I've had my Playbook for almost two weeks now. I've noticed a huge battery drain issue on my 9800 while bridged to my PB.

With bluetooth off, no bridge : about 5% discharge rate an hour
    With bluetooth on, bridged : about 20-25% discharge rate an hour, same usage, even with both devices on standby

I went to university for a 3 hour class, with a fully charged 9800, and my phone died on the way home, less than 4 hours after I left, that's when I noticed the drain issue as my phone always sits in it'S charging pod at home. I've done other tests since and it drains the battery while both devices on wifi and the 9800 with full 3g signal. PB's battery life is great, can run more than it needs to, it's just the phone issue.

Has anyone else experienced that? Bridging is great, but I can only afford to do it while the phone sits nicely in it's charging pod or I find myself without a phone for the day... I tried unpairing the 9800 and PB in Poynt, don't know if it will help but it's the only thing I can think of. Also, my 9800 runs on .600, will try installing .666

If anybody had such a battery drain and resolved it, any help would be appreciated. Apart from the battery issue, bridge works great, never disconnected or locked up yet, and browsing is fast.
    09-27-11 03:00 AM
    I keep my PB and 9650 bridged all the time. I have bluetooth and wifi always enabled on both. My battery life on both devices is excellent. I run Poynt on my Playbook, but not on my phone. I'm curious of results if you unpair Point vs paired since I've been thinking of using Poynt on my phone paired to my PB.
    09-27-11 03:12 AM
    I haven't noticed any real battery drain with my 9780, I still easily get 2 days.
    09-27-11 08:26 AM
    Wow do you guys do nothing with your playbook? If I'm paired and doing nothing my tour battery last all day. Now when I surf etc. for 20 to 30 minutes an hour every hour then I have to charge my phone after about 5 or 6 hours on the other hand my playbook will have 30% or so left.

When you actually use the playbook bridged of course your phones battery is going to faster as you are using its connection.
    09-27-11 10:08 AM
    I've experienced the same power drain as you. I first noticed when I separated my Torch from the PlayBook by about 7m and two walls. My phone battery was draining pretty bad. I assumed both Bluetooth radios were forced to work extra hard to communicate, then I realized that my PB was on standby and should not be broadcasting at all. Is the problem with the bridge app on the phone, does it continue to search for the PB while it is on standby?

Shutting the Bluetooth off on my phone returned me to my normal battery usage. I do have Poynt paired between my devices.
    09-27-11 11:21 AM
    I am in the same boat with a 9780... I leave the bridge disabled when not using it otherwise it kills my phone... As it is I am lucky yo be able to get a fully day out of PB while moderate use...

Derek.
    09-27-11 12:54 PM
    I unpaired Poynt between my 9800 and my PB then updated my 9800 to .666 about an hour later. While bridged, I've noticed a 10% discharge rate an hour on my 9800 while using my bridged PB which is great. I think it might be Poynt as I didn't have the battery drain problem during the first days of use... before I paired it with Poynt.
    09-27-11 04:35 PM
    I'm having the same issues with bridge on my 9800. I'm running 706 on ATT, and when bridge is installed, even if disabled on the pb, i'm draining at 15-20%. I believe I saw a post somewhere that anything over 600 was having battery issues, but I havent been able to find that post again.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet (i.e. downgrade).
    12-30-11 01:38 PM
    My 9800 is bridged to my PB all the time. I haven't noticed an excessive drain with either.
    12-30-11 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD