Prove it isn't. I try not to waste much time with the ill-informed or ignorant anymore-

My Statement was not a comparison to the superpads. It was a statement about app growth on PLAYBOOK over time.
    I've been following PB's progress since its introduction. Sadly, not much have changed even until now, besides OS 2.0 beta release.

App # grew of course, but it seems most apps are those disposable toy apps, as the app shopping experience in App World leave a lot to be desired. I don't consider this app growth. We need quality apps on PB, thus the numerous threads on this forum. If the app selection improved so much to the point that it's irrelevant, why are we discussing it over and over?

Why do you think RIM heavily discounted PB recently?

No one can fix anything until he/she faces the reality. Too many people here rave about PB for what it is today, or what it may become in the future, while majority of people do not agree with that, based on actual market share.

I was actually shocked by YouTube app. I logged into my YouTube account and expected the *usual* - favorites, channels, likes, etc to show up. The only thing I get is "upload" button. Of course, I can use browser to get all those functions.

App selection is important, but quality apps are more important. Even before that, I would like to see RIM improve built-in apps first. I'm very hopeful of what OS 2.0 will bring in this regard.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-21-11 11:32 AM

I also have this thing called a pencil for writing down page numbers if I really really want to remember them.

*yawn*
    unbelievable.

like i said, trying to spin obvious negatives into a silly positive is what is doing RIM/playbook a huge disservice. instead of trying to 'win' at irrational arguments, how about just admitting that basic bookmark functionality which is present on ALL other platforms would be a much needed addition and would be a huge benefit to many playbook owners who want a good pdf reader.

but alright i'll let you win this one.

hey guys, you don't need a viable pdf reader with basic functionality on the playbook. just use a pencil!!!!!!
    Last edited by lynntarbox; 12-21-11 at 11:49 AM.
    conix67, FF22 and Fmar like this.
    12-21-11 11:46 AM
    Using a pencil is a ridiculous idea. I just use a Sharpie marker to write the numbers in the bezel! Your only worry then is when you accidentally bezel-swipe and smear it onto the screen...
    12-21-11 11:58 AM
    I agree with gladiator, go try out the PB at your nearest retailer. The front-facing speakers on the PB are nice for playing videos widescreen. Kindle has its two speakers aimed out the side of the tablet . IMHO a 7" tablet is just the right size to carry around. Unfortunately neither Netflix nor Hulu have streaming apps for the PB, so if you want to stream them the PB is a no-go. As for e-readers there is a Kobo reader preloaded on the PB, and I find the Amazon Cloud Reader works perfectly fine in the PB browser.
    Juan:
    Get the tablet that best fits your needs. To clarify, you can stream movies on amazon video on demand(I have a prime membership and it works great on PB) There is also crackle.com and quite a few others. Yes, the apps ecosystem was really trailing other platforms at first but it's getting better. I'm sure you heard by now that everyone is installing angry birds on their PBs after the word got out today.
    12-21-11 12:25 PM
    I'am undecided on which tablet get. Since I saw the playbook I was fascinated with its design, but I really think I would need something bigger for reading pdfs files and ebooks. My primary desires are to read pdf files, ebook, see some videos and surf the web, But I don't know wich tablet is the best suited for me. What do you think should be my decision? go for the playbook or get an android or ipad instead.?

Thanks for your responses.
    Based on your needs, an iPad would be your best option. It suits every one of your needs.

You need something bigger? 10 inch iPad
    Read pdf files? iPad does that the best of anything on the market right now
    Ebook? iPad again

The Playbook is a good tablet, but it doesn't sound like it is for you. Good luck, and happy holidays.
    12-21-11 12:35 PM
    unbelievable.

like i said, trying to spin obvious negatives into a silly positive is what is doing RIM/playbook a huge disservice. instead of trying to 'win' at irrational arguments, how about just admitting that basic bookmark functionality which is present on ALL other platforms would be a much needed addition and would be a huge benefit to many playbook owners who want a good pdf reader.

hey guys, you don't need a viable pdf reader with basic functionality on the playbook. just use a pencil!!!!!!
    And if you really want full functionality, print the damn pdf and use post it notes. But I'd still be out of luck since I can't search a printed version either. The pdf app is ridiculously weak for an app provided by a rim-partner. That has had to be a continuing gag!
    12-21-11 12:36 PM
    go to a your nearest electronic retail store and test drive the devices first hand. Remember purchase the device for your needs and not what the sales person entices you to buy.

i find myself carrying the PB with me all the time due to its portability. i refuse to buy a man purse or a sachel just so i can carry a tablet around.
    You don't want to carry your fruit in a man purse =P
    12-21-11 04:15 PM
    The market is driven by demand. People on these boards who have bought a PB and find it unusable should sell it and buy an iPad, not continue to complain about it's short comings. That's what I do with products I find inferior. Many people find the PB satisfactory and should continue to use it. It's quite simple really. I don't see why there has to be back and forth fighting on threads.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-21-11 04:59 PM
    unbelievable.

Need and want are two different things - if I ever used bookmarks I would admit I need them. I don't so I won't . The PDF is fine for me - if it's not for others that's fine for me as well. Why don't you admit that people have different needs? I did.

With browsers I find that I bookmark things - then I have to sort through the bookmarks - much easier to just search for it again. I don't bother bookmarking anymore because I find I never refer to them ....

Bookmarks are useless to me. I'm just talking about me.

Search would be nice, but I would rarely use that either. I just read and look in the table of contents. If I need to get serious I get off the couch an head to the desktop. Is that ok with you or should I be pining for things I don't use and proclaiming to the world how much playbook sucks because it doesn't have stuff I don't need want or use?

Live and let live...

Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-21-11 at 05:42 PM.
    12-21-11 05:27 PM
    Based on your needs, an iPad would be your best option. It suits every one of your needs.

You need something bigger? 10 inch iPad
    Read pdf files? iPad does that the best of anything on the market right now
    Ebook? iPad again

The Playbook is a good tablet, but it doesn't sound like it is for you. Good luck, and happy holidays.
    The market is driven by demand. People on these boards who have bought a PB and find it unusable should sell it and buy an iPad, not continue to complain about it's short comings. That's what I do with products I find inferior. Many people find the PB satisfactory and should continue to use it. It's quite simple really. I don't see why there has to be back and forth fighting on threads.

Now this is very sensible - yes please get an ipad. Let others get playbooks and be happy with them without belittlement or harassment. Deal?
    ALToronto likes this.
    12-21-11 05:29 PM
    I've been following PB's progress since its introduction. Sadly, not much have changed even until now, besides OS 2.0 beta release.

App # grew of course, but it seems most apps are those disposable toy apps, as the app shopping experience in App World leave a lot to be desired for my purposes and usage patterns. I don't consider this app growth. We I need quality apps on PB. thus the numerous threads on this forum. If the app selection improved so much to the point that it's irrelevant, why are we am I discussing it over and over?

Why do you think RIM heavily discounted PB recently?

No one can fix anything until he/she faces the reality. Too many people here rave about PB for what it is today, or what it may become in the future, while the majority of people do not agree with that, based on actual market share polls in Crackberry.

I was actually shocked by YouTube app. I logged into my YouTube account and expected the *usual* - favorites, channels, likes, etc to show up. The only thing I get is "upload" button. Of course, I can use browser to get all those functions.

App selection is important, to me but quality apps are more important to me. Even before that, I would like to see RIM improve built-in apps first. I'm very hopeful of what OS 2.0 will bring in this regard.
    I edited it such that you might be speaking for yourself You're welcome.
    Lhendr and rotorwrench like this.
    12-21-11 05:39 PM
    I edited it such that you might be speaking for yourself You're welcome.
    You don't have to edit my post in this childish way, in fact I'm surprised this forum even allows this sort of stupid act.

Keep playing blind and deaf, it will surely bring lots of improvements to PB in the future.
    JK-PhD likes this.
    12-21-11 06:01 PM
    Need and want are two different things - if I ever used bookmarks I would admit I need them. I don't so I won't . The PDF is fine for me - if it's not for others that's fine for me as well. Why don't you admit that people have different needs? I did.

With browsers I find that I bookmark things - then I have to sort through the bookmarks - much easier to just search for it again. I don't bother bookmarking anymore because I find I never refer to them ....

Bookmarks are useless to me. I'm just talking about me.

Search would be nice, but I would rarely use that either. I just read and look in the table of contents. If I need to get serious I get off the couch an head to the desktop. Is that ok with you or should I be pining for things I don't use and proclaiming to the world how much playbook sucks because it doesn't have stuff I don't need want or use?

Live and let live...

By your definition, you DO NOT need a Playbook, nobody does. Need or want?

What you're saying is if PB doesn't support it, it's not needed. Perhaps that's just you, but most others disagree.
    12-21-11 06:05 PM

Bookmarks are useless to me.
    why didnt you say so in the first place? if i had known that i was having an argument with someone who can't handle browser bookmarks and would rather just search for a link again and hope for the best, i would have dropped this whole debate much earlier.
    12-21-11 06:19 PM
    It sounds daft... but a pencil is a great idea!

And for real (about a month ago), I have now ditched my PB for a leather bound paper notepad whilst I leave home. The PB is now just a web browser when I'm sitting on the throne or in the garden.

My BB curve as old and battered as it is... out performs the PB's native functionality as sad as that sounds.

I'm going to wait till Windows 8 hits tablets and see what happens and buy a device capable of my needs.
    12-21-11 06:29 PM
    why didnt you say so in the first place? if i had known that i was having an argument with someone who can't handle browser bookmarks and would rather just search for a link again and hope for the best, i would have dropped this whole debate much earlier.
    May I just interject that we are talking about tablets, here. Tablets. Not the future of human rights after the regime change in North Korea. Not the international AIDS pandemic. Frankly, I would love it if you could use your zeal to encourage the people at RIM to improve the PlayBook, but I hardly think that going to war with posters at a site specifically for BB enthusiasts is going to accomplish anything like that. i, personally, feel offended when you belittle people I like and respect.
    12-21-11 06:42 PM
    I love my playbook. I bought it in April and it, paired with my 9700 then and 9900 now, has become my home and at times work computer. It is brilliant. I love the QNX OS and the bridge capabilities. I love the high def video recording for family events. I love the speakers for my music. I love watching espn events through espn 3 and movies through amazon prime. I honestly think this tablet is everything I wanted and then some...I love the games too. If I did not feel this way I would return it. I am familiar with the desire to be the victim...I just rarely see so many desperate to be the best victim they can be in one place.
    rotorwrench and jafobabe like this.
    12-21-11 07:05 PM
    Keep playing blind and deaf, it will surely bring lots of improvements to PB in the future.
    I don't believe that criticism of the PB on Crackberry is going to influence what RIM does in the future. I know it can be frustrating when we want to believe in a product but feel it comes up short. The ONLY way we can create change is by our wallets. We also have to realize that some people may actually be happy with the same product we are unhappy with and accept that they won't agree with our assessment. The PB will change over time, hopefully for the better. I am willing to wait it out.
    12-21-11 07:06 PM
    I don't believe that criticism of the PB on Crackberry is going to influence what RIM does in the future. I know it can be frustrating when we want to believe in a product but feel it comes up short. The ONLY way we can create change is by our wallets. We also have to realize that some people may actually be happy with the same product we are unhappy with and accept that they won't agree with our assessment. The PB will change over time, hopefully for the better. I am willing to wait it out.
    The Playbook does not involve religion or even politics, so I'm not sure why it arouses such emotion. IMHO, it's useful to gripe about products in online fora for these reasons: it blows off steam and can be entertaining; it informs others and shares information; and, some responsible corporations actually do have people checking to seek what customers think of the product after the sale. If RIM reads Crackberry, it can pick up a few useful comments and ideas here.

As for anyone thinking about buying the Playbook, the obvious advice is still the best advice: If you need a tablet you can fit in a pocket or use unobtrusively, the 7" PB may be for you; but, for many uses a larger screen is better; and, try the PB and make sure it works for you (as it is now) before buying.
    12-21-11 07:21 PM
    It sounds daft... but a pencil is a great idea!

And for real (about a month ago), I have now ditched my PB for a leather bound paper notepad whilst I leave home. The PB is now just a web browser when I'm sitting on the throne or in the garden.

My BB curve as old and battered as it is... out performs the PB's native functionality as sad as that sounds.

I'm going to wait till Windows 8 hits tablets and see what happens and buy a device capable of my needs
    That's the problem. The assumption that because YOU don't like it, or it doesn't serve YOUR purpose, it's a universal truth. It's obviously not, or there wouldn't be so many likes and praises of the PB as it is. And that too is ok. You have your opinion, but accept that others disagree with good reason, for themselves. Yes, the pdf reader would benefit with addition support and functions, and would therefore appeal to more people. BUT many owners are finding it works just fine for THEIR needs, not yours. Case in point; At my company, the PB works great for OUR needs as is. The pdf reader is used regularly here for tech manuals and documents and is considered acceptable as is. And I have a feeling that it WILL be upgraded. Since the announcement yesterday that we now have Citrix, we have ordered two more PBs, which will put seven PBs here that serve US better than competing pads, by far. As with the addition of Citrix, there will continue to be upgrades and additional apps. Your view works for you and others, but not me and others.

And your plan of action is EXACTLY the one that has been recommended time and again, as well as the common sense one; get the device that works for YOU. The PB obviously doesn't, and I agree, get rid of it. Now that you've made your decision, is there reason to continue to complain? I sincerely wish you luck
    AggreX, Lhendr and jafobabe like this.
    12-21-11 07:22 PM
    May I just interject that we are talking about tablets, here. Tablets. Not the future of human rights after the regime change in North Korea. Not the international AIDS pandemic. Frankly, I would love it if you could use your zeal to encourage the people at RIM to improve the PlayBook, but I hardly think that going to war with posters at a site specifically for BB enthusiasts is going to accomplish anything like that. i, personally, feel offended when you belittle people I like and respect.
    Mazel tov to you maideleh.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-21-11 07:29 PM
    As to which tablet to chose, you have to be honest with yourself and think about how you're going to use it 95% of the time.

For me, it came down to screen size. I chose the iPad because of the bigger screen, plain and simple. I use it around the house to browse the internet, read email, maybe watch a quick Netflix movie or TV show if I'm bored. The bigger screen works better for most of the reading stuff I do, especially the internet. I realized that I really wouldn't be carrying a tablet around with me constantly, that's why I have a smartphone to do that with. I only carry it around when I go on trips and then it goes in my backpack.
    12-21-11 07:30 PM
    As to which tablet to chose, you have to be honest with yourself and think about how you're going to use it 95% of the time.

For me, it came down to screen size. I chose the iPad because of the bigger screen, plain and simple. I use it around the house to browse the internet, read email, maybe watch a quick Netflix movie or TV show if I'm bored. The bigger screen works better for most of the reading stuff I do, especially the internet. I realized that I really wouldn't be carrying a tablet around with me constantly, that's why I have a smartphone to do that with. I only carry it around when I go on trips and then it goes in my backpack.
    Perfectly good reasoning. I'm sure you're enjoying your iPad which is what technology is all about.
    12-21-11 07:35 PM
    The Playbook does not involve religion or even politics, so I'm not sure why it arouses such emotion. IMHO, it's useful to gripe about products in online fora for these reasons: it blows off steam and can be entertaining; it informs others and shares information; and, some responsible corporations actually do have people checking to seek what customers think of the product after the sale. If RIM reads Crackberry, it can pick up a few useful comments and ideas here.

As for anyone thinking about buying the Playbook, the obvious advice is still the best advice: If you need a tablet you can fit in a pocket or use unobtrusively, the 7" PB may be for you; but, for many uses a larger screen is better; and, try the PB and make sure it works for you (as it is now) before buying.
    I don't disagree, but the problem is that when an individual comes here for advice in choosing or has stated that they are looking to buy a PB, some individuals will do nothing but bash the PB. I have no problem with honest opinion, especially about what shortcomings it has, as all do. But balance it with the good things. And if you don't think there are any good things, why do you have it? It's obvious that some just want to bash, and we had one of those banned yesterday for it. This isn't the forum for that. There are shortcomings for me as well, but it's such a great device in so many other areas, I love it.
    kbz1960 and jafobabe like this.
    12-21-11 07:36 PM

Thank you, an honest opinion framed by "for me".
    12-21-11 07:47 PM
114 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD