.
    07-18-13 05:23 AM
    Okay, so - as long as we're clear on the unlikelihood of it truly succeeding - we might just as well start drafting a proposal for a Kickstarter campaign. Maybe start a new thread here. Would you do the honor of starting it?
    07-18-13 05:30 AM
    December 2013?
    My signature is my predictions what Thor will say. Soon.
    kevinnugent, m1a1mg and OMGitworks like this.
    07-18-13 05:46 AM
    Okay, so - as long as we're clear on the unlikelihood of it truly succeeding - we might just as well start drafting a proposal for a Kickstarter campaign. Maybe start a new thread here. Would you do the honor of starting it?
    LOL! If it were to actually happen, it should probably be drafted by someone far less snarky than myself. And since I was just being a smart-a$$ anyway, on top of not thinking it would actually work....

You're more than welcome to take the bull by the horns and run with it though!
    Last edited by neefer; 07-18-13 at 06:13 AM.
    07-18-13 05:47 AM
    There is already some opposition to this idea in the action thread and understandably so. But giving them actual cash for improvements will be what they least expect in this situation. So it's a novel idea, a bit silly, but worth exploring a bit IMHO
    I doubt if I am "THE ONE" to initially carry this initiative ATM either, sadly.
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 07-18-13 at 05:54 AM. Reason: misinterpreted previous post
    neefer likes this.
    07-18-13 05:49 AM
    Yes, I've noticed the Win RT tabs are coming down. I actually really like the Surface tabs. I'd been thinking about a larger one anyway (the 7" PB is just too small to read magazines on Zinio).

And, realistically, there are more key apps available. I've been using the 8.1 preview on my home system and I'm definitely getting used to it.
    Man, you are a masochist, aren't you? If riding it out with the PB and all of its problems wasn't bad enough, you now want to switch to the Surface RT? The Pro I can understand, obviously, but the RT just keeps you in the same general boat re: apps, notwithstanding your painfully familiar comment that "there are more key apps available."
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    07-18-13 05:55 AM
    I'd just like to add this little nugget.

It seems that BBRY ARE learning from the PB, it seems outlets are cutting prices of z10's and BBRY's comment is

"In fact, BlackBerry told the Wall Street Journal, “It’s part of life cycle management to tier the pricing for current devices to make room for the next ones.”

So there you have it, there alrady gearing up to firesale the z10 just like the PB

Oh an one other thing, if the A10 phone has a quad core processor and more memory - then I wouldn't give the life of the z10 or q10 very long cos BB10 for the a10 wont work on those lower memory devices
    07-18-13 06:11 AM
    I don't get it. What's wrong with you people? Why are you defending this fraud?

Cause this is a fraud and by a Big (or was Big ) Company with a lot of customers and around the world.
    First of all. They released an unfinished product and charge a decent money for it. And they said they will implement things in the future on it to give users the ultimate experience and it represented their main attraction and forward strategy and direction witch they would take in the future.
    Second. A basic thing like email/ calendar came only after a year witch should have been from the start of the launch implemented .
    Third. They said they will implement a lot of features to this tablet to give its users the best experience and after a time even said that they will implement BB10 on PB shortly after the official launch of BB10. And those statements from everyone that works on that respectful company, including the big Boss, -those statements made me choose to buy Playbook and not an other tablet ( witch by the way they where better and had more features from the start on them and had support and apps and well established 3rd party partnerships) for its future potential and capabilities. So like many I buyed it abroad cause in my country it had exaggerated price and preferred to pay a specialized company for buying products abroad and shipping it here.
    But the OS BB10 was also been delayed more than a year. So no problem we understood and sympathize with RIM at those difficult times and follow the events regularly and recommend to friends who wanted to buy new phones that they should buy BlackBerry phones.
    But forget about this.. We waited... And we waited .. After it came the 1 year update with email/calendar witch I repeat should have been implemented from the launch of PB.
    And then after 2 years from the playbook launch the BB10 approaches and we feel excited and hope that in the close future it will come to our playbooks also.
    So we waited so much time in hope of what they said, with an unfinished product, with very little apps and most of the apps are superficial, with bugs with inconveniences, with little capabilities and waited for the BB10 with all its features that the PB needs. And after that long waiting period they say they realize they can't put BB10 on PB? After 2 years they realized that?

Fine. Shame on you BlackBerry and Thor CEO for saying something and keep us waiting and then not even delivering.. And they came with the excuse that 1Gb RAM isn't enough?I had a computer with 512 RAM and i could run WINDOWS OS and even run Windows Seven on it, and Ipad works with IOS (an OS very polished with lots of features also ) with 512 RAM? But hey what can we do? If they say BB10 doesn't work on PB after 2 years who are we to tell them otherwise... You get away with this two..

And after that you tell us that this unfinished product that we waited to be improved, because we believed you, and we were patient and buyed this product because you said you will improve in in a number of ways ( BB10, apps, BBM, BB bridge,android apps or ported software or whatever, etc.) and waited a long time for this promises or statements or how do you want to call it, now after all this you won't support even the basic Playbook OS with updates and bug fixes and apps?

We payed for this product and should get the full support for this product at least 5 years if not 10 years like it should be. And even more than that, we buyed an unfinished product and believed your statements or your promises that this product will get what it needs in time and we waited patiently and excited about the future of this product.

Now we don't get nothing. Forget about BB10... But not even support and updates and apps for the current Playbook OS witch is an unfinished product from 2 years now?
    That is outrageous!!!!!!

Nice way to treat your customers who believed in you... Thanks BlackBerry. You just lost a client and more than that a fan...

P.S.: I don't care how it's called. Lies, incompetence, false promises etc. The main thing is that all BlackBerry said they will bring a lot of stuff to the Playbook including BB10 and they didn't deliver most of them and now they forget that even PlayBooks exist and that somebody payed money for those unfinished PlayBooks and waited BlackBerry to fulfill their statements about that product. And that's not the first time they didn't keep their promises or statements and that says all about this "Serious " Company.
    07-18-13 06:12 AM
    There is already some opposition to this idea in the action thread and understandably so. But giving them actual cash for improvements will be what they least expect in this situation. So it's a novel idea, a bit silly, but worth exploring a bit IMHO
    I doubt if I am "THE ONE" to initially carry this initiative ATM either, sadly.
    PS & Addendum: Kickstarter is probably out, if I interpret their Guidelines correctly. Some of the highlights:
    Kickstarter cannot be used to raise money for causes, whether it's the Red Cross or a scholarship, or for "fund my life" projects, like tuition or bills.
    and
    Kickstarter cannot be used to fund software projects not run by the developers themselves.
    (Quoted from here)
    Clever wording might help you get around this, but personally I don't speak legalese...
    07-18-13 06:25 AM

A lie is a deliberate attempt to deceive. You know something to be true, but say that it isn't. Now, you can accuse Heins of lying, on the assumption that he continued to commit to the PB update even after the decision been made to cancel it internally. And that's totally possible. Personally, I don't believe it, just because Heins has actually done a pretty good job of being honest and transparent since taking over as CEO.

I think that sometime in April was when the decision was actually made. And I say "April" because one of the BB community managers had been reaffirming the commitment in BB's official support forum until then. After the decision was made, they just shut up about the PlayBook completely until the Q1 Earnings Call.

If you want to get really picky, you might say that BB's claim that their tablet strategy "hadn't changed" through May and June might have been a little disingenuous, but it falls well within the realm of corporate "message management".
    Send your CV to Bill Clinton.

You are hired!
    07-18-13 06:30 AM
    Heins, honest, transparent? I wonder how you came to combine those three words together That fool Heins has been nothing but a yes-man, an incompetent clerk when BBRY needed a Steve Jobs to turn things around in the eyes of partners and consumers.

If Heins really was honest and transparent, he would have kept PB users informed throughout the last two years on the status of updates and the possibility of BB10 for PB. Instead, we get "It's coming soon", "After BB10 phones arrive" and "By the end of the year", followed by complete silence, then a single line in an investor conference call about the PB being dropped.

That's far from transparent. That's also a slap in the face to loyal users who stuck with BBRY through the hard times.
    07-18-13 06:57 AM
    Sure, I will let you know, probably I will try putting it on Gumtree or eBay.
    Just a word to the wise, I only got $135 for my 64GB on eBay 3 months ago -- and that was with the journal and portfolio cases and the rapid charger included. Might just be a matter of bad luck and timing, but be prepared. Whoever mentioned selling their 16GB on Craigslist for $200 doesn't realize how lucky he or she was to find such a sucker to buy it. You can still get the 32GB brand new from Walmart for $159.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-18-13 07:20 AM
    Reading this thread forces me to say that BB will fail and I'm saddened at the thought but today I finally except the reality...They should have had a winner with OS 10 however abandoning the playbook is a bad move especially for the latest playbook which came out only a year ago ....I have had my playbook for 2 years and to be honest it isn't all that wonderful a Samsung phone could do a lot more....I just like my BlackBerry phone and enjoyed how both the phone and tablet would bridge....i was also looking forward to new products from BlackBerry..its time for us to move on and discover other enjoyable products such as apple, windows, android and maybe others.....as they say variety is the spice of life and BlackBerry sure has proven that to be true for a number of consumers...I'm the only blackberry user in my office of 150 people.
    TorchMach1 and duty14 like this.
    07-18-13 07:58 AM
    So I guess you have to drink the koolaid and join in the BB is so ****in amazing circle jerk to come here,... is that it?
    LOL! My thoughts exactly!
    07-18-13 08:40 AM
    I just hope Blackberry bankrupts. There are other really good smartphone companies out there that can easily replace it.
    07-18-13 09:12 AM
    It's a two year old tablet. Two years is a long time in technology terms. If BB10 didn't run well on the PB everyone would be crying about it, talking about lawsuits and so on. If Blackberry wanted to stay in the tablet market they would have released or have one coming out soon.
    I believe the PB was a Jim and Mike idea and they almost lost Blackberry.

My advice. Hold on to your Playbook and sell it to a tech collector 20 years from now. Then look to the future and better hard ware. Blackberry is moving on to better hardware and software. Every device has it's life cycle and the Playbook was a short one but a good one.
    Last edited by Gray; 07-18-13 at 09:45 AM.
    07-18-13 09:21 AM
    Why are you so angry @bla1ze? Calm down before you pop an artery.
    You do not remember correctly. Writing about apps and games as they become available is not pushing the PlayBook on anyone. I can tell you for a fact, Bla1ze was always super critical of the PlayBook, and in fact it was something we discussed several times since it was released.
    For sure being critical of the PlayBook doesnt imply Bla1ze can belittle anyone. But, I dont see how Bla1ze has done that even once. He is presenting the correct picture for you. There is nothing you can achieve whining about the PlayBook issue. Its over an done and the disappointed users (me included) are too little to create any impact.
    Why waste your time whining. Make do with what you have and can do. BlackBerry has clearly indicated they will concentrate on the newer devices which are fabulous. As Bla1ze said if the PlayBook issue makes you not trust and buy another BlackBerry, so be it. If that is what satisfies you then go for it.
    It is best to move on as harping about it is going to bring you no gain.

The PlayBook is dead and very FEW loved it. Nothing can bring it back to life. Just move on.
    neefer and kevinnugent like this.
    07-18-13 09:32 AM
    It's a two year old tablet. Two years is a long time in technology terms. If BB10 didn't run well on the PB everyone would be crying about it, talking about lawsuits and so on. If Blackberry wanted to stay in the tablet market they would have released or have one coming out soon.
    I believe the PB was a Jim and Mike idea and they almost lost Blackberry.

My advice. Hold on to your Playbook and sell it to a tech collector 20 year from now. Then look to the future and better hard ware. Blackberry is moving on to better hardware and software. Every device has it's life cycle and the Playbook was a short one but a good one.
    My wife's 3 year old iPhone 4 will receive the iOS 7 update. Will she be able to enjoy all the new OS features? Of course not. Will she be able to enjoy some new features? Yes.

The iPad 2 is two years old, and it will also receive the iOS 7 update.

I soundly reject the "it's a two year old tablet" excuse, and would gladly welcome even minor updates to the browser, email/contacts/calendar apps, even the Facebook app.
    07-18-13 09:37 AM
    I agree with receiving minor updates, especially Facebook which broke months ago. I feel that Blackberry has to focus on it's core products right now.

I don't own an iPad but do you think it will run iOS7 as well as it's current OS? Just curious.
    07-18-13 09:56 AM
    If BlackBerry decided not to push BB10 because of silly RAM limitation that they should know from the very beginning (or atleast before releasing Z10 publicly), that's already hard to accept but have no choice but to believe on their reasons... but discontinue to support, fix and improve current PlayBook's OS is something out of professionalism...
    duty14, Ragwan and anon(4044683) like this.
    07-18-13 10:24 AM
732 ... 1112131415 ...