I have had a blackberry playbook tucked away in my storage for months. Just fired it up and all I ever do is get a message cannot be activated (132353) which indicates this may be have been stolen. Totally impossible. I will never ever buy another Blackberry product. It is just a totally pain in the rear end trying to make it work again!! I have read the forums and it appears I am not alone with having trouble with Black berry products.
    What a pain the rear end for want of better words. A horrible experience with Blackberry, I think this is heading for the landfill.
    08-31-19 02:57 PM
    I will never ever buy another Blackberry product.
    They aren't making any new ones themselves, and even the deal to license the brand to China doesn't seem long for this world, so even if you wanted to it's an uphill climb.

Still, being declared end of life tends to lead to situations like this, especially with software that takes the walled garden approach like the PlayBook and their other pre-Android hardware does.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-31-19 03:24 PM
    I have had a blackberry playbook tucked away in my storage for months. Just fired it up and all I ever do is get a message cannot be activated (132353) which indicates this may be have been stolen. Totally impossible. I will never ever buy another Blackberry product. It is just a totally pain in the rear end trying to make it work again!! I have read the forums and it appears I am not alone with having trouble with Black berry products.
    What a pain the rear end for want of better words. A horrible experience with Blackberry, I think this is heading for the landfill.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often.
    08-31-19 04:28 PM
    Yes. Welcome to CrackBerry.

So, let me get this straight... you pulled out a device from 2011/2012 (you didn't say which model), which is eons in the tech world. Tried to start it up. A device that hasn't seen an OS update since 2013...

...how many years back are we now... 6?

Granted, BlackBerry has fixed the activation issue several times in the last several months. But you're acting as if this is a brand new device.

It's not.

It's old.

I have an Amazon Kindle Fire tablet from 2011 (made by the same people that made the first Playbook), and it won't work anymore on Amazon's own network because it's too old (well, it will still register, but no more support and most apps just won't run), and Amazon still sells tablets to this day. BlackBerry quit long ago.
    pgg101 and rarsen like this.
    08-31-19 04:48 PM
    All I get now is the software update. I have version 2.1.0.1753 on it. It states your tablet cannot be activated because of error (0) !! I think it's heading to the landfill.
    08-31-19 08:13 PM
    All I get now is the software update. I have version 2.1.0.1753 on it. It states your tablet cannot be activated because of error (0) !! I think it's heading to the landfill.
    @JohnAtBlackBerry! You still around?? Maybe it's too big of an issue to fix? Still digging?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-19 09:29 PM
    PB is EOL. no reason at all to fix anything. They might but certainly dont have to nor should they
    pgg101 likes this.
    08-31-19 09:35 PM
    PB is EOL. no reason at all to fix anything. They might but certainly dont have to nor should they
    So you’re saying there’s a chance ?

;-D
    08-31-19 09:38 PM
    Doesn't hurt to ask.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-19 09:48 PM
    If they don't, it'll be a warning to us BB10 users of what could happen any time post 2019...

Posted via CB10
    08-31-19 09:56 PM
    Per BB's definition of End of Life:

END OF LIFE

The product will no longer be supported by BlackBerry
    There will be no new versions of software
    No software patches, security fixes or workarounds will be generated to resolve any product issues
    BlackBerry Technical Support will no longer accept or troubleshoot issues directly related to the OS or application
    Which is those that stick their head in the sand and insist everything will be forever fine like they're the Iraqi Information Minister are playing with fire. Should something like this, or something like the recent certificate expiry torpedoing BBID infrastructure happen to BB10 post-2019, there's no obligation to fix it.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-01-19 05:45 AM
    We know what eol means. People are just asking if bb John will toss them a bone. Not sure why others get triggered so much by this sort of thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-19 04:47 PM
    We know what eol means. People are just asking if bb John will toss them a bone. Not sure why others get triggered so much by this sort of thing.

Posted via CB10
    I just wonder how come the radio silence from BlackBerry when before there was acknowledgement. It was already EOL before so maybe it’s over now...
    09-01-19 06:12 PM
    Hopefully it's a minor thing that the BlackBerry team can fix with minimal effort. My PB has held up much better than my iPad and other tablets of the same vintage, precisely because it wasn't subject to OS and feature bloat. It's still my my absolute favorite commuting tablet due to the combination of size and audio-video quality.

Sure, I have to own or download DRM-free files to enjoy them, but that's my preference anyway.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-07-19 02:11 PM
    Hopefully it's a minor thing that the BlackBerry team can fix with minimal effort. My PB has held up much better than my iPad and other tablets of the same vintage, precisely because it wasn't subject to OS and feature bloat. It's still my my absolute favorite commuting tablet due to the combination of size and audio-video quality.

Sure, I have to own or download DRM-free files to enjoy them, but that's my preference anyway.

BlackBerry Rep did finally reply in another thread but it didn’t sound as enthusiastic this go around. While the employees may be willing, the employer may not be as encouraging anymore...
    09-07-19 02:14 PM
    BlackBerry Rep did finally reply in another thread but it didn’t sound as enthusiastic this go around. While the employees may be willing, the employer may not be as encouraging anymore...
    I saw that. I assume it's one of those things that either can be fixed by under utilized legacy staff in their spare time or won't get fixed at all.

My hope is that the fix applied to the BBID sign in process for BB10 broke something relatively easy to reconfigure for the PB.

09-07-19 03:47 PM
    I saw that. I assume it's one of those things that either can be fixed by under utilized legacy staff in their spare time or won't get fixed at all.

My hope is that the fix applied to the BBID sign in process for BB10 broke something relatively easy to reconfigure for the PB.

Agreed but with communication delay, I’m wondering if BB concern is gestures turning into expectations.
    09-07-19 04:09 PM
    Agreed but with communication delay, I’m wondering if BB concern is gestures turning into expectations.
    I honestly don't think any sane person would EXPECT BlackBerry to spend money to resolve this issue. Not that sanity is to be expected on a fan site. I am simply hoping so that I can reset my PB one more time before the end of the year.

09-07-19 04:15 PM
    feature bloat
    Yeah that's pretty much what killed my Lenovo Thinkpad 8. Came with windows8 then an update to Win10 and then NO friggin room on the 32 Gb drive to do anything. Lovely!
    09-07-19 07:27 PM