I have this crazy idea. Circuit boards are dirt cheap these days. The Raspberry Pi is open source. What if we can get something like the Pi Zero but with 8GB or ram, and a modern processor, with a layout that could just replace the main board in the Playbook.

The screen is still very decent, the speakers are pretty good. We know the guys who design it won some awards for the design.

If we could stick a new brain board in there, we could have Android 10, or full Linux.
    The only thing useful on the Playbook is the RAM, and we could put a faster SDCard, or even a USB3 drive inside the part of the Playbook we loved, and do away with the parts that killed Blackberry.
    10-16-20 09:20 AM
    Screen with those huge bezels and low resolution... not worth it.

While the speakers are great.... so is a good pair of Bluetooth headphones or earbuds.

I bet with some time, the guts of another tablet could be stuck in there..... most Raspberry have ports that are too tall - without some modification. But a 7" or 8" Fire Tablet.... for $40 or $50 - rip out the gut and swap them around. But again ports are the issues as some will be on the main board, and then the Fire Tablet's screens are so much nicer... why not leave them as the are?

But in the end, it won't run PBOS (good thing) so would it really be a BlackBerry?
    Ratteler likes this.
    10-16-20 10:44 AM
    Screen with those huge bezels and low resolution... not worth it.

While the speakers are great.... so is a good pair of Bluetooth headphones or earbuds.

I bet with some time, the guts of another tablet could be stuck in there..... most Raspberry have ports that are too tall - without some modification. But a 7" or 8" Fire Tablet.... for $40 or $50 - rip out the gut and swap them around. But again ports are the issues as some will be on the main board, and then the Fire Tablet's screens are so much nicer... why not leave them as the are?

But in the end, it won't run PBOS (good thing) so would it really be a BlackBerry?
    I have an old Playbook. Still functions. Worst mistake I ever made. Batteries are good. The Camera are Ok. The screen is actually pretty nice. You mentioned the speakers.

If I could wipe PBOS and put an real android or Linux on it I would be happy.

It's useless BECAUSE it's a boot locked Blackberry. I replaced the screen when I broke it a million years ago. So I've been inside it before. the main PCB is like a Pi Zero. Hooking up a Pi4 to the parts that are worth using is the best I can hope for unless they make a Pi4 Zero.

Still, a little touch screen could find a use. It's not worth selling on Ebay.
    11-17-20 08:03 PM
    I have an old Playbook. Still functions. Worst mistake I ever made. Batteries are good. The Camera are Ok. The screen is actually pretty nice. You mentioned the speakers.

If I could wipe PBOS and put an real android or Linux on it I would be happy.

It's useless BECAUSE it's a boot locked Blackberry. I replaced the screen when I broke it a million years ago. So I've been inside it before. the main PCB is like a Pi Zero. Hooking up a Pi4 to the parts that are worth using is the best I can hope for unless they make a Pi4 Zero.

Still, a little touch screen could find a use. It's not worth selling on Ebay.
    Strange thing is I bought a cheap Windows tablet a year or two after my PlayBook... Still only had 1GB of RAM and a nothing processor - camera and speakers were worthless. But I don't take pictures with my Tablet, and headphone are the norm. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and it' still updates and runs. I can browser Internet just fine and do email and many other things...

Bottom line it's the software that limits the PlayBook at this point.... and most every other BlackBerry device since.
    mh1983 likes this.
    11-18-20 09:46 AM