Actually, I was just making a general statement. I've seen many posts like this lately, yet the people who are 'done' and 'will never buy another product' keep coming back

Apparently annoying you, chuckles.
    So I guess you have to drink the koolaid and join in the BB is so ****in amazing circle jerk to come here,... is that it?
    FF22, Robert Roger and kevinnugent like this.
    07-16-13 05:43 PM
    Why would PlayBook devs care? Most of them got free hardware for their efforts and on top of that, should they continue to support the platform, transitioning their app to BlackBerry 10 is a fairly easily process.
    Seems some folks tend forget that one of the PlayBooks biggest problems was the lack of great apps.
    That is kind of the salt in the wound, though. BB10 would have solved that, to some extent, as developers wouldn't have to create for two different platforms, just different screen resolutions.

I'm not saying that's no small feat--but if it's easy enough to port apps to BB10 from PlayBook, it should be easy enough the other way as well, assuming they're not memory hogs. It may or may not be easy enough, with the current tools available. Judging from the number of apps available for BB10 vs PlayBook, I'd guess that it is not. Again, BB10-in-some-form-on-PlayBook was the hoped for solution for this disparity. I can imagine, but can't confirm, developers deliberately held off from developing for PlayBook, thinking it would become part of the BB10 family. I wonder where they got that idea?
    07-16-13 05:52 PM
    Bestest, most fantastic, and awesomest $248 I have ever spent on a piece of electronica. I bought it as a music player; a task at which the device is still AWESOME. PB also does HUNDREDS of other useful things. I think it will run for at least 2 more years as a media player, etc. It owes me nothing; total cost about 1/20 of a cent per minute and continuing to drop! I just tossed a ~16 year OLD 256KB Pentium one 400Hz desktop cuz it decided to fail! D@mn thing! It still played .mp3s flawlessly until 2 weeks ago. Technology marches on!!
    07-16-13 06:00 PM
    So I guess you have to drink the koolaid and join in the BB is so ****in amazing circle jerk to come here,... is that it?
    Nope. Not that either.

I just find it odd when people have complete utter hatred of a company and no interest in using any current or future products that they waste their time here. If BlackBerry pissed me off as much as it has some people here, I'd just drop their product and go to the forum of my next device.
    07-16-13 06:07 PM
    Send me a refund of >$2000 I spent with BB this year and I'm gone as soon as the cheque clears

Ebaying means 60-70% loss after just 6 months
    07-16-13 06:13 PM
    Nope. Not that either.

I just find it odd when people have complete utter hatred of a company and no interest in using any current or future products that they waste their time here. If BlackBerry pissed me off as much as it has some people here, I'd just drop their product and go to the forum of my next device.
    Well I get that but that would make more sense if they were posting in the phone threads when like me they won't buy another BB product, but when you're stuck with the missing support for a product you already own, it makes sense to post what ever you feel about your playbook and the manufacturer in the playbook forum.

Would just seem stupid to ***** about your playbook in a fruit or droid forum.
    07-16-13 06:14 PM
    Well I get that but that would make more sense if they were posting in the phone threads when like me they won't buy another BB product, but when you're stuck with the missing support for a product you already own, it makes sense to post what ever you feel about your playbook and the manufacturer in the playbook forum.

Would just seem stupid to ***** about your playbook in a fruit or droid forum.
    We agree there. I am just bemused by the people who swear they are done, are getting rid of their device, never trusting BlackBerry again, hoping BlackBerry goes under ....

but then keep coming back to a Blackberry forum to post ...
    Cynycl and homer1475 like this.
    07-16-13 06:25 PM
    I completely understand BBRY not wanting to bring BB10 to the playbook. But what pisses me off is that from the twitter conversation Victor had with asaunders, BBRY seems to not give a damn about the existing playbook os anymore. Imagine how PB devs should be feeling.
    What is wrong with you all? Didn't you whiners read Thorsten's comments about why BB10 is not coming to PB? BB10 requires 2GB RAM to function properly, and every PB has only 1GB. So, in order to not have crappy result that nobody would accept, BB chose not to try to force BB10 into the PB. Deal with it.
    07-16-13 06:38 PM
    Hey at the end of the day they made their decision ... i've made mine and bought an android tablet ... actually it runs circles around the Playbook. I used to really push for Blackberry .. but the management (both old and new) have missed too many opportunities and are making too many mistakes. (ie. US launch of BB10 ... as one shareholder put it ... a disaster). Guess that explains the rapid exit of their US sales manager.. waiting to see who will be next on the chop block.
    07-16-13 06:49 PM
    What is wrong with you all? Didn't you whiners read Thorsten's comments about why BB10 is not coming to PB? BB10 requires 2GB RAM to function properly, and every PB has only 1GB. So, in order to not have crappy result that nobody would accept, BB chose not to try to force BB10 into the PB. Deal with it.
    Marty, with respect, if you had skimmed the forums in the past few days you would know exactly why people are upset (besides the fact that the CEO came out and gave his word that BB10 would be coming to Playbook):

1) No one is asking for BB10 anymore. We just want basic updates to the Browser, Adobe Air, Android and Flash runtimes, USB-To-Go (which is already built in, they just need to turn it on), and a few other small updates. The Playbook's 1GB of RAM is perfectly capable of handling these updates. They were planned for 18 months now, ever since the 2.1 update. However, Blackberry has indicated that they just don't want to update the Playbook anymore. This is salt in the wound of the broken BB10 promise.

2) There are many indications that PB can actually handle BB10 just fine. For example, a number of people have sideloaded BB10 to Playbook and achieved acceptable levels of performance. There is no reason why Blackberry can't leak the last build of BB10 for Playbook and let US decide if we want it or not.

3) Many knowledgeable people have commented that the issue is not the 1GB or 2GB or RAM, but the memory-hogging nature of BB10, and the fact that Blackberry has not implemented effective memory management into the OS. This means that as apps become more memory-hungry, even your Z10 and Q10 (and soon the A10) will have trouble keeping up. Optimising BB10 for Playbook NOW would have solved the problem once and for all. It would also have allowed BB to put out cheaper 1GB RAM devices to compete with bargain Android models.

Again, go read through some of the forum threads before spouting off. And taking the CEO's word as the holy grail... well, a few of us were burned doing just that.
    07-16-13 06:51 PM
    I don't know if any of you noticed, but when an app is released on BB10 that will also work on the PB, it gets released there, too. In fact, depending on the dev, if you buy the BB10 version you may get the PB version for free.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not happy to see this. I'd been hoping for better. But I can't waste time complaining about it, either. You can go on for years about what they "should" do, but whether it's evil, a bad call, or just plain "business", the call has been made. Time to move on.

If this was enough to sour you on the platform, I sympathize and understand. Personally, I still elect to support the platform, but I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
    07-16-13 06:52 PM
    Remember what Thor said, One of the hardest decisions he had to make...
    Sure, He can't sleep because of that.
    duty14 likes this.
    07-16-13 06:55 PM
    Wow, "whiners", really?!? Granted, we may be pretty vocal, some more than others, and there's a lot of similar threads saying the same, the way I see it, we love the playbook, and had high hopes for continued supports. So throwing the words whiners is pretty lame...

Hell, for some (like myself) this would have been an opportunity to get some of us legacy users to the 10 series phones with the constant reboots (which have been fixed) that so many people are crowing about now, but you don't hear people say " Quit whining and get over it will you?"

But whatever.

I myself find it hard to believe BB couldn't even fix some of the minor problems, or incorporate some of the features from OS10, I'm not asking for the whole "OS10 experience". I do believe that even minor bug fixes and modules updates would have been fine for the lot of us...
    FF22, cckgz4, duty14 and 3 others like this.
    07-16-13 07:05 PM
    You guys really need to calm down. I was just as pissed not because my PlayBook sucks and needs an update but I wanted them to keep their word. I felt burnt. The difference with the phones and the only tablet that ever came out is that there been making phones for years. The playbook was the like the BlackBerry Style. One and done. I would love to see so me playbook love but really I'd rather them put their eggs including one basket because they are then only hope I can stay happy with my phone. Look at web os and their faithful who still stand firm but no phone in sight forma their platform. I rather them avoid that then worry about my tablet that still works. When they finally stand strong then maybe they can work on some tweaks to make it presentable or at least allow the bridge to work again.

Posted via CB10
    cnote221 likes this.
    07-16-13 07:06 PM
    Looks like those assholes in Waterloo are really sticking it to us all again.
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-16-13 07:23 PM
    What pisses me off more than the major update not coming is that they won't fix what they took away - full bridge functionality!!!
    cnote221, kb5zht, FF22 and 2 others like this.
    07-16-13 07:29 PM
    To be honest, now I'm just looking forward to many new good phones from BlackBerry, and possibly we could see a brand new operating system for tablets? I would be more interested to see that at this point, with the hardware of the Playbook not being up to snuff. And one more thing, isn't the A10 sort of the progression Blackberry wants to move forward on on the tablet side?

Posted via CB10
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-16-13 07:40 PM
    To be honest, now I'm just looking forward to many new good phones from BlackBerry, and possibly we could see a brand new operating system for tablets? I would be more interested to see that at this point, with the hardware of the Playbook not being up to snuff. And one more thing, isn't the A10 sort of the progression Blackberry wants to move forward on on the tablet side?

Posted via CB10
    Yea seems to me that the A series will be there phablets.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-16-13 07:45 PM
    Paired with my 9700 I felt like I could take over the world. So much functionality lost now having my Q10. But still an awesome stand alone device. smh I just got one of the mini keyboards a month ago and now a great laptop replacement for my needs
    The only update I'd like to see for my Playbook is Bridge like it did with my 9800. If I can't have BB10 I'd at the very least like Bridge. Right now all we can use is remote control and there's limited usages for that.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    07-16-13 07:58 PM
    If I remember correctly, you were one of the biggest PlayBook pushers at one time. How many purchased a playbook based on your advocacy?
    You do not remember correctly. Writing about apps and games as they become available is not pushing the PlayBook on anyone. I can tell you for a fact, Bla1ze was always super critical of the PlayBook, and in fact it was something we discussed several times since it was released.
    07-16-13 08:32 PM
    So what we've really learned is that BlackBerry just doesn't want to update the PlayBook at all. They just want to abandon it, and hope that suckers who are left with a never finished device will come back for more.

You defenders can keep protecting your website (CB staff), your jobs (the loudest apologists), your shares, or whatever, but I can't get behind this company anymore. I have two apps in App World, I defended BB to anyone who would listen, but this move was for me the final straw.
    07-16-13 08:50 PM
    Yea seems to me that the A series will be there phablets.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    phabulous phakes!
    Robert Roger likes this.
    07-16-13 08:53 PM
    but then keep coming back to a Blackberry forum to post ...
    Yeah i know you want to stay , only with the BB blind fanboy , and you expect the unHappy customer of Blackberry go to Samsung forum to complain

I buy a PB , just after i get my Z10 (first BB) because i think the PB with BB10 will be a good device and maybe replace my iPad mini , but i see month after i be ****ed by BLACKBERRY saying no BB10 on PB and now they say no update , are you waiting i dance on roof by happiness , i use the PB not more than 1 hour no app's at all and even for read my eBook i didn't find a good apps , so i will pass this device to somebody.

But for sure before i buy a new BB device i will think twice : you lie ounce you will lie twice
    Last edited by Yann Blanes; 07-18-13 at 12:41 AM.
    FF22 and Robert Roger like this.
    07-16-13 09:03 PM
    HTC did a similar spurn of HTC One S users. For months promising UI Sense 5 update and Jelly Bean 4.2 update, then reneging on it. This caused a huge backlash amongst European users. It's very popular in UK, Germany, and France. So it's not only BlackBerry. We cannot rely on promises from tech companies about future support. Simply buy the device for what it can do now.

HTC pulls the plug on promised Android 4.2 update for a year-old phone | TechNewzie

HTC One S owners petition for Android update

Latest I've read, HTC is rethinking its decision. Blown goodwill can cost brand's tens of millions of dollars in today's social media world. DON"T SPURN LOYAL CUSTOMERS. BlackBerry management seems to forget this axiom.

FF22 and Robert Roger like this.
    07-16-13 09:04 PM
    I can see both sides to this. Looking back, this happened because the iPad very suddenly became a much bigger business than almost any analyst had expected. Even the most optimistic projections for iPad sales were made to look foolish when Apple started selling them by the millions.

IMO, RIM made a mistake by trying to jump on that bandwagon with what was essentially a "we can do that, too!" product. They learned there was no huge tablet market, it was really just a huge iPad market. Unfortunately that lesson cost them a lot of time, energy, and ultimately a fair amount of good will.

So, from that perspective, I think it's good to see them finally cut their losses, close the door on the tablet business and restore their focus on the phone business. I think that's a good sign actually. They must maintain absolute laser focus with all that they have stacked against them now.

Unfortunately, though, the timing and the way the announcement was handled was really terrible. I brought up BB10 in a meeting today, and somebody quipped that if we started a BB10 project now we might just finish the app before the BB10 fire sale.

Like it or not, one factor pulling down BB10 sales, at least in the US, is that people don't want to buy phones that may be orphaned before the 2-year contract is up. Or they don't want to build apps for a platform that may not be around much longer than WebOS was. That may be unfair to BBRY, but it is the perception among a lot of people. That public perception, however unfair or wrong it may be, isn't helped by orphaning the Playbook right at this moment.

Maybe they should have just pulled the plug on this last year so that it would have been forgotten by now.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-17-13 at 05:13 AM.
    the_sleuth, FF22, Ragwan and 4 others like this.
    07-16-13 09:06 PM
732 12345 ...