Perspective: The PB has sold about 1.5MM units...interesting...

More Secrets Revealed: Galaxy Tab's uninspiring US sales numbers.
    08-10-12 10:44 PM
    Yes I saw that mentioned in a couple articles today.....hope it's true
    08-10-12 10:54 PM
    That wouldn't surprise me at all. Heck, I suspect B&N sold way more Nook Colors than Samsung has sold tablets. I think RIM moved a fair amount of Playbooks in the last year.

Now asking who has been more profitable selling tablets is a different story.
    thedark722 likes this.
    08-10-12 10:56 PM
    The only people who would or should care about this are shareholders.
    If you own RIM or Samsung stocks, sell, then, buy Apple stocks.

There is no pride for either PB or Galaxy tablet owners to have low selling products compared to Apple products.

Apple is laughing all the way to the bank with all their cash in the wheelbarrow.
    RIM is crying waiting for the well to dry up.
    I don't know the Samsung cash position.
    Last edited by mandony; 08-10-12 at 11:05 PM.
    08-10-12 11:00 PM
    Samsung is doing exceptionally well as of recent. The only company really even scratching at Apple is Sammy... just not with tablets LOL.
    thedark722 likes this.
    08-10-12 11:10 PM
    of course there is pride...granted, we are no where near where apple is in terms of moving product, they are it, but beating a giant like samsung says something. Everybody out there has counted the playbook out, these numbers say that things aren't as bad as everybody makes them out to be. If these numbers mean that we are #2 to apple, who pretty much created the tablet market as it is today, I'll take it. And while samsung may have grabbed a better ebitda contribution from its tablets, this means a whole lot more to current pb users than it does to shareholders. More tablets, means more buyers, and that is essentially what we need in order to grab the attention of the big app dev houses, to get the bigger apps, which enhances the pb's UX and makes pb owners happier. to shareholders the comparison to samsung means nothing, specifically because the revenues/profits from those sales don't scale to number of units sold.

if we are ever number one (huge Falcor-wishing if), it won't be for years to come, so being number two (if that is what beating samsung means) aint too shabby...that means we're the best of the companies that didn't start this whole tablet thing...I'll take that.....for now...
    08-10-12 11:15 PM
    They wouldnt be number 2. Asus, B&N and Amazon would have better sales still I would guess off the top of my head. Its hard to say though because we have shipped vs actual sales floating around for everyone. I seem to remember Samsung reporting 2.3 million tablets "sold" which according to these docs would be "shipped"
    08-10-12 11:21 PM
    The playbook is far far superior to Samsung. RIM doesn't do proper marketing
    TheScionicMan and Bobert_123 like this.
    08-10-12 11:26 PM
    Perspective: The PB has sold about 1.5MM units...interesting...

More Secrets Revealed: Galaxy Tab's uninspiring US sales numbers.
    Did you not read the article? Samsung sold 1 million the first quarter they introduced the Galaxy Tab. They sold like 600,000 of them in the first 2 weeks or something if I remember. Since then, they've sold more, as in 2.3 million in the last quarter alone.

http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2...7-44-16-am.png

In the first 2 quarters of Playbook sales, they sold 200,000 units. It wasn't until September 2011, when they dropped the price to $199, that they started selling.
    08-10-12 11:54 PM
    Did you not read the article? Samsung sold 1 million the first quarter they introduced the Galaxy Tab. They sold like 600,000 of them in the first 2 weeks or something if I remember. Since then, they've sold more, as in 2.3 million in the last quarter alone.

http://gigaom2.files.wordpress.com/2...7-44-16-am.png

In the first 2 quarters of Playbook sales, they sold 200,000 units. It wasn't until September 2011, when they dropped the price to $199, that they started selling.
    Did you read the court documents?

(1) those samsung numbers you mentioned were shipped numbers --- which Lenovo outright said Samsung was lying (and that Samsung only sold 20000 out of that million tablet shipment).

Samsung Galaxy Tab sold just 20,000 out of 1m shipped, claims rival | Technology | guardian.co.uk

(2) the 1.4 million total Samsung tablets sold numbers in the court document is for US only --- so Samsung still sold more tablets than RIM (which is worldwide number).
    08-11-12 12:09 AM
    I believe the numbers you are quoting include the Galaxy Note, which is technically more of a supersized smart phone than a real iPad/PB competitor. When you look at just the results for Samsung's true (i.e. 7" and above) tablets you see the more representative 1.4 million figure.

Of course, we can split hairs all day long, but the fact remains that - viewed in light of these latest revelations - the PB's market performance doesn't look so bad. It's certainly not the complete flop that many have claimed it to be, and the new 4G model is scoring some high profile media wins that should translate into renewed interest.

Bottom Line: Things could be a lot worse.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-11-12 12:15 AM
    I'm beginning to see more of PlayBooks every where I go.. Everytime someone sees my PlayBook, their first reaction is to purchase it but they are just afraid of taking the plunge because of negative attitude towards BlackBerry in general.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    08-11-12 12:55 AM
    of course there is pride...granted, we are no where near where apple is in terms of moving product
    What do you mean "we," Kemosabe?
    08-11-12 01:06 AM
    I'm also seeing more PB's in the wild. I went to get my computer migrated for work the other day and the tech guy who was surrounded by Apple toys saw me playing with my PB and told me they were a solid little tablet and he bought 6 for family members when they were initially discounted.

Of course I see more in captivity as every member of my family except my 12 year old niece has one (the only iPadder of the lot)

I even got my 72 year old mom one for mother's day. She learned how to use it in about a week and has since very quickly transitioned from a regular cell phone to a Torch 9810. I have created another addict. My life is so much simpler now that she has BBM. Now it's so much easier for her to send me pictures of whatever electronic device in the house she's broken so I can tell her how to fix it. She never did figure out how to do that on a regular phone after 3 years.

Anyway, any sales figures that demonstrate that the PB is doing about par with most things that are not iPads makes me feel a lot better. Everyone in the press has to point out what a failure it is and always they seem to only compare it to iPads to demonstrate what a failure it is. Misery loves company. When compared to the sales of the iPad, pretty much everyone else is miserable too.
    08-11-12 01:28 AM
    The only people who would or should care about this are shareholders.
    If you own RIM or Samsung stocks, sell, then, buy Apple stocks.

There is no pride for either PB or Galaxy tablet owners to have low selling products compared to Apple products.

Apple is laughing all the way to the bank with all their cash in the wheelbarrow.
    RIM is crying waiting for the well to dry up.
    I don't know the Samsung cash position.
    Apple employs "near slave" labor despite their claims to the contrary. You celebrate this!
    Jaeger63 likes this.
    08-11-12 10:05 AM
    I'm beginning to see more of PlayBooks every where I go.. Everytime someone sees my PlayBook, their first reaction is to purchase it but they are just afraid of taking the plunge because of negative attitude towards BlackBerry in general.

I think this is more based on people thinking RIM doesn't make good phones in general. I'm pretty sure the constant talk about the app selection and ecosystems is what drives many potential buyers away from BlackBerry. Also it may not be as visible but the in store representatives for carriers and third party dealerships like Best Buy/Futureshop will only gear you towards a BlackBerry if you're dead set for it. If you're indecisive asking for their recommendation is probably the worst decision you've made that day
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 08-11-12 at 10:24 AM.
    08-11-12 10:22 AM
    Apple employs "near slave" labor despite their claims to the contrary. You celebrate this!
    Why do people bring this up. Almost all tablets are made by the same "near slave" labor. Most laptops too. It is not just Apple. If you read the article, they usually say 'Apple contractor' or 'Apple supplier' which does not mean it is the plant were Apple products are made.
    JeepBB, kevinnugent and Bla1ze like this.
    08-11-12 10:36 AM
    Why do people bring this up. Almost all tablets are made by the same "near slave" labor. Most laptops too. It is not just Apple. If you read the article, they usually say 'Apple contractor' or 'Apple supplier' which does not mean it is the plant were Apple products are made.
    ... And clothes.... Accessories.....why do u think even phones r as cheap as they r.

If these products were built in any western nation they would easily cost 5x as much. And that's a conservative estimate.
    Hawnz likes this.
    08-11-12 10:59 AM
    IPhone and iPads have mostly samsung parts in them so you have to count every apple purchase as a samsung win too.
    08-11-12 11:42 AM
    IPhone and iPads have mostly samsung parts in them so you have to count every apple purchase as a samsung win too.
    26% in Iphone, once I read.
    08-11-12 12:31 PM
    They're dropping Samsung now.
    08-11-12 12:47 PM
    Not if the other suppliers continue to fall short. Whether or not Apple and Samsung like it, they're in a pretty tight-knit relationship for the time being.
    08-11-12 12:53 PM
    Yea @ $200/mth per chinese laborer.
    08-11-12 02:14 PM
    Not if the other suppliers continue to fall short. Whether or not Apple and Samsung like it, they're in a pretty tight-knit relationship for the time being.
    Well Sharp, Japan Electronics Ltd. and one other company are shipping LCDs for the new iPhone. We'll see after the launch if Apple and Samsung will remain partners. Don't know much about who would take the lead in delivering the processor. They had been using a customized version of Samsung's processors.
    08-11-12 04:11 PM
    Apple claims to have corrected the problem with their supplier, but recent news runs contrary. RIM produces in countries with labor laws. 'nuff?
    08-11-12 09:03 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD