Can anyone please provide me with a .BAR file of the Blackberry News app for the Playbook?

It is not available in my country I dunno why. I would really love to learn how to make a .BAR file of my apps. I would love to back them up and batch reinstall them whenever I want using DDPB installer. I don't mind sharing them as well.

I need that BB news app for the Playbook. Please help me with that.
    Thanks
    Gerii likes this.
    08-08-11 03:28 PM
    No one has found a way to extract bar files from the playbook. And it will probably be a long time before they do.

So, basically your best bet is to petition RIM to provide access to the app to your country. Good luck I hope you will succeed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 05:14 PM
    No one has found a way to extract bar files from the playbook. And it will probably be a long time before they do.

So, basically your best bet is to petition RIM to provide access to the app to your country. Good luck I hope you will succeed

Then how do others make the .BAR files available? Never sideloaded a bar file before? Regarding the petition thing, I had a chance to speak with a guy from RIM and told him about the Blackberry News app specifically. He said why would we not make it available in your country? We sent the local telecom authority a list of 1000 apps in an MS Excel sheet for the Playbook and they approved only 400. I spoke later with one guy working for that Telecom Authority and he said why would we ban a news app? This never happened. I got confused and now looking for a way to sideload it and also looking for other apps such as VEVO. It's not available either.

I wish if there was a way to enable the US market just like on Android with Market Enabler.

Thanks anyways
    08-08-11 05:57 PM
    If someone were willing to break copyright laws they could get the app from the PlayBook (it is technically feasible, in spite of what Foreverup says above) and send it to you.
    08-08-11 07:08 PM
    The news app is only available through app world. The bar files that were posted here by louis were free web programs that he compiled into bar files and other developers have offered the bar files so they could have there apps tested.

I was not trying to lie but there isn't a way right now to get the bar files for RIM made apps.

If you want an RSS feed reader I would suggest GeeReader.

Last edited by Foreverup; 08-08-11 at 07:21 PM.
    khalmarri likes this.
    08-08-11 07:17 PM
    A better solution would be to 'trick' app world into thinking you are in the USA.

Is this possible on the PlayBook?

Connect through a Router based VPN service?

Masking of the WAN ip Address?

08-08-11 07:23 PM
    A better solution would be to 'trick' app world into thinking you are in the USA.

Is this possible on the PlayBook?

Connect through a Router based VPN service?

Masking of the WAN ip Address?

I've tried using a proxy IP address and I can definitely trick App World into thinking I'm in the US. I can search and find BlackBerry News (normally doesn't show), but when I try to install the app it comes up with an error. So close! I'm in Australia btw.
    08-08-11 07:28 PM
    I am in Australia also. When I was on holidays in the US recently I downloaded the news app for the Blackberry Phone.

I don't understand why they don't release it here.

08-08-11 08:38 PM
    Well that's one work around!

Agreed, it is very disappointing that some of the really slick apps are passing the rest of us by. I'd like to check out that VEVO app too but I'm guessing that's a no go.
    08-08-11 08:49 PM
    Peter is right, there are ways to get the bar files off the PB.

Here, looks like someone figured it out and a little digging discovered their work.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    Last edited by HaTaX; 08-08-11 at 10:16 PM.
    08-08-11 09:57 PM
    Thanks HaTaX! Just to confirm this is the signed .bar file? So if I drag and drop this onto that handy installation batch file you created it'll load it onto my PB? I would try this before asking but I'm at work so will have to wait until I'm home.
    08-08-11 11:59 PM
    Yup, appears to be a fully signed and usable bar file. Should be able to side load it the same as any of the other bar files floating around
    08-09-11 12:09 AM

Here, looks like someone figured it out and a little digging discovered their work.

LOL and thanks HaTaX..
    Say hi to that someone who figured it out from me
    08-09-11 05:12 AM
    Thanks alot HataX.

I would suggest if we "Blackberry Users" have a site where we share .BAR files. Normally the free ones that are not available everywhere like the BB News app and VEVO. Something like this Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
    It would be the best.
    08-09-11 06:22 AM
    Glad that could help you guys out, I'll see if I can find the uploader and tell them Hi & Thanks.

I agree with the site to make regional applications available, I think people outside the available areas would appreciate access to the apps. Honestly I think some type of a website that you can purchase PB apps besides the app store is the way to go. Right now we've got some developers that are fighting app world to get their releases out and it would be nice to have a different avenue for those developers.

Just thinking out loud here.
    08-09-11 08:50 AM
    I was not trying to lie but there isn't a way right now to get the bar files for RIM made apps.
    Simply not true. I know of three different ways, so far, depending on the app in question.
    08-09-11 09:22 AM
    Need vevo sideload bar, anyone shared?
    08-13-11 07:07 PM

Good Day HaTaX,

Do you have any idea if the .bar file for the the News App 1.1.0.1 will be possible to extract like the previous version posted above by you.

Thanks
    08-19-11 05:29 AM
    Please please pretty please would someone please release the .bar for news 1.1

08-19-11 06:26 AM
    Hatax, if you knew of uploaded .bar files for vevo, oanda currency converter and big package, you'd be doing me a big favour.
    thanks
    09-06-11 02:48 PM
    Back on topic; I live in the netherlands, and no BB News app for us either, very strange since it is just a news reader...

What I did to get it installed is using an USA anonymous proxy(simply using google) on port 80 in the wifi settings and let the appworld find the news app and install it, then use your own wifi connection and it works just fine.

Hope this helps,
    09-06-11 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD