04-20-13 01:27 PM
26 12
tools
    For anyone who has heard of the BlackBerry Music Gateway, I can say without a doubt that if you own a PlayBook, it's a must have piece of equipment. I am addicted to Slacker radio, most likely because I have been addicted to music since I was a kid, but this device is fantastic! I know some people complain they cannot get theirs to work with their PlayBook, and there are reviews that whine about the Gateway not supporting video too, but that's irrelevant. It is EXTREMELY easy to set up with a PlayBook, and solved my issue with needing a stereo setup. If you are an audiophile like I am, then this is something you don't want to miss. Let me put it into terms that are easier to understand: it will be WIRELESS. I know you can use a male 3.5 to male 3.5 to connect it to an mp3 jack and so on, but that is just a pain in the ***. This way, you set your Gateway up into whatever home theater setup you have, be it an mp3 jack on the speakers or through the amplifier, and that's it; it streams via bluetooth flawlessly. This is one of those times where BlackBerry was smarter than everyone else and made a product that was WAY ahead of its time. If anyone has issues setting theirs up, contact me and I'll walk you through it. It was worth every penny, and I am going to buy another to keep at the house permanently so I can use the other one for traveling. It also has NFC, and claims to support ANY bluetooth enabled phone or tablet, but asides from the new BB10 equipment, not many other BB devices have NFC (the newer Bold and Curve phones do), so that extra feature is only a bonus and really not a selling point for me. The box is TINY. It is about the size of two AAA batteries laid next to each other. Very easy to hide if you want to keep your setup inconspicuous, but the box is actually very nice to look at. I am insanely glad someone told me about it, so I thought I would do the same. In case anyone was wondering, it also streams any sound that emits from your PlayBook, be it movie, game, or stored music, you name it.
    03-29-13 09:56 AM
    Or like me use a Bluetooth speaker....works with Motorola DC800 at home connected to amp.
    03-29-13 10:48 AM
    Agreed the Music Gateway - have hooked it up through bluetooth to iPhone and Ipad as well as playbook - works great and allows full wireless access to my itunes music library....great purchase
    03-29-13 10:56 AM
    I own the music gateway and agree as well that it's very easy to set up, looks great and sounds just as good as a wired connection. Have it in my car and my Z10 automatically connects to it once I get in. Only complaint is that my PlayBook doesn't auto connect. Have to go to settings and connect manually.
    03-29-13 12:54 PM
    The preferable option is not to use the gateway. Music stops you hearing what's around you. Listen to the sounds of the world. They are more relevant. Listening to music is like having cartoons projected onto your eyeballs stopping you from seeing what's around you, except you know, on your ears.

Give it up guys. Just say no.
    Hiccup.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 01:06 PM
    The preferable option is not to use the gateway. Music stops you hearing what's around you. Listen to the sounds of the world. They are more relevant. Listening to music is like having cartoons projected onto your eyeballs stopping you from seeing what's around you, except you know, on your ears.

Hiccup.

Posted via CB10
    Have you ever listened to Brahms Clarinet Quintet? Mendelssohn's Octet? The American Quaret by Dvorak?
    purple_bb likes this.
    03-29-13 03:18 PM
    Couldn't agree more. The Blackberry Music Gateway is superb. It also uses very little power. I've powered mine using a solar panel/battery device for charging phones. I love sitting with my family and my Playbook taking requests using the BBMG connected to our living room stereo system. "Look Mom. No wires!" This summer I plan to hook it to my Pioneer Receiver with two zones and run music to my outside speakers while I sit outside with my Playbook enjoying the heat and a cold beverage.
    03-29-13 07:24 PM
    The BB music gateway is great for streaming music or movie audio from play books and other devices. I also have the new BB portable bluetooth speaker and it works flawlessly with the both my Z10 and PB. It's great for travel, then I use a bigger Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker at home.

And Slacker radio is a great app, it would be in my top 10 app list for sure. In fact, I'm trying to decide which subscriber level to get. $10/mnth to listen to full albums is what I'm leaning towards, to get music anytime, anywhere and support the company.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 08:50 PM

Hiccup.

Posted via CB10
    Have you ever listened to Brahms Clarinet Quintet? Mendelssohn's Octet? The American Quaret by Dvorak?
    Or the opening chords of Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of War Of The Worlds?
    03-30-13 04:44 AM
    The BB music gateway is great for streaming music or movie audio from play books and other devices. I also have the new BB portable bluetooth speaker and it works flawlessly with the both my Z10 and PB. It's great for travel, then I use a bigger Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker at home.

And Slacker radio is a great app, it would be in my top 10 app list for sure. In fact, I'm trying to decide which subscriber level to get. $10/mnth to listen to full albums is what I'm leaning towards, to get music anytime, anywhere and support the company.

Posted via CB10
    Try the "stereotube" app, it is awesome and will let you download and save music and videos. You can save as a playlist and add your own music to the playlist as well. Well worth the $2.00 on blackberry world.
    03-30-13 05:33 AM
    Where do you get one . I searched Best Buy, Future Shop, The Source and Staples in Canada. No luck.
    03-30-13 08:39 AM
    Crackberry Store
    03-30-13 08:53 AM
    If anyone has issues setting theirs up, contact me and I'll walk you through it..
    *#Putting Up Hand#*
    Yes, I am interested in this. I have a honking stereo in my living room which I have been not using very often because the remote is wacked and I dont feel like shelling out $$$ they are asking for a new remote - yes, I am lazy and dont want to walk up to the stereo to turn on, switch stations, media etc. The other issue is the living room is not too brightly lit so I cant really see the all the buttons that great but I ramble here so I will just ask:
    So is it correct to say/think that I could just hook this thing up to my reciever and if i want to turn on and play whatever from my playbook I can do that? My bro had my stereo set up for me from years back where it was all tied into the remote.. he is better than i at that stuff.
    Anyway, if this is how it would work I would be VERY interested in this item.
    I have all the media, radio stations etc I want on my playbook now and would prob dump more music on there if i could use this.
    My Home stereo system is a Sony - reciever and stuff.
    03-30-13 04:20 PM

Hiccup.

Posted via CB10
    what?

CB10 App, Z10
    03-30-13 04:37 PM
    Where do you get one . I searched Best Buy, Future Shop, The Source and Staples in Canada. No luck.
    Amazon. There is one on there right now new for 38.00 plus about 5 to ship. I have the older model, and love it. Use it all the time. Hook it up to my Bose and it sounds great.

http://www.amazon.com/BLACKBERRY-MUS...bUvbUpU8229003
    03-30-13 05:59 PM
    *#Putting Up Hand#*
    Yes, I am interested in this. I have a honking stereo in my living room which I have been not using very often because the remote is wacked and I dont feel like shelling out $$$ they are asking for a new remote - yes, I am lazy and dont want to walk up to the stereo to turn on, switch stations, media etc. The other issue is the living room is not too brightly lit so I cant really see the all the buttons that great but I ramble here so I will just ask:
    So is it correct to say/think that I could just hook this thing up to my reciever and if i want to turn on and play whatever from my playbook I can do that? My bro had my stereo set up for me from years back where it was all tied into the remote.. he is better than i at that stuff.
    Anyway, if this is how it would work I would be VERY interested in this item.
    I have all the media, radio stations etc I want on my playbook now and would prob dump more music on there if i could use this.
    My Home stereo system is a Sony - reciever and stuff.
    You plug the Gateway into an aux or other port on the back of the receiver. You'd still have to get up to power on the receiver. Then depending on the app on the pb, you would or would not have control of such things as bass/treble. Most pb apps do not have those types of controls.
    GV2012 likes this.
    03-30-13 06:12 PM
    How much is the cost of that tiny machine????? Planning to buy one.
    03-30-13 06:36 PM
    How much is the cost of that tiny machine????? Planning to buy one.
    Crackberry sells them and they have the Easter Sale going on now.
    03-30-13 08:35 PM
    Just wanted to ask the owners of the music gateway, does the bluetooth connection between the Playbook and Gateway stable?

Bluetooth connection between PB and my car's stereo head unit kept on disconnecting and reconnecting. With my iphone and car system, very stable.

TIA!

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 09:37 PM
    I have to say that my first generation of the BlackBerry gateway works great. I have used it with multiple devices and have had the same consistent result. never has the gateway let me down, I came from a 9800 to a Z10 and the connection is nothing but faster
    no dropping and no interferance, even from 40 feet away. ( fire pit to deck)

looking forward to the summer to put the new magic to the test.

CB10 App, Z10
    03-30-13 10:10 PM
    It really is an awesome device. I reviewed it on Amazon a while back although I bought it on shop crackberry.com

Here was my review :

I didn't buy mine on Amazon, however I have had the Gateway almost since it launched. It is just great. I never had the 1st gen one, but this one is well worth the money. So far I have used it on the following devices:BlackBerry Bold 9930, BlackBerry curves and Style, HTC Evo 4g LTE, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, ipad mini, iPod touch, various feature phones that support music playback, BlackBerry PlayBook, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and prob others that I'm not remembering now.It is a Phenomenal device. I use it in the car with a cassette adapter and at home on my 15 yr old stereo system. It works for native music and other apps like pandora. Also in the car works for announcing my turn-by-turn directions over my car stereo system while listening to music or without.Also to add, it has a built in NFC tag. Meaning that many devices will setup automatically by just holding the back of the phone to the top of it. I have tested this on BlackBerry phones that support NFC and my Evo LTE. It didn't work on the Evo running ICS, but after the Jelly Bean update it works as it should.Bottom line, if any of this sounds good to you I HIGHLY recommend this little gem. You will find new ways of using it the longer you own it.
    03-30-13 11:00 PM
    Have had the 1st generation Music Gateway since launch which could be in excess of 3 years. By far the most worth while BB accessory I have bought. Simply put, a great device. I have it plugged into my receiver's power which means it powers on the moment the receiver is turned on and immediately connects to my phone. Only draw back is the PB volume control does not work when connected to the Music Gateway where as it works with my 5 yr old BB phone. And this is why sometimes I am sooo mad at RIM.
    03-31-13 09:58 AM
    Have had the 1st generation Music Gateway since launch which could be in excess of 3 years. By far the most worth while BB accessory I have bought. Simply put, a great device. I have it plugged into my receiver's power which means it powers on the moment the receiver is turned on and immediately connects to my phone. Only draw back is the PB volume control does not work when connected to the Music Gateway where as it works with my 5 yr old BB phone. And this is why sometimes I am sooo mad at RIM.
    How odd. It works with mine. But I have the most recent Gateway. The one thing that never worked as far as volume control was Pandora on my 9930 or my only Curve. Never could figure it out. But it will control it on my PlayBook.
    03-31-13 10:06 AM
    How odd. It works with mine. But I have the most recent Gateway. The one thing that never worked as far as volume control was Pandora on my 9930 or my only Curve. Never could figure it out. But it will control it on my PlayBook.
    It is odd. Even spoke with the then RIM tech support who said it would probably be fixed with the next software update. I believe there were two software updates after OS 2 but it was never fixed. Grrrrrrrr.
    03-31-13 10:37 AM
    It is odd. Even spoke with the then RIM tech support who said it would probably be fixed with the next software update. I believe there were two software updates after OS 2 but it was never fixed. Grrrrrrrr.
    I have the first gateway also, and my volume control does not work as well using the playbook to control the volume. Probably addressed in the second series, but is not enough of an issue for me to purchase the newer model.
    03-31-13 07:27 PM
26 12