So much for being able to use one data plan, as it was presented originally when the playbook was announced.

I understand that the carriers are in charge of it, or should I say that RIM is not Apple and let the carriers dictate how to do things.

RIM is in unique position when it comes to a data consumption (it's really really low), but they haven't been able to take advantage of it from a competitive standpoint, that's a shame!

As for the Playbook Wi-Fi version, it doesn't make sense if you need data access and you're not in Wi-Fi area, just wait for a 4G version and pay you carriers twice for data. I doubt many people will be using data on their phone and a tablet at the same time, but will have to pay for it anyway.
    I'm sure Tether will be making an app that will be avaliable at launch.
    VZNBerry likes this.
    03-28-11 06:10 PM
    I'm sure Tether will be making an app that will be avaliable at launch.
    I haven't found a lot of use for this application, it is cumbersome and is not really "on the go". A couple times when I really needed it to work, it failed or was very slow. So I'm paying Verizon for tethering and it works every time.
    03-28-11 06:16 PM
    I haven't found a lot of use for this application, it is cumbersome and is not really "on the go". A couple times when I really needed it to work, it failed or was very slow. So I'm paying Verizon for tethering and it works every time.
    Hmmm I have a Storm2 and tether runs fine as long as i have service. You sure you have all permissions set to "allow" and the most up-to-date computer and BB software?
    03-28-11 06:17 PM
    All the US carriers charge a tethering fee. I know that it's possible to get around them on both AT&T and T-Mobile (not sure about the others, and I know that AT&T is starting to crack down so be careful), but you have to configure the settings a certain way on the laptop; my main concern is that the Playbook and its tethering settings won't allow for this so easily. Hopefully since Kevin has the Playbook he'll tinker with this for us.

can anyone elaborate about the other carriers' tethering policies and if it's possible to get around them with BlackBerrys? I've always been curious.
    Last edited by bulls2213; 03-28-11 at 06:25 PM.
    03-28-11 06:23 PM
    All the US carriers charge a tethering fee. I know that it's possible to get around them on both AT&T and T-Mobile (not sure about the others, and I know that AT&T is starting to crack down so be careful), but you have to configure the settings a certain way on the laptop; my main concern is that the Playbook and its tethering settings won't allow for this so easily.

can anyone elaborate about the other carriers' tethering policies and if it's possible to get around them with BlackBerrys? I've always been curious.
    Tether BlackBerry, Tether Android | Tether.com
    03-28-11 06:24 PM
    how do the carriers allow that though?
    03-28-11 06:26 PM
    how do the carriers allow that though?
    They don't want it to they just have no way to tell, unless you have a ridiculous spike in data usage all of a sudden. But i've been using it for 2 years got it 50% off at $25 and it's one of the best purchases for my BB i've ever made.
    03-28-11 06:29 PM
    You will get internet from your BlackBerry, or any Bluetooth internet-enabled smartphone, through Bluetooth and depending on your carrier be charged for tethered data to a tablet.
    Can you provide a source for this?

I currently pay for tethering via Verizon on my Storm2. however, I've only ever tethered via USB cable to a PC via Verizon's VZAccess magager software.

Can I assume that I can tether to the Playbook wirelessly with my Storm2 via bluetooth for internet access?
    03-28-11 06:31 PM
    They don't want it to they just have no way to tell, unless you have a ridiculous spike in data usage all of a sudden. But i've been using it for 2 years got it 50% off at $25 and it's one of the best purchases for my BB i've ever made.
    I see. Well like I said, I know that with T-Mobile and AT&T you don't even really need that software when tethering to your laptop but I'm assuming with the Playbook we will, unless it's configureable. Time will tell.
    03-28-11 06:33 PM
    Can you provide a source for this?

I currently pay for tethering via Verizon on my Storm2. however, I've only ever tethered via USB cable to a PC....can I assume that I can tether to the Playbook wirelessly via bluetooth for internet access?
    Twitter:

@VZWSupport I have a BlackBerry on the unlimited data plan. Can i tether to my BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet for no extra charge?

@dwdsquared2 The Mobile Broadband feature that allows you tethering a computer is $20.00 for 2 GB. See details at Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans *AC

You may not have to pay anything if you already tether, I would contact Verizon to make sure though.
    03-28-11 06:33 PM
    Hmmm I have a Storm2 and tether runs fine as long as i have service. You sure you have all permissions set to "allow" and the most up-to-date computer and BB software?
    It's OK for an occasional use, but I wouldn't bet my business on it. It doesn't handle interrupts well (phone calls) and can lock up.
    03-28-11 06:39 PM
    Twitter...
    Yes, but that does not say anything about tethering wirelessly via bluetooth.

I am assuming I'll at least be able to tether via USB cable...but when wiFi is not available or I'm on the go.... I'd rather not have to walk around with a wire going from my playbook to my pocket / holster where my BB is located.
    03-28-11 06:40 PM
    It's OK for an occasional use, but I wouldn't bet my business on it. It doesn't handle interrupts well (phone calls) and can lock up.
    Well with Verizon, it cannot do data and calls at the same time. So it prioritizes the call and suspends data.
    03-28-11 06:41 PM
    Would the playbook be able to connect to wireless ad hoc?
    03-28-11 06:47 PM
    Yes, but that does not say anything about tethering wirelessly via bluetooth.

