Hi

I have just bought a second playbook as there was a sale online in the uk with the 64gb for �129,i bought my orig 16gb when they first came out for 3 times that :-(((.
    As my blackberry id and e mail account is linked to the 16gb and i want to use the 64gb and give the 16gb to my good wife,how do i go about using my id on 2 playbooks.Can you use dm to switch devices like on a bb phone so my wifes bb id could be used with the 16gb as mine will then be in use on the 64gb.
    Any body had any experiences of this situation??

Cheers Highlander

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 02:19 PM
    You can register the 2nd pb with the same bbid (email/password) and then they can share apps. You can back them up separately.

The main issue with ONE bbid, is that you can probably NOT video chat. Although there is supposedly the PIN chat function, we don't hear about much success if the bbid is the same.
    My nephew is getting a PB for his Birthday this week & I suggested to share BBID's.

Thanks for the info F2.I'll just get him some apps and he's own I'd so we can video chat.
    08-24-12 04:23 PM
    You can register the 2nd pb with the same bbid (email/password) and then they can share apps. You can back them up separately.

The main issue with ONE bbid, is that you can probably NOT video chat. Although there is supposedly the PIN chat function, we don't hear about much success if the bbid is the same.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    08-24-12 04:25 PM
    You can use the same bbid on both playbooks without issue. App World will ask to re-associate your playbook when you go to install a new app on the playbook that not currently tied to app for world (from the last app you installed).

The only issue is video chat.. You'll lose the capability to talk to each other. For that you'll have to have unique and separate bbids.

So there's advantages and disadvantages to which way you want go. It's really what's most important to you - video chat or sharing the apps.
    08-24-12 04:26 PM

08-24-12 04:26 PM

Beat me to it..

By a minute no less..
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 08-24-12 at 04:29 PM.
    08-24-12 04:27 PM
    thanks for the replies folks,how do i sever any link with my bbid from the 16gb so my wife can use it with her bbid and not have issues signing onto it,i take it all the apps i have put on it will work for and i can reinstall from my app work once on the 64gb,

thanks Highlander

08-24-12 05:23 PM
    How the devil did I respond to a post of F2's before he posted it haha...head scratching moment.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-24-12 05:32 PM
    I setup two PB's and installed the apps THEN created a new BBID for the second device so I could video chat with the two.
    They did away with the need to security wipe to change IDs, so its really nice swapping IDs as needed.
    08-24-12 05:32 PM
    so if i do a back up of my current 16gb pb,can i restore that on the new 32gb so all my games and apps will be on it and then set up my blackberry id on it.What would i do with the 16gb to allow my wife to use her blackberry id on it,would i have to wipe it,or could she just change it to hers,if she changed it to hers would the apps that i put on it still work??.

Highlander

08-25-12 01:11 PM
    so if i do a back up of my current 16gb pb,can i restore that on the new 32gb so all my games and apps will be on it and then set up my blackberry id on it.
    Yes

What would i do with the 16gb to allow my wife to use her blackberry id on it,would i have to wipe it,or could she just change it to hers,if she changed it to hers would the apps that i put on it still work??.
    Depends. If she kept your BBID on the 16GB, you'd both keep access to all the Apps (Apps are "bought" by a BBID, not by a specific PB PIN, that's why they can be shared). If you wiped it, and put her BBID on, your existing apps are gone (you wiped them!) and won't be available to re-install from AppWorld because they were bought by a different BBID.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-25-12 at 01:27 PM.
    08-25-12 01:24 PM
    if i don't wipe the 16gb and let my wife have it,is it possible to register her blackberry id on it,if it was would the apps i put on it stay on it and she could use them and add to them using her blackberry id,
    aslong as i restore the back up from the 16gb onto the 32gb and put my blackberry id on the 32gb,once she puts her id on the 16gb my apps will still work on the 32gb no matter what happens to them on the 16gb hahahaha abit confusing i know.

Highlander

08-25-12 02:34 PM
    if i don't wipe the 16gb and let my wife have it,is it possible to register her blackberry id on it,if it was would the apps i put on it stay on it and she could use them and add to them using her blackberry id,
    aslong as i restore the back up from the 16gb onto the 32gb and put my blackberry id on the 32gb,once she puts her id on the 16gb my apps will still work on the 32gb no matter what happens to them on the 16gb hahahaha abit confusing i know.

Highlander

According to RIM (see link below) you can't change the BBID on a PB without first doing a wipe (so none of your apps would be retained). By the time your wife had finished setting up the PB with her BBID, she'd have an "empty" PB (no apps).

And RIM also says that you can't restore a PB backup to a PB with a different BBID. So make sure that you set-up your new 32GB PB with the same BBID that's on your existing 16GB PB.

KB26694-How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

I'm afraid there's no way around it.

You can share apps with multiple (up to 5!) PBs (with same BBID on each PB) or you can video chat between PBs that have different BBID. It's either/or not both.

You and the wife can have both PB's with the same BBID - and be able to buy Apps once (on either PB) and they'll be available to both of you. (The app appears in the uninstalled tab in AppWorld of the PB that didn't buy the app)... but you'll never be able to video chat with that setup.

And, if I've understood your concern, each PB sharing a BBID can fully use the shared apps - even simultaneously - you don't have to choose a PB for the App to be active on (or uninstall it from the other PB). As I mentioned above, Apps are sold to a BBID not to a specific PB, and so both PBs sharing a BBID have equal and unrestricted rights to use the Apps... and if your wife chose to uninstall an app from her PB, it wouldn't affect your PB's use of that app (in would stay installed on yours)... and if she changed her mind, she could re-install the app on her PB by hitting the "reinstall" button in the AppWorld uninstalled tab.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-25-12 at 03:28 PM.
    08-25-12 02:57 PM
    How many paid apps are at stack? Does your wife want all of them? Chances are she doesn't but would prefer to be able to video chat with you. You may be obsessing for nothing over $20 of apps you like but she doesn't need.
    08-25-12 03:50 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys,it's not the cost of the apps just the pain in the arse if i set the same id on both and then it became a problem and had to undo it,just wanted to see the options.Have had problems with id's in the past when changing devices and not being allowed into app world because of it for awhile ie id active on 2 bb's.
    Ok will weigh up the pro's and con's and decide.

Highlander

08-25-12 04:11 PM
    Just for the memories: happen to have 3 64s at my house right now. Oh yeah, Office Depot has 'em for $200! (If it had been Best Bxx, doubtful that I would have sprung for a new pair.)

With all three having separate BBIDs, things go about as you would expect for Video Chat.

Then I did the security wipe thingy on one and assigned 2 to have the same BBIDs. When I called from the odd man out to each separately (the 2 having the same BBIDs) using their PINS, they answered as expected.

Yeah, but what happened when I call using their email-based BBIDs ? Ha ! BOTH ring, but I can connect to only one - the other gives a "Call Failed" message. Wow ! Totally Fascinating ! Doc Neutron
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-25-12 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD