RIM is having some fun with AT&T over the BlackBerry Bridge feature on the BlackBerry PlayBook. AT&T is the only holdout carrier for BlackBerry Bridge and RIM blocks AT&T customers from downloading the Bridge app in App World. While others have already extracted the app and made it available to AT&T customers there are many who don�t trust other sources including enterprise customers. Turns out RIM feels their pain and made the BlackBerry Bridge desktop installation files available directly from RIM. You will need desktop manager on your computer to install this app using RIM�s download but it works like a charm.

The interesting part is that RIM says:
    AT&T BlackBerry users should contact AT&T for information regarding pricing for the BlackBerry Bridge feature.

I really hope RIM does not give AT&T a way to charge for the Bridge feature. Once they let that dam break all **** will break loose. You can pick up the install files at the bottom of the page at this link. Now if only RIM would simply let all customers download the Bridge application from App World.

Source: BR
    05-19-11 09:10 AM
    Still don't think that's going to satisfy companies that use AT&T for their Corp accts. AT&T still doesn't officially allow it so I'm guessing some IT depts still won't use it even though it's on RIMs website, well not until AT&T officially says one way or another.

The avg consumer who isn't tied to a BES or to a company with their PB will download and use it though with a little more comfort that it's from a legitimate source

AT&T is going to charge if anyway possible, Verizon will later follow suit.
    05-19-11 09:21 AM
    The problem with them charging for the Bridge is the they will effectively be charging for the use of email & contacts also. I wouldn't put it past them though. Another reason to deny the merger!!!
    05-19-11 09:29 AM
    That's pretty much is what it's going to be unless they disable the browsing part of the bridge. My gut tells me that the merger is going to go through I'm on AT&T now but I don't like the idea of going back to one big company to rule them all
    05-19-11 09:37 AM
    That link says the document is not currently available. I wonder why they yanked it?
    05-20-11 07:36 AM
    Its gone. Att sucks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 07:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD