Apple claims to have corrected the problem with their supplier, but recent news runs contrary. RIM produces in countries with labor laws. 'nuff?
    Oldie, but goodie:

Do You Know Who Manufactured Your Blackberry? - Forbes

LOL.
    08-11-12 09:13 PM
    I believe the numbers you are quoting include the Galaxy Note, which is technically more of a supersized smart phone than a real iPad/PB competitor. When you look at just the results for Samsung's true (i.e. 7" and above) tablets you see the more representative 1.4 million figure.

Of course, we can split hairs all day long, but the fact remains that - viewed in light of these latest revelations - the PB's market performance doesn't look so bad. It's certainly not the complete flop that many have claimed it to be, and the new 4G model is scoring some high profile media wins that should translate into renewed interest.

Bottom Line: Things could be a lot worse.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Don't think that's the case. The Galaxy Tab sales figures are a combined number for the original 7 inch Tab, the 10.1 Tab and the LTE version (Samsung tablet sales: Teeny tiny next to iPad | Apple - CNET News)

The Galaxy Note however has already sold 7 million worldwide:
    Samsung sells 7 million Galaxy Notes, over 50 million Galaxy S and S II devices | The Verge

Samsung is apparently hoping to hit 10 mill by the end of the year, with the Note II expected to debut in September/October.
    08-11-12 10:30 PM
    Apple claims to have corrected the problem with their supplier, but recent news runs contrary. RIM produces in countries with labor laws. 'nuff?
    Yes. And the USA Olympic Teams uniforms were made in countries with labor laws.
    08-11-12 11:25 PM
    Seems like the Galaxy Note form factor is a very popular thing around the world. I think though that the 7 inch Android tablets are actually doing well too, certainly better than their 10 inch counterparts, probably because they have the Ipad for competition at that size. The smaller size and BlackBerry name are actually rather good draws for the Playbook, so I don't see it surprising that it's doing better.
    08-11-12 11:42 PM
    RIM produces in countries with labor laws. 'nuff?
    China has labor laws too... Reinforcing them or not, is a different story.
    Jaeger63 likes this.
    08-11-12 11:51 PM
    If you are interested in where the components for your favorite device come from, just check the teardowns. Here is one for tablets - a bit older, but you get the idea:

RIM BlackBerry Playbook Teardown and Product Analysis | OMAP4430, Die Markings, Die & Diffusion Photos

Then, if you are still interested, check who manufactures each component and then check for country of manufacture and assembly.

Check the chart comparing the Playbook and iPad.

Interesting reading.
    08-12-12 07:24 AM
    The only reason I do not rock my playbook in the public because of robbery of devices alert in the city of Toronto. The only time I do that is when I'm at the beach sunning over the island. The size is perfect and not overly clunky like the bigger tablet. The Ballistic jacket for the playbook also made it really secure during transport.
    08-12-12 07:58 AM
    I've started taking mine to the public pool so I can read some news. And let people see that they are not alone
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    08-12-12 09:15 AM
    Just bought my 16GB PB for $174.99 and absolutely love it.

Definitely buying the 4G PB to take advantage of the bump in processing power, but I'm going to wait until it comes loaded with BB10.

The Playbook is, IMO, simply excellent. That said, its still outside of the typical iPad consumer market. I say that because to fully exploit the PB's potential you certainly have to do a fair bit of side-loading to enrich your app experience. When I think about the iPad users I know, the chances of them side-loading anything is 0%. Either because they don't know how or don't want to. And that's fine. A user shouldn't have to side-load to maximize their product. It should be maximized out of the box.

I am confident OS 2.1 and ultimately, BB10, will make this little guy a beast right out of the gate. But for those who don't mind a little tech tweaking, then the PB for $174.99 is just a stupid good deal. Dollar for dollar, the best money I have ever spent on technology.

Go RIM!
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    08-12-12 09:38 AM
    When will Apple, Google and the rest of the crowd set up their own secure servers (and in Googles's case, without data mining) and vet their apps with constant diligence in order to prevent apps with a dual purpose?
    Getting back to hardware, Apple said they would take responsibility, and we see how far that went. Remember, St. Steve was ruthless, is that what you're looking for?
    Tough, yes, ruthless, you're call.
    Last edited by tonyrenier; 08-12-12 at 10:04 AM.
    08-12-12 10:00 AM
    When will Apple, Google and the rest of the crowd set up their own secure servers (and in Googles's case, without data mining) and vet their apps with constant diligence in order to prevent apps with a dual purpose?
    Getting back to hardware, Apple said they would take responsibility, and we see how far that went. Remember, St. Steve was ruthless, is that what you're looking for?
    Tough, yes, ruthless, you're call.
    Why do you think RIM (and every other tech company) kept quiet when Apple - rightfully so - was getting heat? Don't you think it would be the perfect time to get some moral high ground?

