Member for a year (here much, much longer) and Im finally making a forum post... wow.

I come bearing questions I cannot find answers for.

I have a Curve 3G (9330) and a Playbook (wifi). As people with similar phones (most if not all OS6) may know, there is no hotspot option... so, if Im on the train (daily commute) then there is no way to drag data off my phone onto my playbook (and to be honest, I have no need for it.)

HOWEVER, I noticed the other day something interesting, and I was wondering if others have encountered this.

I connect to Bridge so that I can store my phone in my pocket, and answer texts and emails without pulling it out while tapping away on my playbook. I frequently use the side loaded Kindle app, so I was reading...

I noticed that when I connect to bridge and use the kindle app, the kindle app will kick me out to the kindle start/splash page and ask for my email and password as if it was my first time accessing the app... it only does this when I am connected via bluetooth to my phone. And its QUITE annoying... because I have no way to put in my email/password because of lack of wifi... so I am stuck without my books until I get back to my house/office and reconnect.

Then, something VERY interesting followed. Still bridged to my phone, I was playing a game on my playbook (books being unavailable I could reconnect), and noticed that I had an AppWorld notification that a certain playbook game had a new update... Now, this would seem impossible, because the playbook has no data, and therefore could not have checked for updates... My phone had no notification at all, just the playbook.

For kicks and giggles, I tapped the notification bubble and it pulled up the AppWorld, but alas, it told me I had no connection to the internet and did not fully connect to the AppWorld, simply listing the apps already installed in alphabetical order , with no Action Symbols or update notifications (the notification bubble from the top left corner also disappeared.)

It seems as if somehow, somewhere, some data is getting through the bluetooth connection between my Curve and Playbook.... I just dont know how... or why. I figure the AppWorld deal probably had something to do with my BBID on my phone communicating with the playbook, but it does not explain the Kindle App issue.

Thoughts and opinions on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks yall.

~ConRed
    12-31-12 02:48 PM
    I noticed after a couple updates ago that upgrade notifications from appworld are now popping up when bridged. Also you may have noticed that being bridges also allows the native email to work along with a slew of apps. I have not yet found an Android app that can access the bridge data though.
    12-31-12 03:00 PM
    BRIDGE can provide a data connection between the bbphone and the pb even when no wifi is available. You can use the Browser while Bridged and some other apps as well - again, you do NOT need wifi. Just remember if you have a limited data plan, use with care.
    MTL and Nels like this.
    12-31-12 04:19 PM
    Thanks guys!
    I would love it if the Kindle App would pull data from the phone when bridged... that would certainly be a plus.

Curious to see if a native Kindle app will make its way to the Playbook when BB10 hits (probably, considering that there is a OS7 app for certain phones.) Waiting patiently for news concerning the Playbook getting the BB10 upgrade, and what that will mean for Bridging Data and Apps.... seems the rumor mill is more focused on the phones, only time will tell.
    01-02-13 10:36 AM
    I have the same issue with the android Kindle app. When I switch between wi-fi and bridge, Kindle kicks me back to the sign-in screen (and it usually takes two tries to successfully log in). Very annoying. That said, it is an android app and not a PlayBook app, so I could understand it getting "confused"!!
    01-02-13 10:44 AM
    Definitely frustrating Trelaina. I simply dont bridge when Im reading now.
    01-03-13 04:17 PM
    I think you can just create a mobile hotspot...Check this out

Setting up Mobile Hotspot on BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    01-05-13 08:54 PM