So I, like a lot of people who use BlackBerry's Bridge function, was disappointed to see such limited functionality when I upgraded to my Z10 from a Torch 9810. I realise that it probably has a lot to do with the fact that BlackBerry is working on the PlayBook's upcoming OS 10 upgrade before updating and properly rolling-out a complete Bridge function, so the purpose of this post will be to gather some ideas from the Mobile Nations community of what we would like to see in the next version of (what was) such a powerful tool.

What would you like to see on the next version of Bridge for BB10 phones?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 10:09 AM
    My question to you, as I also have a 9810 and am wanting a Z10, is how is the Z10 working out for you as far as the bridge goes. I know that the only reason I bought my 9810 in the first place was for the bridge features. Now I am uncertain about the Z10. Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you!
    02-09-13 03:01 PM
    I would like to see all functionality returned such as sms and memos, but have them as part of their respective hubs. So if I wanted a memo I could go to BlackBerry Remember and choose to display those memos or if I want to send sms go through the hub.

Also it needs to be a two way street. Many times I have wanted my BlackBerry phone to use a document from my PlayBook.

Doubt we will see any rich integration though, this dependency on the cloud from all manufacturers is starting to get a little grating.

02-09-13 03:22 PM
    My question to you, as I also have a 9810 and am wanting a Z10, is how is the Z10 working out for you as far as the bridge goes. I know that the only reason I bought my 9810 in the first place was for the bridge features. Now I am uncertain about the Z10. Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you!
    The Z10 is fantastic, and the learning curve from physical qwerty to full touch is really short. Bridge right now doesn't support the full features that you would have been accustomed to, so I'm hoping that BlackBerry will introduce all the previous features and some new ones too once the PlayBook upgrade to BlackBerry 10 is made available. You will be able to share your Internet connection though which is lightening fast!

I would love to see more integration of BlackBerry ID as part of the Bridge services so that things like BBM, Calendar, etc. are automatically synced (like active sync email services - Hotmail, Gmail, etc.).

Another thing that I think would be useful would be to have the option to automatically sync your sound profiles over Bridge, so that if you step into a meeting or you activate bedside mode that all your Bridged devices would go silent, normal, etc.

02-09-13 10:52 PM
    What if they took a different approach with bridge for BB10, instead of trying to mimic individual functions of each app which need separate coding, just take the BBM screen share a step further and add input using the remote phone/tablet. The playbook already has touch sensitive screen so a system mirroring should work fine. This would also fit in with Thorstens 'desktop replacement' idea if the playbook or any touchscreen monitor could be used. This could work in much the same way as netmeeting where one device tries to take control, and on the source device you allow control.

On the windows platform, Lenovo showed off this touchscreen monitor at CES 2013 that comes in USB 3 or wireless versions and should be launching soon. Lenovo announces the ThinkVision LT1423p, a mobile touchscreen monitor with pen support (video)
    02-11-13 01:16 PM
    I'd be happy with just returning the old functions we were used too. Maybe add mms too......okay, and speaker phone.

Hoot
    02-11-13 01:28 PM
    I realise that it probably has a lot to do with the fact that BlackBerry is working on the PlayBook's upcoming OS 10 upgrade...
    Actually, I suspect that the currently stubbed version of Bridge has rather more to do with them being unable to make it see into the BB10 Hub ... and then not worrying much about it given the relative priorities of Z10 rollout vs PB compatibility.

It's notable that the BB website describing the original Bridge functionality didn't change to describe the post BB10 stubbed version until after many posts here highlighted the huge step backwards in usability.

I'd further suspect that most Bridge users would probably want back what they already had before asking for anything more. The original Bridge was fairly feature-rich - to the point where you could mostly leave the phone in your pocket and just use the PB.
    FF22 and dphjeff like this.
    02-11-13 03:59 PM
    Actually, I suspect that the currently stubbed version of Bridge has rather more to do with them being unable to make it see into the BB10 Hub ... and then not worrying much about it given the relative priorities of Z10 rollout vs PB compatibility.

It's notable that the BB website describing the original Bridge functionality didn't change to describe the post BB10 stubbed version until after many posts here highlighted the huge step backwards in usability.

I'd further suspect that most Bridge users would probably want back what they already had before asking for anything more. The original Bridge was fairly feature-rich - to the point where you could mostly leave the phone in your pocket and just use the PB.
    I don't fully recall as I was traveling and busy but there was some reference (maybe it is what you cite above) about the "great reasons" why Bridge is now different. That makes me fear that they have little intention of restoring the missing features. Since I don't have a phone upgrade for a while, I will not worry about the new phones and loss of features. But if when I do get around to upgrading and they have not restored Bridge to its original "greatness" I won't be rushing for another BB.

Ah, well, they are probably trying for new customers and don't give a whit about older ones (in both senses of OLDER!)
    dphjeff likes this.
    02-11-13 04:50 PM
    I wold like to see SMS be available on Blackberry Playbook
    04-11-13 04:20 PM