Hey guys,
    Earlier today we had a webinar about the Playbook and were given some materials that we were told to share with consumers and one of them was the FAQs. Well I thought that there would be no better way to share this stuff with the Crackberry Nation. I emailed Kevin this stuff and as you can see from the front page of the site he was happy to see what he was sent. So here are the frequently asked questions. If you guys have any questions for me feel free to message me or find me on here or twitter sane username Mediq91.
    Mediq91
    03-28-11 02:06 PM
    In a future software update for the BlackBerry PlayBook, we will also provide native e-mail, calendar, and contact apps for those customers who prefer to have these apps directly on the tablet.

There's the answer to the native email question
    03-28-11 02:34 PM
    Do you know if the bridge will allow the playbook to use the phone's data connection? If that so it would be advantageous to have the wifi version as you can change carriers and upgrade to 4g (and eventually 5g) by just changing your phone rather than changing the playbook...
    03-28-11 02:45 PM
    will there be a lock screen when the device's screen goes dark? or a gesture to unlock it?
    03-28-11 02:48 PM
    Do you know if the bridge will allow the playbook to use the phone's data connection? If that so it would be advantageous to have the wifi version as you can change carriers and upgrade to 4g (and eventually 5g) by just changing your phone rather than changing the playbook...
    The PlayBook can use any smartphone's Bluetooth enabled internet connection to get wifi-alternate internet access. You will most likley have to pay a fee to your carrier for this;
    03-28-11 02:52 PM
    will there be a lock screen when the device's screen goes dark? or a gesture to unlock it?
    A video a while back showed the screen turning back on by swiping from the left bezel across the screen to the right bezel. Who knows if this is how it will work at launch. Still many details we unfortunately just don't know yet.
    03-28-11 02:54 PM
    RIM requested a confidentiality agreement with the FCC for internal, external pictures and the user's manual. This agreement ends in 3 days. Maybe some more facts in that?
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 03-28-11 at 03:02 PM.
    03-28-11 02:57 PM
    A video a while back showed the screen turning back on by swiping from the left bezel across the screen to the right bezel. Who knows if this is how it will work at launch. Still many details we unfortunately just don't know yet.
    That would be a really dumb idea, cz lets say you put it in your pocket, there will be pressure and heat on the screen, and it will most likely turn on in your pocket...
    03-28-11 02:58 PM
    Didn't RIM request an confidentiality agreement with the FCC for internal, external pictures and the user's manual. This agreement ends in 3 days.
    Yes, so we will see a few more details on 4/1/2011 unless they extend the short-term conf agreement
    03-28-11 02:58 PM
    That would be a really dumb idea, cz lets say you put it in your pocket, there will be pressure and heat on the screen, and it will most likely turn on in your pocket...
    iPhone and Android unlock by swiping across the screen. You aren't going to be able to replicate this motion in your pocket.
    03-28-11 03:05 PM
    iPhone and Android unlock by swiping across the screen. You aren't going to be able to replicate this motion in your pocket.
    but the playbook it was just a swipe, on iOS and android theres a lockscreen, but the playbook is only a swipe and then it goes to the main screen, and one may think you won't be able to replicate it, but I have many times..
    03-28-11 03:08 PM
    but the playbook it was just a swipe, on iOS and android theres a lockscreen, but the playbook is only a swipe and then it goes to the main screen, and one may think you won't be able to replicate it, but I have many times..
    That's not the lock screen, that's how you wake it up after the screen goes off after a few minutes and the device isn't locked
    03-28-11 03:09 PM
    That's not the lock screen, that's how you wake it up after the screen goes off after a few minutes and the device isn't locked
    ok, so will there be a lock screen?
    03-28-11 03:14 PM
    Kevin locked it by the top button in that video with the iPad2. Problem is, he accidentally unlocked it a couple of times by touching it and if it's in a pocket, it might unlock itself.
    03-28-11 03:17 PM
    ok, so will there be a lock screen?
    I certainly hope so. It's just not been shown, i think that's one of those common-sense things to include so i'm sure it's there.
    Great INFO!!!!!!

I went ahead and stickied this thread! I took away the sticky from the now expired 50 off (Canada only) coupon thread. Maybe we can use this thread for folks to ask questions also? I know that some folks will soon have (or may already have) pre-release devices, and might be willing to answer some questions???? 100% understand those who don't want to risk it. Anyways we can ask.
    Thank you so much for posting this mediq91. This is great news!
    03-28-11 04:00 PM
    I hope you guys are like all the information that has been posted today it was very exciting news for me to see this when I did
    03-28-11 04:03 PM
    That is a big item to put in your pocket. I don't want anything much larger than the average phone in my pocket as it is. So problem solved, don't put it places it wasn't intended to be.
    03-28-11 04:15 PM
    I would have liked the QNX OS in the next "storm".... The power of the playbook...in a phone.
    03-28-11 04:31 PM
    I would have liked the QNX OS in the next "storm".... The power of the playbook...in a phone.
    they had to wait until ample processing power and battery life was do-able, which is 2012. monaco with 6.1 should definitley hold us over
    03-28-11 05:26 PM
    looks Great! Any word on the battery life? I know they say 10 hours......just curious if there was anything discussed in the Verizon training?
    03-28-11 05:49 PM
    Does anyone know if you will be able to use the internet browser on your playbook and have the data connection come from your bridged Blackberry? I cannot wait for the playbook to get into my hands but this is the one question that I jsut cannot seem to get an answer to.

ANy help would be great. Not a deal breaker for me but would sweeten the prize if it could do it.
    03-28-11 05:53 PM
    Does anyone know if you will be able to use the internet browser on your playbook and have the data connection come from your bridged Blackberry? I cannot wait for the playbook to get into my hands but this is the one question that I jsut cannot seem to get an answer to.

ANy help would be great. Not a deal breaker for me but would sweeten the prize if it could do it.
    You will get internet from your BlackBerry, or any Bluetooth internet-enabled smartphone, through Bluetooth and depending on your carrier be charged for tethered data to a tablet.
    03-28-11 06:02 PM
    The PlayBook can use any smartphone's Bluetooth enabled internet connection to get wifi-alternate internet access. You will most likley have to pay a fee to your carrier for this;
    So much for being able to use one data plan, as it was presented originally when the playbook was announced.

I understand that the carriers are in charge of it, or should I say that RIM is not Apple and let the carriers dictate how to do things.

RIM is in unique position when it comes to a data consumption (it's really really low), but they haven't been able to take advantage of it from a competitive standpoint, that's a shame!

As for the Playbook Wi-Fi version, it doesn't make sense if you need data access and you're not in Wi-Fi area, just wait for a 4G version and pay you carriers twice for data. I doubt many people will be using data on their phone and a tablet at the same time, but will have to pay for it anyway.
    03-28-11 06:08 PM
129 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD