The thing is if BlackBerry Hub is gone from the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 10 version, it should run decently. Now you can run about 8-12 apps, and about 4-5 big name game titles before the PlayBook's 1 GB of RAM starts to give out. Although on the Z10, you only have 1 GB of RAM to work with for apps, as 1 GB is taken up by system overhead + the Hub. Chances are we won't see the Hub on the PlayBook, to be honest I never saw my PlayBook as a standalone communications device anyways so missing the Hub on the PlayBook won't be such a big deal at least for me. I always saw the PlayBook as an extension of the BlackBerry smartphone.

Long story short, if features will be axed, in my opinion the BlackBerry Hub will be the first thing to go.
    And now with the CRIPPLING of the Bridge function, they have ruined that "extension" of the phone.
    goku_vegeta and Rello like this.
    02-26-13 11:06 PM
    Yes, track record. Plus the fact that the PB's memory is not up to the size required to run BB10.
    Note that many of the BlackBerry employees are currently stuck with Dev Alphas and earlier generation Z10 phones which have only 1GB RAM. No, they're not entirely happy with them, but the point is they do work. With some optimization and some tricks (maybe not having Hub running continuously for example) they should be able to make it reasonably effective on the PlayBook too.

There are reasons why we won't see BB10 on the PlayBook in the next couple of months, however, and this is likely one of the biggies...

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 11:09 PM
    So its not BB10...maybe they will call it PBOS 3.0...sort of windows 7.8. you're close but will never get there.
    Wait, what? Yes it's BB10. Who said it won't be? That's just not the case.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 11:12 PM
    Really BB10 is just a name. As long as the functionality is there I don't care what they call it. It's not like it will look just the same as it does on the Z10. At least I don't believe it will.
    02-26-13 11:26 PM
    The PLAYBOOK getting active frames would be a step back. I like how my apps launch and stay running how they are now. I like being able to swipe left and right between apps. It makes no sense to put active frames on the PLAYBOOK.

Whatever they do it will be an improvement. Getting rid of this browser and keyboard along with getting BlackBerry10 apps will be a huge leap forward for PLAYBOOK.
    There is no need for the peek hub etc. That is good for a phone...not so much for a tablet.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    I agree. I want a much improved browser and keyboard. I am fine with nothing else.
    KQ17 likes this.
    02-26-13 11:30 PM
    Yes, please improve the ******* keyboard. I'm sick of it disappearing for no reason, being unresponsive, etc. I HATE IT.
    axllebeer and Rello like this.
    02-27-13 01:44 AM
    Yes, please improve the ******* keyboard. I'm sick of it disappearing for no reason, being unresponsive, etc. I HATE IT.
    It just needs to have a good prediction system like we have in BB10, and I will be good to go.
    02-27-13 03:06 AM
    don't know how it is in your area but in southern ontario a few months back, they couldn't give away playbooks. now, all of a sudden they're gone, not one store I've been to has them, futureshop, bestbuy, staples etc, gone!. its been mentioned here and I think it may be true. a new bb tablet with 2 gig ram is coming for future os 's be it 10 or whatever
    02-27-13 08:01 AM
    It just needs to have a good prediction system like we have in BB10, and I will be good to go.
    It needs to not be written in AIR.
    KQ17 and convenor like this.
    02-27-13 09:35 AM
    Bummer.

Just went to the store's website to order one online, only to find out that they're no longer offering free Blackberry leather cases with every purchase of a 64GB unit.
    Guess I'll either wait for the offer to be reinstated or look for another store.

Oh well. That should allow me for some more days/weeks/months of masochistic pleasures trying to figure out what exactly is wrong between Phonegap and WebOS. Lol.

Jokes aside, I'll probably just experiment with the Blackberry simulator until I can get an actual device. That should prepare me well for the mindblowing experience that is Blackberry*

*I'm serious here. The fact that development tools are superior to anything else I've seen to date makes me think RIM really cares about the future of it's Blackberry platform. The sheer awesomeness of Ripple's on-the-fly build makes me wanting to not go back to any other mobile OS.
    erodenero likes this.
    02-27-13 12:53 PM
    Wait, what? Yes it's BB10. Who said it won't be? That's just not the case.

Posted via CB10
    I think you've maybe missed his point. Unless it has everything that is in BB10 on the phones, it isn't BB10... it's BB10-Lite... or, as the man said, PBOS3.0.
    02-27-13 01:53 PM
    It needs to not be written in AIR.
    THIS! AIR needs to die, quick.
    erodenero likes this.
    02-27-13 02:56 PM
    They both have the SwiftKey word prediction system
    02-27-13 03:03 PM
    For developers it's a pain in the ****. A more or less standard across the board IS what is needed. Have you not noticed nothing new has been coming to the playbook lately?
    02-27-13 07:44 PM
    It is coming to all current playbooks. For the millionth time.
    02-27-13 08:03 PM
    Yeah! good news for me
    02-27-13 08:48 PM
    Yes, track record. Plus the fact that the PB's memory is not up to the size required to run BB10.
    I have a crazy theory on that.. Heins also stated that they were looking for a way to be profitable in the tablet market (in competition with Google's uber cheap android tablets)...

What if they could slim down BB10 to work on the playbook? With 1GB? If they could, that would put Blackberry in a position to compete with the cheap Android POS tablets flooding the market.

For starters, reduce the number of active frames on the Z10 from 8 to 4 on the playbook. Part of the 2GB requirement is support for active frames....

There's no reason that BB10 couldn't run on a 1GB tablet. And that means that BB can reduce their hardware costs in order to introduce a competitive tablet.

I predict that BB10 will come to old playbooks and that we PB owners will be the beta testers for BB's foray into the tablet market.
    02-27-13 08:51 PM
    I have a crazy theory on that.. Heins also stated that they were looking for a way to be profitable in the tablet market (in competition with Google's uber cheap android tablets)...

What if they could slim down BB10 to work on the playbook? With 1GB? If they could, that would put Blackberry in a position to compete with the cheap Android POS tablets flooding the market.

For starters, reduce the number of active frames on the Z10 from 8 to 4 on the playbook. Part of the 2GB requirement is support for active frames....

There's no reason that BB10 couldn't run on a 1GB tablet. And that means that BB can reduce their hardware costs in order to introduce a competitive tablet.

I predict that BB10 will come to old playbooks and that we PB owners will be the beta testers for BB's foray into the tablet market.
    We have been and continue to be the BETA testers for BB's foray into the Tablet Market.
    JeepBB and FantomLightning like this.
    02-27-13 10:54 PM
    A prediction system will not improve input latency. That's a clear software issue that is inherent in the code and AIR. Not a feature based oversight.
    02-27-13 11:03 PM
    Everyone keeps complaining about these threads, but like a train wreck, I just can't help but look, haha. So I'll throw in my thoughts... With no phone app, that's gotta help out the memory issue at least a bit. I could really care less about the visual changes, or even getting the hub or active frames... I just want one thing. BB10 app compatibility. That's it. The rest could pretty much stay the same for all I care
    02-27-13 11:07 PM
    The PlayBook has served me extremely well. Just had an update few days ago and some iteration of BB10 is coming. A two year old device that keeps getting better and still leads the rest of the pack in many regards.
    02-28-13 12:03 AM
    I'm hoping they make a grilling usb attachment so I can cook hotdogs. I'm sick of shoving them into my fat face cold.
    02-28-13 01:18 AM
    I'm hoping they make a grilling usb attachment so I can cook hotdogs. I'm sick of shoving them into my fat face cold.
    Follow the . It's that **** simple.
    Last edited by recompile; 02-28-13 at 03:43 AM. Reason: broken link
    02-28-13 03:41 AM
    A prediction system will not improve input latency. That's a clear software issue that is inherent in the code and AIR. Not a feature based oversight.
    Okay, point taken.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    02-28-13 03:55 AM
    My guess is that BB10 on the PlayBook is coming in May, announced at the BlackBerry Live conference (formerly BB World).
    02-28-13 04:31 AM
62 123