Well, I know that many people use PDF annotation (highlighting, adding notes, etc.). I know lawyers and other pros I've dealt with use the signing function as well.

I personally use annotation in grading my students paper (which I require them to submit in PDF). This also comes handy when you need to review a manuscript and then share the document with your notes with others.

Buying the same device would work but what if you need to video chat with someone who's not in your company?

I am sorry. I should have been more clear on this.

Only native (RIM) apps can run a background service. Third-party apps (including the preloaded ones such as Facebook) canNOT.

I doubt Tungle can run a background service.

I agree. I wish I could train my memory enough to go without some external reminders. But at times things get hectic.

Agree on this too. Even some senior level university students can't solve 5 times 13. That's how bad the general level of math proficiency in this country is But calculators do save time.
    Facebook is NOT a third party app

It's actually a first party app, the vendor is Research In Motion, although seems like they haven't really incorporated background services into that application yet.

As well as Android applications are able to run background services. Eg. Pulse will retrieve new stories from your RSS reads then send you a notification to let you know there are new stories.

Actually it's very interesting how the Android runtime handles notifications with the QNX OS, I was under the impression that it would be some ridiculous mess but when I saw android notifications come in I was definitely pleasantly surprised to say the least.
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 06-04-12 at 09:20 AM.
    06-04-12 09:16 AM

It's actually a first party app, the vendor is Research In Motion, although seems like they haven't really incorporated background services into that application yet.

As well as Android applications are able to run background services. Eg. Pulse will retrieve new stories from your RSS reads then send you a notification to let you know there are new stories.

Actually it's very interesting how the Android runtime handles notifications with the QNX OS, I was under the impression that it would be some ridiculous mess but when I saw android notifications come in I was definitely pleasantly surprised to say the least.
    I used to enjoy the Android background services, like the Battery Monitor application that logs battery usages continuously.

Well, with OS 2.1 update, the Battery Monitor is completely broken, and I don't see any indication that this going to be fixed (in the Android player), I could only hope it will be in the future (if there is one).

All these nice things are at best "experimental feature" on PB, as more often than not firing up Android apps require "reboot" which takes forever and I've given up relying on Android apps anymore, including my favorite Kindle app.
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-04-12 10:46 AM

Isn't it because apps in Android Player do not run background services in QNX but rather in the Android environment itself? And the latter, from what I understand, is always on eating the RAM. So Android apps running background services don't really have an advantage of less resource consumption. Am I correct here?

But again, why is it that the Android runtime (as a whole) can run a background service and notify you in real time when native apps can't? Looks like some kind of twisted logic to me.
    06-04-12 12:03 PM
    The navigation works great for many but how about ATT customers?

I was told that to tether, I had to get an additional plan for $50 a month to connect my Torch w/ PB.

True/ false?? Any ATT owners out there care to share how this can work w/o additional plan?

Thanks....
    Bluetooth ?
    06-04-12 12:15 PM
    I hope they will try to introduce all the standard features/functionality that other OSs have when BB10 is released. But that is a long wait

I also wish they could at least share what new features (compared to PBOS) BB10 will have. At least tentatively. For now, I don't know anything about BB10 other than that it will have some UI changes.
    I too find Rim's silence deafening. With new phones/tablets coming out regularly, with new features, Rim's silence leaves the marketplace with the impression that nothing's happening, nothing much is coming down the BB10 pipe. And I fear that impression may become reality.
    06-05-12 09:26 AM
    Just a few examples:

• create an Excel chart on the go;
    • always stay online, logged in, and notified with your chat/conferencing/social networking app running a background service;

Good luck with that.
    I made a bar charting app see sig below.
    Other types of charts are avaliable in appworld

Andriod apps and native im+ work/run in background with no issues especially on 2.1 os
    06-05-12 09:43 AM
    I made a bar charting app see sig below.
    Other types of charts are avaliable in appworld

Andriod apps and native im+ work/run in background with no issues especially on 2.1 os
    Thanks.

1) Is the charting app an add-on to Docs To Go or is it stand alone?

2) Are you positive that the native IM+ runs a SERVICE in the background in 2.1? That is, it still runs with the window closed (not minimized). Can someone confirm?
    06-05-12 10:48 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD