After reading all the comments re: the flimsiness of the Playbook's USB port, I marvel that the USB port on my 16 GB Playbook has survived my two cats.
    While I keep my 64 GB Playbook on a charging stand most of the time, I usually have the 16 GB Playbook inserted in a reverse position in a Targus case, so that I can use the stock line charger while the Playbook's screen is propped up at an angle.
    On numerous occasions, one or both of the cats have knocked down that Playbook while it has been charging. Furthermore, the younger cat has been chewing away at the plastic(?) end of the charging cord next to the male USB plug, leaving this teeth marks all over that plastic(?).
    Yet, that charging cord/USB setup is still plugging along.
    Yes, I know I'm jinxing myself.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-22-13 12:24 PM
    Most are damaged from people putting the cord on the wrong way. Over time they break the port. Even normally inserted it's a poor design. Why the magnetic charging dock is the best.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-22-13 12:29 PM
    Yes mine has been knocked on the floor a few times and the cable got bent and loose but I think the port is fine, could use a new cable though.
    11-22-13 01:04 PM
    My work PB has been charged daily via USB port 5, and many times 6, days a week for over two years with no problems, not counting it's regular use for data backup. Of the other PBs at work only one has had a USB issue and that from a pilot that that wouldn't check plug orientation before inserting. That problem occurs with all devices using mini USB plugs that are inserted incorrectly, as noted in the android phone and tablet forums as well as BB phone forums, not too mention many camera forums I used to frequent.

The problem is the plug type itself not being very tolerant of incorrect use. Given the complaints I've read on several device forums and here, I don't see it being any more of an issue on PBs than the other devices using mini USB ports.
    11-23-13 01:38 PM
    Just tried a DIY repair of the USB port. According to the Youtube videos I've watched the port is 'only' held on by two blobs of red resin/mastic. After removing them as instructed I found it's still held on by its feet soldered to the board, which my old soldering iron struggled to melt. The port I got was 'updated' and the feet didn't line up with the holes so I'm now awaiting a 'genuine' port.

Looking at the old port, the plastic tab and contacts were bent up due to incorrect insertion (not me, the previous owner)
    11-24-13 06:59 AM