Did RIM ever say there going to make a second version of the tablet,because i have ben seeing threads saying that there selling the 32Gb version for like 130 bucks in north american countries which sounds pretty desperate for a playbook....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    09-13-12 04:54 PM
    I guess they write off their inventory to sell it so cheap like that, but it's great value for us consumer though. There will hopefully be a 10" pb "black forest" according to their product road map
    09-13-12 05:32 PM
    We saw a leaked product roadmap a while back that showed a refreshed Playbook Q2-ish next year.

The problem with Playbook right now is that it's kind of a tarnished brand. From a developmental standpoint, it's extremely important to RIM (their first QNX product, first LTE product...), but I think it's become widely viewed as a monumental blunder. There have been several threads on this forum where people have suggested that RIM needs to eliminate the Playbook as dead weight.

Personally, I still love my Playbook and I hope that the brand can be rehabilitated.
    09-13-12 05:46 PM
    The $99-$149 deals for 16-32GB Playbooks certainly sound like a clearance.

Could RIM be planning a new Playbook surprise release for Christmas? Seems unlikely but really - all they needed to do is design it and have it built. The software is there and BB10 is on the way for Jan/Feb.

I have been wondering about this for a few days now...
    09-13-12 08:40 PM
    They aren't even marketing their 4G LTE PlayBook which is brand new.
    The PlayBook has not sold well (yes, and understatement) and was a massive distraction to RIM and contributed to their current difficult situation.

What makes anyone think the a PB v2 will be different? The brand is tainted.
    09-13-12 08:44 PM
    The PlayBook has not sold well (yes, and understatement) and was a massive distraction to RIM and contributed to their current difficult situation.

Tainted to you maybe.
    09-13-12 08:56 PM
    Sales are down to less than 1% of the global tablet market (per the latest IDC global figures). Is the 4G LTE selling? You barely see any threads on it here. So yes, it is heavily tainted to me. Untouchable as far as new sales (yes, if you cut the price, even a PlayBook would sell). But does that help RIM?

Do you expect a PB 2.0?
    09-13-12 09:14 PM
    Sales are down to less than 1% of the global tablet market (per the latest IDC global figures). Is the 4G LTE selling? You barely see any threads on it here. So yes, it is heavily tainted to me. Untouchable as far as new sales (yes, if you cut the price, even a PlayBook would sell). But does that help RIM?

Do you expect a PB 2.0?
    A new PB2 will depend on the success of the new bb10 phones. If they are well received and sell well, then we may see some new PB,s.

The whole company is hanging on the bb10 thread, so are PB,s.
    09-13-12 10:31 PM
    If they came out with a playbook 2.0 i would buy it based on theses things

Same Form Factor
    Smaller or no Bezels (Swipes would still work)
    Larger display (take place of bezels)
    Double the CPU/GPU Speed
    NFC
    LED Flash

Faster booting.

Do that and i would buy it. The playbook lacks apps but that is continuing to change and should accelerate of the BB10 sells a few million devices around launch as target market for developers will grow immensely.
    09-13-12 11:03 PM
    I believe the Playbook 4g is currently for sale in Canada only. So you wouldn't see much in advertising terms in other countries. Besides, RIM has never spent many ad dollars on the PB since its launch. So I don't think current sales prices, especially in Canada, mean the end of the Playbook or its future support. The roadmap shows a new Playbook next year. I don't know if that is dependent on BB10 consumer sales and /or enterprise support. You would have to ask RIM, I don't have a crystal ball.
    09-14-12 08:21 AM
    Playbook hardware need better battery life, a sleeker form and a faster processor. It's been 1.5 years suince it was released - cutting edge then but not now.
    09-14-12 08:22 AM
    We likely won't see anything until BB10 is out. I doubt, with the exception of the LTE PlayBook, we will see a 'PlayBook 2' of sorts - until it COMES with BB10 out of the gates.
    09-14-12 08:34 AM
    Playbook hardware need better battery life, a sleeker form and a faster processor. It's been 1.5 years suince it was released - cutting edge then but not now.
    Have you compared it to the specs of tabs currently on the market? It maybe isn't cutting edge, but it certainly isn't a Commodore 64 either...
    09-14-12 09:26 AM
    While there is no denying that RIM screwed the pooch a bit with the PlayBook as far as the missing native apps, the delays, etc.. there is also no denying for anyone that has used the device more than 5 minutes how great it is.

I have to laugh when people call it a failure. If I remember right, during the Apple vs Sammy trial, didn't Sammy release sales figures for their Galaxy and their sales figures were comparable or less than the PlayBooks?
    09-14-12 09:35 AM

At this point the LTE Playbook is there more for enterprise/vertical markets than for retail. There is absolutely zero retail promotion for it right now.

With a 50% processor speed bump and NFC it points the way to where the rest of the line might have been had it sold better.
    09-14-12 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD