Hi everybody,

Ive been using the 16 gig Wi-Fi Playbook for a couple of years now and just had the opportunity to purchase the 4g LTE Playbook. Before I open the box and void the return policy, I have a couple of questions that a few of you might be able to answer for me to help me decide if I should keep or return this new 4g Playbook.

First, Ive been reading reports that the 4g Playbook display has a yellowish tint compared with the original. Is this true, and if so, does it noticeably affect the screen quality?

Secondly, how noticeable a difference is there in browsing speed between the two tablets when looking at websites that use Java heavily? My current Playbook gets very slow when looking at some modern websites.

Third, Ive heard that the battery life is lower in the new model. Is that only the case when using 4g? I plan on doing all my internet access via Wi-Fi and turning off the 4g.

Lastly, some of the more graphics-intensive games run choppy on the original Playbook. Does the 4gs upgraded processor make these games run smoothly?

If any of you could answer these questions I would really appreciate it, thanks!
    11-25-14 12:56 AM
    Glad to have you aboard...welcome newbie. Great questions...I don't have a 4G Playbook, just a few of the wifi ones so I can't answer your question, just wanted to welcome you here...
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-25-14 04:03 AM
    Well, I.just picked.one.of.these.up. Haven't really used it as it is waiting in the wings for when my wifes current tablet dies. The reasons I bought it were the same reasons you are considering it. The display is no different. Are the.performace problems you are encountering on native apps or sideloaded android apps? If the.latter, you would best served.just getting a high spec android tablet as the faster processor probably won't be enough to overcome the ancient runtime.

If it is native apps you are experiencing performance issues with when was the.last time you wiped and reinstalled?
    11-25-14 05:37 AM
    Gearheadaddy - Thanks buddy, it's good to be on here after lurking for years.

Old_Mil- The tablet's not having any performance issues per say, it's just that some of the newer games like Asphalt 7 and Ragged Edge run choppy. Also, the browser is really slow on some websites when Java is enabled. I wiped the device a few months ago so I know that's not the issue. The lack of live-multitasking on the Android tablets is a deal breaker also.
    11-25-14 09:29 AM
    I just received my 4g PlayBook today, and it's charging. Soon, I will place in the sim card, and see how it performs. Will update later.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-25-14 11:21 AM
    it's just that some of the newer games like Asphalt 7 and Ragged Edge run choppy. Also, the browser is really slow on some websites when Java is enabled. I wiped the device a few months ago so I know that's not the issue. The lack of live-multitasking on the Android tablets is a deal breaker also.
    Ok...the faster processor may help the games. I don't really do any mobile gaming so I am probably not the best to offer an opinion on that. Slow browsing with flash/java on seems to be par for the course on the wifi model.
    11-25-14 12:18 PM
    tony morris consulting- Thanks, I look forward to hearing your opinions when you try out the 4g version.
    11-25-14 05:18 PM
    The LTE version is slightly faster booting up, and it's moves the same as the wifi model while it's in wifi mode. Will try out the data thing and update, but it feels lighter than the wifi version, and I love the button now.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-14 04:28 PM
    Hi. Well done on the purchase. I have not heard of a yellow tint on the 4g PB. Certainly not noticed it between my wifi and 4g PBs. I do think the browser is slightly faster on the 4g one, but to me its not really important. The battery life is poorer compared to the wifi version. I dont think its because of the 4g as i read somewhere that the 4g version has a smaller battery. Hope this helps.
    11-26-14 05:16 PM
    tony morris / parryberry- Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. My main concern was the possible differences in screen quality, but if both of you haven't noticed any differences in color then that puts me more at ease with keeping it. Parryberry, if you've done any gaming on the tablet, do you notice any differences in framerate or load times?
    11-26-14 11:47 PM
    I own both the 4G and the wifi version. I notice no difference in screen. The battery life on the 4G is only slightly worse when you are connected to a cellular network. Otherwise connected to wifi, it's the same.

As far as speed and performance, I notice a marked improvement on my 4G.

Powered by Z10
    dmlis likes this.
    11-27-14 01:38 AM
    Drenegade- Thanks for your feedback, that was the sentiment I was hoping to hear!
    jtv1 likes this.
    11-27-14 08:05 PM

This is a crackberry.com video that compares the lte and wifi playbooks side by side. In some things the LTE is considerably faster in some it is slightly faster but there is a noticeable performance difference.
    11-29-14 10:47 AM
    I am back, and the 4G is faster than the wifi version. I really am glad I made the choice indeed.
    12-06-14 04:33 AM
    I am back, and the 4G is faster than the wifi version. I really am glad I made the choice indeed.
    The 4g is faster 'snappier'. Reboots, it seems, in half the time. Android Apps run smoother and gaming better. Go get one. There's some good offers out there at the moment!!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    12-06-14 08:53 AM
    Hi everybody, thought I'd come back on here and update the thread. I decided to keep the 4G Playbook that I purchased and have been using it for the past few days, so here are my impressions:

First off, the bad. Unfortunately, the screen of my 4G Playbook has a rather significant yellow tinge to it, and it is especially noticeable when comparing it to my WiFi Playbook. Any webpage or document with a white background looks off on the 4G, and the difference is especially noticeable when pulling up the on-screen keyboard and comparing the shades of grey and blue. Also, the battery life is a bit worse even when only using WiFi.

Otherwise, the 4G Playbook is exactly what I was looking for in terms of performance. The system reboots about 1/3rd faster, apps load an average of a second faster, in-app performance is often smoother, and the web browser improvements are very noticeable, especially when Java is enabled. Gaming performance doesn't seem to be significantly improved, however, except for the shorter load times.

For those of you with both the 4G and WiFi Playbooks, are you sure that there is absolutely no difference in the screen tint? I'd like to try and identify if mine was simply part of a bad batch or they're all like this, because it seems strange that Blackberry would allow the tablet to be released with this apparent defect. If any of you could compare by pulling up the same webpage/keyboard on both at the same brightness setting and let me know, I'd appreciate it!
    12-07-14 02:37 PM
    I don't have the issue with the yellow tint.
    12-07-14 06:50 PM
    I don't have the issue with the yellow tint.
    I have also no issue with a yellow tint.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    12-07-14 07:31 PM
    No yellow tinge for me. I have two wifi and one 4g playbooks.

I'm sorry you're having this problem. Its unfortunate but you obviously won't get any support for the PB anymore from BlackBerry.

The key to enjoying the PlayBook is to accept it for what it is. It does have limitations compared to other tablets but it's also got some significant advantages.