I am assuming I'll at least be able to tether via USB cable...but when wiFi is not available or I'm on the go.... I'd rather not have to walk around with a wire going from my playbook to my pocket / holster where my BB is located.
    I was getting around to that, it was buried deep in cyberspace.

The video with Sr. Product Manager Ryan Bidan is here:

The Engadget Interview: Ryan Bidan, BlackBerry PlayBook senior product manager -- Engadget

He says at 8:20
    "What we do have as a connectivity solution is Bluetooth tethering to a smartphone. So whether it's BlackBerry or not, um if you have a smartphone that supports the bluetooth-done tethering profile you can connect it as a WAN profile..."
    jdefuria likes this.
    03-28-11 06:48 PM
    Would the playbook be able to connect to wireless ad hoc?
    I'm not sure if that's been announced yet, but Bluetooth uses less battery.
    03-28-11 06:52 PM
    I was getting around to that, it was buried deep in cyberspace.
    No kidding!

I guess the only question for me then...is does the Storm2 device support a bluetooth tethering profile.

I see you have a Storm2...do you know? I've never tried to tether my storm 2 to any device via bluetooth...
    03-28-11 06:52 PM
    No kidding!

I guess the only question for me then...is does the Storm2 device support a bluetooth tethering profile.

I see you have a Storm2...do you know? I've never tried to tether my storm 2 to any device via bluetooth...
    I've never done it, however you can run Tether as "bluetooth" instead of "usb" on my app. So it's possible as you just select "bluetooth" on both the BB and computer program.
    jdefuria likes this.
    03-28-11 06:58 PM
    Dang, its weird that Staplesadvantage says tethering will be no extra charge, but we know how accurate Staples has been with this product.

Tablet: What is it? Which tablet is right for me?
    03-28-11 08:04 PM
    Dang, its weird that Staplesadvantage says tethering will be no extra charge, but we know how accurate Staples has been with this product.

Tablet: What is it? Which tablet is right for me?
    I honestly don't know, i talked to Verizon they said they're charging. I'm still gonna try haha
    03-28-11 08:09 PM
    I guess the only question for me then...is does the Storm2 device support a Bluetooth tethering profile.
    I have a Torch so it may be different but *I THINK* if you have "Dial Up Networking" as a Bluetooth Profile, you should be fine.

Try this:

1. Go to Bluetooth Options
    2. Hit the Menu button (Blackberry logo button) and select "Options".
    3. Look at your "Services"
    4. If you have "Dial Up Networking" checked, you should be fine.

For more details (and I'm not sure if it's the same on a Storm2):
    5. On this same screen hit Menu button and select "Help"
    6. Select "Bluetooth Technology Options"
    7. Once on this screen, select "Bluetooth Profiles".
    8. You will see a description of the bluetooth profiles and see that Dial Up Networking is described as follows:

This profile allows you to use your Blackberry device as a modem when it is connected to a Bluetooth enabled computer that is running Blackboard Desktop Software".

It looks like the same scenario when you use your Blackberry phone as a tethering device on your PC. In this case, your PC is your Playbook and that portion of the Blackberry Desktop software that makes it work is in your tablet.

Take a look at the other Bluetooth profiles and you'll see how the Data Transfer, Desktop Connectivity, Message Access Profile, Serial Port Profile and Wireless Bypass might help with what the Playbook is doing and how it communicates.

With all this said, these are standard Bluetooth protocols that are not Blackberry specific, per se, and if you non-Blackberry device does some or all of these Bluetooth profiles, you *MAY* be able to do some Playbook transferring as well (like how it may tether to a non-Blackberry phone).

I'm not certain of this but if anyone has any solid information (before the launch), it would be helpful. You can't really tell until you see the Bluetooth profiles that the Playbook has.

Hope this helps.
    jdefuria likes this.
    03-28-11 08:59 PM
    Tethering is almost always an extra charge unless you have your phone hacked such as my Droid Pro which is rooted and can use a app that allows my to tether for free. And on ATT this is more of an apparent fact with the letter and emails Att has been sending out to people who have been hacking Android phones and using the free tether and telling them to stop or they will add the tether plan on
    03-28-11 09:13 PM
    Word is for Rogers customers, if you have a 1GB data plan or bigger, tethering is included for free. That 6GB data plan looks a whole lot better now
    03-28-11 09:26 PM
    RIM requested a confidentiality agreement with the FCC for internal, external pictures and the user's manual. This agreement ends in 3 days. Maybe some more facts in that?
    Oh good to know

Read your sig. I dreamed about the playbook on the weekend o.o
    I don't think i've ever dreamed about a particular computer/tablet/phone before lol
    03-28-11 09:52 PM
    I have a Torch so it may be different but *I THINK* if you have "Dial Up Networking" as a Bluetooth Profile, you should be fine....
    Thanks! I can confirm that the Storm2 does have Dial Up Networking as a Bluetooth Profile...

I'm a bit more confident now that I should be able to pair this with the Playbook for wireless internet tethering.
    03-28-11 10:00 PM
129 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD