Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster.

Okay, so I recently got a Playbook to mess about.

So disappointed. I download large video files(upto 2GB) onto my 9800 using BIS. There's no way for me to transfer these files directly to my Playbook, which frankly, I find ridiculous.

I don't have wi-fi so I can't use wi-fi sharing. I use my 9800's bridge app to browse.

What makes it worse, is that the Playbook doesn't even have a microSD slot, so I can't even swop my microSD between the two devices.

It won't transfer my large videos. It won't take my microSD. It doesn't have a USB slot to recognize my phone as a mass storage device. There's no way for me to get these videos across except via a laptop or PC. Should have gotten a netbook, or an Ipad.

Bad oversight by RIM.

Disappointed. Poor show RIM.
    Moeketsi Mtshali likes this.
    08-08-12 12:02 AM
    I totally regret my purchase as well of the playbook! Bought in January's and have come together to loath it. Sucks browsing the Web, slow browser and half the time it crashes. Can't sign into capital one since two updates ago, typing is painful due to lag 90% of the time.

Am hoping but not holding my breath that BB10 will fix things, but I doubt it.
    08-08-12 01:07 AM
    *cough* trolls
    08-08-12 01:09 AM
    Everything else is fine for me, but this issue, just so frustrating.
    08-08-12 01:12 AM
    How about using Files & Folders v4 app? It can connect PlayBook and BlackBerry phone and allows for file transfer between the two. However, last time I tried a 150mb files, it would not completely transfer the file.

I think the error happens on my devices because the PlayBook password locks the device in the background but Files and Folder continues to show file transfer.

Another work around would be to initially save the file directly on the smartphone in the 'save file to' box when selecting a download.

OP it's not that big a deal since your feature request is quite advanced considering you are expecting 2 mobile devices to be connected to each other via USB cable.

Although I agree that Bluetooth file sharing between BlackBerry devices should have been provided at device launch.
    08-08-12 01:28 AM
    How about using Files & Folders v4 app? It can connect PlayBook and BlackBerry phone and allows for file transfer between the two. However, last time I tried a 150mb files, it would not completely transfer the file.

I think the error happens on my devices because the PlayBook password locks the device in the background but Files and Folder continues to show file transfer.

Another work around would be to initially save the file directly on the smartphone in the 'save file to' box when selecting a download.

OP it's not that big a deal since your feature request is quite advanced considering you are expecting 2 mobile devices to be connected to each other via USB cable.

Although I agree that Bluetooth file sharing between BlackBerry devices should have been provided at device launch.
    Thanks for your response, but I don't want to transfer from tablet to smartphone. I want to transfer large video files, like 2GB 3GP or MP4 files, from smartphone to tablet without needing to lug around my laptop everywhere...Is this possible?

I have another question. Is it possible for me to download a large file directly onto the Playbook using my BIS plan?
    Last edited by Ishaq786; 08-08-12 at 02:15 AM.
    08-08-12 02:08 AM
    If you bridge the PB with your (BIS)phone, and you dld it through the browser, it should work...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-08-12 02:21 AM
    *cough* trolls
    what an insulting comment to make, this site is getting so bad for that.

The two comments above you that started this thread both have genuine limitations and issues mentioned.

J
    08-08-12 04:42 AM
    Thanks for your response, but I don't want to transfer from tablet to smartphone. I want to transfer large video files, like 2GB 3GP or MP4 files, from smartphone to tablet without needing to lug around my laptop everywhere...Is this possible?

I have another question. Is it possible for me to download a large file directly onto the Playbook using my BIS plan?
    You should be able to do it with one of the file browser programs. I have transferred videos shot on the 9900 to the PlayBook Via the file browser program. You need to be bridged to do it.
    08-08-12 05:40 AM
    Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster.

Okay, so I recently got a Playbook to mess about.

So disappointed. I download large video files(upto 2GB) onto my 9800 using BIS. There's no way for me to transfer these files directly to my Playbook, which frankly, I find ridiculous.

I don't have wi-fi so I can't use wi-fi sharing. I use my 9800's bridge app to browse.

What makes it worse, is that the Playbook doesn't even have a microSD slot, so I can't even swop my microSD between the two devices.

It won't transfer my large videos. It won't take my microSD. It doesn't have a USB slot to recognize my phone as a mass storage device. There's no way for me to get these videos across except via a laptop or PC. Should have gotten a netbook, or an Ipad.

Bad oversight by RIM.

Disappointed. Poor show RIM.
    You could've downloaded it through the Playbook's browser instead of your 9800 and it wouldve worked out. And FYI, getting an iPad wouldve made your "problem" even harder because you cannot download anything on the Safari browser and you would require a computer to transfer the downloaded file to your iPad through iTunes or any type of media file for that matter so I don't see how getting a iPad would solve your "problem". This time download it directly through your Playbook browser and it should work. I just downloaded The Dictator through my Playbook browser and it worked flawlessly.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-08-12 05:45 AM
    I totally regret my purchase as well of the playbook! Bought in January's and have come together to loath it. Sucks browsing the Web, slow browser and half the time it crashes. Can't sign into capital one since two updates ago, typing is painful due to lag 90% of the time.

Am hoping but not holding my breath that BB10 will fix things, but I doubt it.
    Troll alert!!
    08-08-12 05:49 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something but can't you bridge your pb to your bb and cut and paste it from you bb to a directory on your pb? I've done this with lots of files. unless there is a size restriction im not aware of but i doubt it. Ask the Files and Folders guys for help with this. they're usually great at getting back and solving problems.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    08-08-12 05:58 AM
    LOL, this thread is funny! Its so stupid its funny...

Yeah, so you can't file transfer at the moment. For this reason, you decide to make a post about it? To literally bash RIM about their poor oversight and their poor show. I guess bridge alone was not enough for you. Are you aware of the features some other tablets might lack? Do you b*tch about those too or just bb/rim products?

My 2 cents, mr. Long time lurker first time poster.

Anything just to ease in the forums..
    Tim1131 likes this.
    08-08-12 06:15 AM
    LOL, this thread is funny! Its so stupid its funny...

Yeah, so you can't file transfer at the moment. For this reason, you decide to make a post about it? To literally bash RIM about their poor oversight and their poor show. I guess bridge alone was not enough for you. Are you aware of the features some other tablets might lack? Do you b*tch about those too or just bb/rim products?

My 2 cents, mr. Long time lurker first time poster.

Anything just to ease in the forums..
    I own three Blackberry devices. I can't rant about devices I don't own.
    08-08-12 06:25 AM
    You could've downloaded it through the Playbook's browser instead of your 9800 and it wouldve worked out. And FYI, getting an iPad wouldve made your "problem" even harder because you cannot download anything on the Safari browser and you would require a computer to transfer the downloaded file to your iPad through iTunes or any type of media file for that matter so I don't see how getting a iPad would solve your "problem". This time download it directly through your Playbook browser and it should work. I just downloaded The Dictator through my Playbook browser and it worked flawlessly.
    Thanks for your response. Did you download the dictator, using wi-fi or using your phone as a modem via bridge?
    backfire101 likes this.
    08-08-12 06:31 AM
    Try bridging and downloading a file using the PB. You can see how much does it take to dld it

Sometimes you just got to try it by yourself

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-08-12 06:34 AM
    'crappy post' so perfect for newbie question ;D
    Transfer speed between PC and brand new PB is really just max ~3Mb ? Only what I have discovered it's because system based on network samba sharing way, so there is no way out how to increase it? thanks
    08-08-12 11:14 AM
    I guess all tablets will not meet your needs in this case... should just get a netbook and download your video directly and accept the fact that you need a computer to more easily complete the tasks you want..... Own an Ipad.... with no WIFI there is actully no way to get a video to the Ipad without a computer.... At least wiht the Playbook there is a way...... Guess you will be disappointed wiht IPad as well.....Never understand users who want to do things the devices were never designed for.... always blame the device.... how about doing a bit of research before purchasing devices to see if they meet your needs..... Life becomes much easier then.....
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-08-12 11:42 AM

Yes use the bridge browser and download it. Problems solved. Check your download folder.
    Or go to chapters and use wifi or buy some internet like the rest of us. I live out in the country and can get at least crapy wireless high speed i am sure you can get internet at home unless you live in a remote area.. well scratch that if you got 3g then you can get internet.
    08-08-12 12:29 PM
    Out of curiosity, to the OP, why don't you have Wifi at home?
    08-08-12 12:58 PM
    Thanks for your response. Did you download the dictator, using wi-fi or using your phone as a modem via bridge?
    Well I was using wifi since its a lot faster but if I wasnt near a wifi connection, I'd use mobile hotspot. And also I don't own a bb so I couldn't bridge but even if I did I'd still use mobile hotspot since its a lot faster.
    08-08-12 01:00 PM
    Out of curiosity, to the OP, why don't you have Wifi at home?
    I live in a little town of South Africa. Our infrastructure is extremely limited, and as a result our data costs are sky high and our speeds are quite low. If I have to tell you some of our packages, you won't believe it. Our latest "special" offering for adsl is approx $130 per month for uncapped on a 4MBps line. This package is not even available in my region. Even on a package like this, they still have a "fair usage policy" in which they throttle the speeds after you use like 10GB for the month. The prices are coming down, but really slowly.

BIS is the best, most affordable plan for me. It's also the only reason I bought the Playbook.
    Last edited by Ishaq786; 08-08-12 at 06:02 PM.
    08-08-12 06:00 PM
    To the OP, Download Files and Folders from the appworld, you should be able to browse the video on your phone and copy and paste to your playbook.

Ps. Make sure you bridged the devices befores doing that.
    08-08-12 10:14 PM
    OP, what exactly is your concern here?

You have 2 options already existing on the PlayBook.

1.) Download file directly on PlayBook, if Bridged @ 1.5 mbps max speed through 3G.
    - In 'Save to' dialog box, you can select the Bridged BB phone as save location.

2.) Download file directly on PlayBook, share from PlayBook to BB Phone via Files & Folders. Paid application, no alternate free app available.

I believe there is a Free and a Paid solution to your problem.

Let's close this thread because the disappointment is, like in most cases, because the user does not know how to go about.
    08-09-12 12:30 AM
    Thank you Varunsain. Lock it up.
    08-09-12 03:25 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD