Oftentimes I use my phone on airplane mode aboard planes to sort emails along with organize my contacts/calendar. My question is this, if Bluetooth is disbled via airplane mode how would you be able to use the bridge component of the Playbook to be productive in air? My iPad still functions seamless when on a plane and when I turn it on when I finally land it synchronizes with exchange server updating all my stuff (contacts, emails, and calendar).

So everyone knows, most airlines I am aware of in the US, do not allow any device that transmits signals to be used during flight, hence airplane mode disabling Bluetooth.

Seems Blackberry may have not thought too much about execs zipping across the US in airplanes?

In any case, I am still going to buy one, just wanted to hear people's comments.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 04-16-11 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typos
    04-16-11 08:35 AM
    I thought there was a way to manually bridge the two devices, maybe through the micro usb connection. I hope so, I am in the same boat as you.
    04-16-11 08:48 AM
    I leave my Blackberry on all the time when I fly. I travel about 3 weeks a month and I have never turned my Blackberry off when on an airplane. I plan to keep doing he same thing and have my playbook bridge to my blackberry. Once it regains signal it will sync back up with all the changes I have made.

I do not see a problem. If you are worried about a call or voicemail getting through (which it happens once in a blue moon) turn your BB to vibrate.

Now I can put my BB in my backpack and store it away and keep my PB in my seat. I cannot wait. Luckily I am home the week my PB comes so I can get it ready!!!
    04-16-11 09:43 AM
    On my storm I do not have an airplane mode. I just have the option to turn off the antenna and Bluetooth separately. Same with my wife's bold from what I can remember.

I can't imagine Bluetooth is a problem. WiFi isn't a problem on a plane either.
    04-16-11 09:48 AM
    Wifi and bluetooth shouldn't be a problem on airlines anymore. Why do you think nowadays they offer wifi services on the plane, its not an issue. But if you want to play it safe, just turn off your carrier network and have wifi and bluetooth enable and you should be fine.

Like the travler above, I leave my phone on, completly on with all the networks and haven't encountered any problems. And I travel twice a week between LA and chicago

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 10:05 AM
    I leave my Blackberry on all the time when I fly. I travel about 3 weeks a month and I have never turned my Blackberry off when on an airplane. I plan to keep doing he same thing and have my playbook bridge to my blackberry. Once it regains signal it will sync back up with all the changes I have made.

I do not see a problem. If you are worried about a call or voicemail getting through (which it happens once in a blue moon) turn your BB to vibrate.

Now I can put my BB in my backpack and store it away and keep my PB in my seat. I cannot wait. Luckily I am home the week my PB comes so I can get it ready!!!
    Mobile phones on aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United States

To prevent disruption to the cell phone network from the effects of fast-moving cell phones at altitude (see discussion below), the FCC has banned the use of cell phones on all aircraft in flight. The FCC did, however, allocate spectra in the 450 MHz and 800 MHz frequency bands for use by equipment designed and tested as "safe for air-to-ground service" and these systems use widely separated ground stations. In the 450 MHz band co-channel assignments are at least 497 miles apart and in the 800 MHz band only specific sites were authorized by the FCC. The 450 MHz service is limited to "general aviation" users, in corporate jets mostly, while the 800 MHz spectrum can be used by airliners as well as for general aviation. The 450 MHz spectrum is named AGRAS while the 800 MHz service is under review following an auction of the spectrum in 2006.
    [edit] Regulations and practices

Mobile phones are portable electronic devices and, as such, are banned from use in civilian airplanes by the Federal Aviation Agency unless the operator of a commercial aircraft or pilot of a private aircraft determines that it could not cause interference to avionics in the aircraft.[16]

The FAA in 14 C.F.R � 91.21 bans the use of all portable electronic devices (with a few odd exceptions) for all flights operated by an airline or those flights under Instrument flight rules (IFR). It does allow that the airline (or for privately operated aircraft the pilot) can make an exception to this rule if the operator deems that device safe. This effectively gives the airline, or pilot, the final word as to what devices may be used aboard an aircraft as far as the FAA is concerned although the FCC restriction still applies.

Note that for aircraft operated by an airline the pilot is not considered the "operator" and cannot legally allow exceptions to the airline's restrictions although the pilot may dictate additional restrictions.

No U.S. airlines have approved the use of mobile phones while in flight.

The FAA in Advisory Circular 91.21-1A recommends that aircraft operators blanket ban all intentional transmitters and mentions specifically CB radios, remote control devices and cellular phones. While Advisory Circulars are not legally binding air carriers rarely ignore the official written advice from the FAA.

This Advisory Circular has since been superseded by AC 91.21.1B.[17]

Federal Avaiation Regulation (FAR) 91.21 states that the Pilot In Command of an aircraft that is NOT IFR, and NOT Part 121 (Commercial Air Carriers), can allow usage of "Portable Electronic Devices". However to take the attitude that "The FAA doesn't say I can't do it" is incorrect, particularly in the category of radiotelephone communications governed by the FCC. FCC regulations, and specifically Title 47 Part 22.925 (Oct 1, 2006 revision), states "Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When an aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off.".[18]

The use of cell phones aboard airborne planes is banned by the FCC in 47 C.F.R. � 22.925: "The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is prohibited by FCC rules.... The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations." This ban applies to phones that use the 800 MHz spectrum.[citation needed] Personal Communications Services (PCS) phones that use the 1900 MHz spectrum are governed under FCC 47CFR24 and their use in aircraft is not restricted by the FCC whether on the ground or in flight.
    04-16-11 10:10 AM
    Just turn off the flashing bluetooth lights on the BB and nobody will know You'll probably find on a lot of flights that the flight crew will be sitting up front with their Playbook too :P
    04-16-11 03:28 PM
    If there were an actual issue, you'd probably be required to surrender your phone before boarding.
    04-16-11 03:45 PM
    Cellphones are banned (by the airlines/pilots) because nobody wants passengers talking on their phones during flights. I've got hundreds of thousands of miles under my belt and haven't caused a crash with my data service yet. :-) On the flip side, it KILLS your battery because the phone is constantly searching for service. I generally leave it off until I'm over an urban area and let it pick up the emails I've missed so I can start browsing them the moment I hit the tarmac.
    04-16-11 04:30 PM
    The thought of cellphones being able to disrupt navigational devices is laughable. If that were the case, terrorists would be flyign with bags of cellphones rather than bombs.
    04-16-11 04:38 PM
    You'll probably find on a lot of flights that the flight crew will be sitting up front with their Playbook too :P
    I will be one of them

Just turn the cell radio off and you will avoid all of the FCC rules listed above
    04-16-11 05:38 PM
    I have left my cell phone on while on a plane for many many year, probably as long as I have had a cell phone which is about 20 years. I am not worried about the FCC Rule. My BB still by in my backpack under my seat or up top and I will be using my PB. Even now there are times when I will be responding to emails while on a flight and when I land they get sent or even sometimes they get sent while in the air depending on if I get a signal.

I think you are making a big deal about this which it is not in my mind.
    04-16-11 05:55 PM
    It actually can disturb communications but a handful of people won't do it. Communication systems on airplanes are surprisingly pretty basic and there's the possibility for interference. Chances are it won't though and the rules are in place more for safety (cell phones can become projectiles) than anything else though people can manipulate cell phones to purposely mess with radio communications.

I usually turn on my phone right after landing though even though that's the most dangerous part of flying haha.
    04-16-11 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD