Hi everyone

As someone who currently looks into making the switch (well. Not exactly a complete switch. I'll probably still use WebOS as a secondary OS and for my smartphone) from WebOS to Blackberry OS 10, I'm very much interested in whether Blackberry OS 10 will be fully compatible with the Playbook.

I know RIM has already pointed out the Playbook's compatibility with Blackberry OS 10. However, I couldn't quite figure out whether they were referring to the "2nd generation" 1.5GHz Playbook or the Playbook platform as a whole.

Are there any specifics yet?
    02-26-13 11:35 AM
    It's stated that the Blackberry 10 OS will be coming to all existing Playbooks. As to when, that's up to RIM.
    02-26-13 11:39 AM
    Wow. That sure is good to hear.
    Can't wait to buy a 64GB Playbook now. Might be a total overkill, in terms of flash memory (in all probability, I won't install many 3rd party apps and only use it as a development tool for my own apps), but it's the only one currently on sale in a store near me.
    02-26-13 11:48 AM
    Congratulations on your new PlayBook it seems, then! I am certain you'll enjoy it. I've had my hands on Ipads and Droid based tablets and by far this is the best device I've owned.
    02-26-13 11:52 AM
    Can't wait to buy a 64GB Playbook now. Might be a total overkill, in terms of flash memory (in all probability, I won't install many 3rd party apps and only use it as a development tool for my own apps), but it's the only one currently on sale in a store near me.
    64GB is the way to go, so that you can put other media on it (videos, music, photos, etc)
    02-26-13 11:52 AM
    64 gigger FTW!!! you'll be glad you did...
    02-26-13 11:55 AM
    Another 64Gb with bridged 9850. Cool.
    02-26-13 03:30 PM
    It's stated that the Blackberry 10 OS will be coming to all existing Playbooks. As to when, that's up to RIM.
    I've got my doubts that it will, reading between the lines. But we will see.
    02-26-13 03:38 PM
    I've got my doubts that it will, reading between the lines. But we will see.
    Every quote I have read stated it would. I also remember reading one from Heins saying that existing PB's would get the update from BBRY sometime this year. Hard to read in between that imho. Sounds more like skepticism, though understandable given RIM's track record in the past.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-26-13 05:10 PM
    understandable given RIM's track record in the past.
    Yes, track record. Plus the fact that the PB's memory is not up to the size required to run BB10.
    02-26-13 05:51 PM
    There is no reason why BB could not develop a version of BB10 optimised for the 1 GB memory available. There will obviously be tradeoffs, but we are regularly promised by a BB employee in the BB Playbook beta forum that we will be "pleasantly surprised" with the result.
    02-26-13 05:58 PM
    Right now the issue that's really affecting performance for QNX on a PlayBook is just the amount of RAM on it. It was said that 2 GB is needed for truly efficient use on a device. Of course, having more on-board memory doesn't hurt at all

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    02-26-13 06:09 PM
    There is no reason why BB could not develop a version of BB10 optimised for the 1 GB memory available. There will obviously be tradeoffs, but we are regularly promised by a BB employee in the BB Playbook beta forum that we will be "pleasantly surprised" with the result.
    I really do hope your correct. I just tend to be very optimistic regarding any promises from Blackberry.
    02-26-13 06:09 PM
    I really do hope your correct. I just tend to be very optimistic regarding any promises from Blackberry.
    You mean pessimistic?
    02-26-13 06:11 PM
    I think BB10 on the PlayBook will look and feel a lot like it does today, just more BB10 specific with a few improvements here and there and of course the obligatory name change. After all, the current OS is still QNX-based.
    Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 02-26-13 at 06:55 PM.
    02-26-13 06:12 PM
    This thread will end as a ridicule. I thought we want no more of it?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 06:12 PM
    You mean pessimistic?
    Oops, it's late, too many beers. Thanks for correcting me.
    02-26-13 06:27 PM
    This thread will end as a ridicule. I thought we want no more of it?

Posted via CB10
    1. Why?

2. More of what?

What are you talking about?
    02-26-13 06:39 PM
    I think BB10 on the PlayBook will look and feel a lot like it does today, just more BB10 specific with a few improvements here and there and of course the obligatory name change. After all, the current OS is still QNX-based.
    As long as I get a faster browser and keyboard, I am fine with whatever they push out.
    02-26-13 07:21 PM
    If Blackberry can somehow make it less resource intensive for the Playbook to run BB10, I'm sure it will be good. But it still remains to be seen.
    02-26-13 08:07 PM
    If it looks pretty much the same 2.1 looks on the PlayBook now but adds the apps and functionality of BB10 then I'll be a happy camper.
    02-26-13 09:10 PM
    Right now the issue that's really affecting performance for QNX on a PlayBook is just the amount of RAM on it. It was said that 2 GB is needed for truly efficient use on a device. Of course, having more on-board memory doesn't hurt at all

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    The thing is if BlackBerry Hub is gone from the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 10 version, it should run decently. Now you can run about 8-12 apps, and about 4-5 big name game titles before the PlayBook's 1 GB of RAM starts to give out. Although on the Z10, you only have 1 GB of RAM to work with for apps, as 1 GB is taken up by system overhead + the Hub. Chances are we won't see the Hub on the PlayBook, to be honest I never saw my PlayBook as a standalone communications device anyways so missing the Hub on the PlayBook won't be such a big deal at least for me. I always saw the PlayBook as an extension of the BlackBerry smartphone.

Long story short, if features will be axed, in my opinion the BlackBerry Hub will be the first thing to go.
    Manju100, Revampd and DAnklaud like this.
    02-26-13 09:21 PM
    So its not BB10...maybe they will call it PBOS 3.0...sort of windows 7.8. you're close but will never get there.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 10:03 PM
    So its not BB10...maybe they will call it PBOS 3.0...sort of windows 7.8. you're close but will never get there.

Posted via CB10
    This is my thinking as well. And really to keep the OS running smoothly I think this is the right approach.
    02-26-13 10:15 PM
    The PLAYBOOK getting active frames would be a step back. I like how my apps launch and stay running how they are now. I like being able to swipe left and right between apps. It makes no sense to put active frames on the PLAYBOOK.

Whatever they do it will be an improvement. Getting rid of this browser and keyboard along with getting BlackBerry10 apps will be a huge leap forward for PLAYBOOK.
    There is no need for the peek hub etc. That is good for a phone...not so much for a tablet.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    Gerii, goku_vegeta, imz and 1 others like this.
    02-26-13 10:58 PM
62 123