LOL. They ain't stupid.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-12-12 12:48 PM
    It is strange how this thread has dramatically changed from volume of sales to labor geopolitics and other un-related matters. What this leads me think, we have not much to talk about.
    08-12-12 01:43 PM
    It is strange how this thread has dramatically changed from volume of sales to labor geopolitics and other un-related matters. What this leads me think, we have not much to talk about.
    agreed, lets try to get back on topic now
    08-12-12 01:56 PM
    I'm beginning to see more of PlayBooks every where I go.. Everytime someone sees my PlayBook, their first reaction is to purchase it but they are just afraid of taking the plunge because of negative attitude towards BlackBerry in general.
    RIM probably killed all those cheap tablet proudcts
    08-12-12 02:07 PM
    The palybook swims circles around any tablet samsung has to offer, in fact the playbook is better than most if not all android tablets around if you count out the apps. RIM just has to market their products better.
    08-12-12 09:30 PM
    The palybook swims circles around any tablet samsung has to offer, in fact the playbook is better than most if not all android tablets around if you count out the apps. RIM just has to market their products better.
    Yep... it's the best tablet ever. All it needs is marketing.

Let's forget that it didn't even sell well with RIM diehards while we write fiction.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Last edited by trelawrence; 08-12-12 at 11:36 PM.
    08-12-12 09:33 PM
    Yep... it's the best tablet ever. All it needs is marketing.

Let's forget that it didn't even sell well with RIM diehards while we write fiction.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

umm not sure what you mean there because I dont see 1.5 million tablets sold as not doing well. sure the kindle fire and ipad sell tons but compared to most other androids it outsells and outperforms them, sorry you disagree

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 09:56 PM
    umm not sure what you mean there because I dont see 1.5 million tablets sold as not doing well. sure the kindle fire and ipad sell tons but compared to most other androids it outsells and outperforms them, sorry you disagree

I think my tone sounded needlessly harsh. Forgive that.

The problem (as I see it) is that RIM had to drop prices significantly to move units. I also believe the PB outperformed its contemporaries in the hardware department, but I think RIM gravely underestimated the importance of a deep ecosystem (and/or overestimated the efficacy of the Android Player).

Samsung isn't really blowing up tablet sales records, but hey don't necessarily have to to do well overall. They have less to lose.
    08-13-12 10:08 PM

The problem (as I see it) is that RIM had to drop prices significantly to move units. I also believe the PB outperformed its contemporaries in the hardware department, but I think RIM gravely underestimated the importance of a deep ecosystem (and/or overestimated the efficacy of the Android Player).

Samsung isn't really blowing up tablet sales records, but hey don't necessarily have to to do well overall. They have less to lose.

no problem,
    while I agree with you when you said the #'s aren't necessary to do well the playbook originally had 2 agendas when it was released. Of course it was to generate some revenue but it was also to get rims future os out the door for developers. rim did not gravely underestimate the importance of an ecosystem, they were trying to help build one for bb 10, which was their main priority all along, so in this case numbers really do matter. they drooped prices to move inventory AND to get the devices into the hands of consumers to encourage developers.

08-13-12 10:44 PM
    Ya, and china would have got the most Olympic medals if it weren't for the USA...
    Betamax would be the best video storage medium ever if it weren't for lack if titles and support...
    McDonald's would be the healthiest food on earth if it weren't for all the fat...

See where I'm going with this?
    08-13-12 10:55 PM
    Ya, and china would have got the most Olympic medals if it weren't for the USA...
    Betamax would be the best video storage medium ever if it weren't for lack if titles and support...
    McDonald's would be the healthiest food on earth if it weren't for all the fat...

See where I'm going with this?
    Ha! Ya man I get it what you mean, not sure if you got what i ment. Bottom line is pb schools a load of tablets

Lol usa>china
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 08-13-12 at 11:03 PM.
    08-13-12 11:01 PM

The kindle fire is the other "big" seller --- which was sold at a loss since the beginning. Although, Amazon doesn't tell you how many units they sold.

The bottom line is that you can only trust Apple, RIM and Motorola for their sales (more accurately shipped) numbers --- because they are the only companies listed in the US and are governed by SEC rules.

When Samsung, LG, HTC, Lenovo tell you how many units they sell --- you can ignore those numbers.
    Last edited by samab; 08-13-12 at 11:29 PM.
    08-13-12 11:27 PM
    The kindle fire is the other "big" seller --- which was sold at a loss since the beginning. Although, Amazon doesn't tell you how many units they sold.

The bottom line is that you can only trust Apple, RIM and Motorola for their sales (more accurately shipped) numbers --- because they are the only companies listed in the US and are governed by SEC rules.

When Samsung, LG, HTC, Lenovo tell you how many units they sell --- you can ignore those numbers.

ya but the kindle makes up for its hardware lose with the amount of money it generates from all the media it sells.

08-13-12 11:38 PM

Why doesn't Amazon follow those rules?
    08-13-12 11:53 PM
    ya but the kindle makes up for its hardware lose with the amount of money it generates from all the media it sells.

How would you know? It's all guess work by wall street analysts.

Why doesn't Amazon follow those rules?
    Amazon doesn't have to say anything about the Kindle because it is a rounding error in their overall revenue. Apple doesn't have to say how many wifi routers they sell --- it's a rounding error.

But for Amazon --- if they say anything at all (even unofficially via their PR people), they better be accurate because they are listed in the US and are governed by SEC rules.

But for Samsung, LG, HTC, and Lenovo --- their PR people will say anything and they won't be nailed by their country's laws.

Sure we have all seen how useless the SEC has been with the whole wall street fiasco --- but the American regulatory body is still a million times better than other jurisdictions.
    Last edited by samab; 08-14-12 at 01:30 AM.
    Hawnz likes this.
    08-14-12 01:18 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD