There are a few solutions and some are mentioned in other threads. So try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged. Hope this helps, I had to explain to you guy what the cause was and how it is overcome..... so let me know
    06-28-12 12:25 PM
    The third solution definitely works. It does require patience, and you are terrified that it won't, but it does eventually. I lost count of how many times I had to keep repluging the lead into the PlayBook, but then I saw that beautiful green led start to glow
    06-28-12 04:44 PM
    The post was helpful in givin insight about the issue, but my PlayBook is DEAD flat, as in not coming on at all, no.... light nothing, please what can I do
    07-27-12 03:18 PM
    imax

Contact rim, send it in for repair
    07-27-12 04:06 PM
    If you have been really patient and done the stack charge routine over and over for like 20 or more times or NO red light ever shows....

First, make sure that it is really off. Go into a dark closet and press the power button. Any residual light?

Plug it in and leave it for 24 hours or more - some have had strange results where the darn things actually do power on again.

Even if warranty has expired call rim

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    07-27-12 04:07 PM
    Jayswap

Nice post. It will hopefully help many plp.
    07-27-12 04:07 PM
    The post was helpful in givin insight about the issue, but my PlayBook is DEAD flat, as in not coming on at all, no.... light nothing, please what can I do
    have you tried looking at the micro usb port on the playbook as the port has a tendency to move and the small plastic contact moves to the top so that the charger will only fit in upside down you have to get a smallthin piece of non metalic (plastic)or even a small screwdriver with insulating tape put at the endthen use this to move the plastic contactof the micro usb on the playbook to the bottom and the charger will then go in the port the right way which is the flat part of the mico usb on the plug part should be on the bottom when going into the playbook hope this helps
    mrloop likes this.
    07-30-12 11:01 AM
    have you tried looking at the micro usb port on the playbook as the port has a tendency to move and the small plastic contact moves to the top so that the charger will only fit in upside down you have to get a smallthin piece of non metalic (plastic)or even a small screwdriver with insulating tape put at the endthen use this to move the plastic contactof the micro usb on the playbook to the bottom and the charger will then go in the port the right way which is the flat part of the mico usb on the plug part should be on the bottom when going into the playbook hope this helps
    Well done! That solved my charging problem
    09-06-12 03:58 PM
    I had trouble charging the Playbook, tried a thousand things with dead battery --- just get the rapid charging device, it will save you lots of grief and it works amazingly.
    09-14-12 10:29 AM
    For me it was no lights at all. Just dead. Nothing worked, no button combinations, stack charging, I even have the rapid charger. Then I read somewhere here to hold the power button down for 15 seconds, let go for 5, then just press the power button again and magic! It turned on. Hope this helps. It saved me.
    09-14-12 04:50 PM
    There are a few solutions and some are mentioned in other threads. So try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged. Hope this helps, I had to explain to you guy what the cause was and how it is overcome..... so let me know
    Hello. Please help. I tried solution #3, after the solid red light came the blinking green light. It stayed that way, eventually the lightning bold shown on screen.

The desktop is now displayed, but there is no light indicator. Still shown is the icon of the battery, with a white lightning bolt. It seems that the battery is really not charging. The playbook is ON and working, i guess because it is plugged in the wall socket.

We bought the unit from Best Buy USA; i do not know if there is a Blackberry playbook service center here in the Philippines. What can I do? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Neddy
    09-17-12 09:31 PM
    Hello. Please help. I tried solution #3, after the solid red light came the blinking green light. It stayed that way, eventually the lightning bold shown on screen.

The desktop is now displayed, but there is no light indicator. Still shown is the icon of the battery, with a white lightning bolt. It seems that the battery is really not charging. The playbook is ON and working, i guess because it is plugged in the wall socket.

We bought the unit from Best Buy USA; i do not know if there is a Blackberry playbook service center here in the Philippines. What can I do? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Neddy
    There is a one year warranty but I'm not sure how you get it - you have to call.

But give all of the following methods another shot:

Okay, try any and all of the various methods, including just holding the power button in for 30-40 seconds. Also go into a dark closet and make sure the screen is really black/off and not a lit up gray.

I was told about "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

Plug the PB in with the factory charging cable (red light comes on for a several seconds, then goes off). Wait about 10 more seconds. Unplug PB for about 30 seconds.

Repeat n times.

n == 6 for me. Finally my PB light switched to green, then began to oscillate, signalling charging. After a few more minutes my PB came back to life.

[HL]You might want to UNplug/Replug at the wall/socket end to avoid using or DAMAGING THE WEAKER USB PORT ON THE PB ITSELF>{?HL]

Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.
    Along the same lines as just above, someone posted:

FOUND A QUICK FIX HOPE IT HELPS

WOW, i tried EVERY SINGLE Step out there and the one step that worked ... was HOLDING down the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear.. the it will charge with just a flashing green..... lol wasted 4 hrs for nothing hope this works for everyone else

Some have now found a shorter sequence works:

Oh man I fixed it. I stack charged it! But not for 2 minutes.

Every time my PB red signal goes off I removed the connection from the wall charger and placed it back within a second. I repeated it for almost 25-30 times and all in the sudden a big charger button showed up on the screen and a green light on the charging LED. I left th e power connection for 2 more hrs and started using it.
    And another posting that might help....

There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out".

------------

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

Playbook French Support
    09-17-12 09:59 PM
    There is a one year warranty but I'm not sure how you get it - you have to call.

But give all of the following methods another shot:

Okay, try any and all of the various methods, including just holding the power button in for 30-40 seconds. Also go into a dark closet and make sure the screen is really black/off and not a lit up gray.

I was told about "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

Plug the PB in with the factory charging cable (red light comes on for a several seconds, then goes off). Wait about 10 more seconds. Unplug PB for about 30 seconds.

Repeat n times.

n == 6 for me. Finally my PB light switched to green, then began to oscillate, signalling charging. After a few more minutes my PB came back to life.

[HL]You might want to UNplug/Replug at the wall/socket end to avoid using or DAMAGING THE WEAKER USB PORT ON THE PB ITSELF>{?HL]

Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.
    Along the same lines as just above, someone posted:

FOUND A QUICK FIX HOPE IT HELPS

WOW, i tried EVERY SINGLE Step out there and the one step that worked ... was HOLDING down the power key for 20 seconds, after 20 Seconds do not let go of the power button and plug in the wall charger, and then let go... should get a steady red light for about 10 seconds, then the battery icon with lightning bolt should appear.. the it will charge with just a flashing green..... lol wasted 4 hrs for nothing hope this works for everyone else

Some have now found a shorter sequence works:

Oh man I fixed it. I stack charged it! But not for 2 minutes.

Every time my PB red signal goes off I removed the connection from the wall charger and placed it back within a second. I repeated it for almost 25-30 times and all in the sudden a big charger button showed up on the screen and a green light on the charging LED. I left th e power connection for 2 more hrs and started using it.
    And another posting that might help....

There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out".

------------

Rim Support
    Tel:

Playbook French Support

Wow! Thank you for the so many ideas. These will keep me occupied this morning I'll give it a try and see which one works. I will let you know. Thanks again.
    09-18-12 07:42 PM
    Wow! Thank you for the so many ideas. These will keep me occupied this morning I'll give it a try and see which one works. I will let you know. Thanks again.
    I hope one of them works out. I grab them as new ideas are posted. I fear that I've not given the originators sufficient credit but if any work, their karma should be good.
    09-18-12 08:27 PM
    Did RIM fix this problem in later versions of the playbook? I ask this because my playbook has never completely drained where I had to do any of these methods and I've left it idle for days (at 0%) and when I plug it in it turns on fine. I bought my playbook used so I'm not sure whether or not mine is a new or old one.
    09-19-12 12:25 AM
    I have this "dead" problem but I don't get the red LED at all. I have tried these stack charge methods listed, using both a normal charger and the rapid charger, all to no avail.

Any other suggestions to at least get the red LED lit up so I can then follow the process described above?
    09-19-12 07:55 AM
    Did RIM fix this problem in later versions of the playbook? I ask this because my playbook has never completely drained where I had to do any of these methods and I've left it idle for days (at 0%) and when I plug it in it turns on fine. I bought my playbook used so I'm not sure whether or not mine is a new or old one.
    I don't believe that they have changed anything BUT ... some folks have definitely had that problem so I would not push it too often and rather recharge whenever you have the chance.
    09-19-12 08:45 AM
    I have this "dead" problem but I don't get the red LED at all. I have tried these stack charge methods listed, using both a normal charger and the rapid charger, all to no avail.

Any other suggestions to at least get the red LED lit up so I can then follow the process described above?
    I replied to your other post in the other similar thread.
    billybobsa likes this.
    09-19-12 08:46 AM
    I hope one of them works out. I grab them as new ideas are posted. I fear that I've not given the originators sufficient credit but if any work, their karma should be good.
    None of them worked! And the sad part is, I do not have the proof of purchase with me. Worse, there is no blackberry playbook service center here in the Philippines.
    09-21-12 12:48 AM

Neddy
    Try this cause it worked for me fixing my friend's playbook. He didn't use his playbook for a very long time but had it continually plugged in. When he eventually tried to use it .. it wouldn't charge once the playbook was turned off (normally you'd see the continual flashing green light until it's fully charge).

His problem was ... as soon as he plugged in his stock charger, he got the red light and one or two green lights, then the red empty battery charging symbol and his playbook automatically booted

Then when the desktop appeared his battery icon cycled every 30 seconds to red battery icon 0% charging (lightning bolt), to green battery icon full (lightning icon), to green battery icon with plug symbol shown inside the icon.

His major problem was that he needed the charger plugged in in order to keep his playbook on. As soon as you pulled the plug it shut off.

This is my take on the issue with the playbook and its battery:

The playbook controls the charging using software. The calibration for that software can get screwed up. In my buddy's case, since he left it plugged in for months and never let it drain, the playbook software thought the always charged state was both empty and fully charged for its range for charging.. I believe that's why the battery states kept cycling from full empty to fully charged. I believe this is similar problem when the battery is over depleted. The charging control software becomes confused and the charging process becomes very inefficient. Due to this charging inefficiency it will take a much longer time to properly charge. But I believe there is another problem as well. Even if you get the minimum charge to boot the playbook (if your battery is fully depleted), the charging software calibration is still screwed up. To fix this you have to, for a few times after the pb has reboot, do a hard reset. This can be done 2 ways depending on the operating system: (1) 3-button hold down (power button & +volume & - volume buttons pressed and held down until the pb self boots on its own) or (2) hold down on the power button for at least 20 secs until it completely shuts down.

OK so this is what I did to fix my buddy's pb:

(1) Use on the premium rapid or stock charger that came with your pb!

(2) update the OS to the latest operating system (if you can maintain the pb being on). If not skip this step.

(3) Leave the playbook on and plugged in for at least 24 hours. When I did this, his pb battery icon stopped cycling through the different charging states and actually showed 52% and charging, however when I unplugged it .. it automatically shut off again -> remember what I said about the charging software calibration being screwed up. When the playbook rebooted the battery icon now should 9% and again turn off when I removed the plug... so I wasn't finished yet, but was making progress.

(4) The last thing I did .. and this was to address reseting the charging software calibration.. was to do a series of occasional hard resets.. I alternated between the 3-button and the single power button hold for 20 secs. What I noticed is that after doing this about 5 or 6 times the battery charging started behaving normally, holding a constant percentage and increasing charge. Eventually, I was finally able to remove the plug without the pb shutting down.

(4) It took a couple more hard resets until I was able to charge the pb while it was off (having the consecutive green blinking lights until it became solid). After that I was done -> PB fixed and operating normal again.

(5) I'm not too sure, but upgrading the OS could have helped with the charging software... I upgraded his OS to the latest beta version.

I never had the opportunity to try to bring back to life a pb that's completely depleted and won't turn, but in that case, I would still leave it plugged into the wall for a long time and occasionally try to turn it on - once the pb turns on leave it charging a long time on the charger while it's on. I know other people have had success with the stack charging. But once the unit can be turned on, even if the charger has to stay in to make sure that it stays on.. I would still follow the steps above.

I hope this helps you .. cause I did learn something from this ordeal...
    09-21-12 03:39 AM
    does this method works for bbcurve 9360. because i haven't charged my phone for 6 days because i sent my phone for fixing (the charging thing came out). I received it today and im charging it but no turn on, i get the red signal but no green or yellow. Whilst doing solution 3, the red color was flashing but until now, nothing. I have done the solution 3 for more than 20 times now. Help Me please. this is pissing me off
    10-10-12 03:49 PM
    it boggles me that those still in the warrenty period are tinkering around and wasting time. Its not working as advertised. get it repaired or replaced
    10-10-12 04:16 PM
    does this method works for bbcurve 9360. because i haven't charged my phone for 6 days because i sent my phone for fixing (the charging thing came out). I received it today and im charging it but no turn on, i get the red signal but no green or yellow. Whilst doing solution 3, the red color was flashing but until now, nothing. I have done the solution 3 for more than 20 times now. Help Me please. this is pissing me off
    I suspect that their phones are different. But as I have completely drained the battery in a few bb's over time, I find that they show very little signs of life for a while when first connected to the charger. So plug it in and leave it for an hour or so. Then check. Also, you might check the specific forum for that phone model. Good luck
    10-10-12 05:05 PM
    Don't be afraid to use the support centre and send it in to be fixed in the US. I had to send one of ours in for repair (it wouldnt "wake up" from stand by, some kind of error with the power button) and the bb tech support was awesome. Clear instructions on how to send it in, they are smart enough to have located the repair centre near FedEx's hub terminal so shipping was very fast, and they followed up via phone and email to make sure we were happy.
    10-10-12 09:35 PM
    Thats what I ended up doing
    imax

Contact rim, send it in for repair
    10-10-12 09:43 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD