Hey. Since i just traded my Droid Bionic for a BB 9930 and a BB 9650 (as a backup) im thinking about buying a Playbook.
    The only tablet ive owned was a HP Touchpad and it was HORRIABLE!!!!
    Very slow, really heavy, and kinda too big

- How are the speeds with BB tethered to the playbook?
    Maybe like wifi?

- Can I keep the PB thethered to the BB most of the time? Like if Im at school ill use the PB for internet and notes, etc.

- Can I txt/MMS/BBM from the playbook if it is paired to one of my Blackberrys?

- Can I access pictures/media files from my BB and view them via the PB?

- Can i take voice calls via the playbook useing an inline mic headphone set (apple/blackberry branded)??

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by sx4dude2013; 10-21-11 at 12:31 PM.
    10-21-11 12:19 PM
    Maybe like wifi?
    Definitely not wifi but as fast as your BB renders a website only your getting the entire site and not the mobile site.
    - Can I keep the PB thethered to the BB most of the time? Like if Im at school ill use the PB for internet and notes, etc.
    So far(I've only had it 3 days) I keep it bridged 24/7
    I don't think you can txt, but you are supposed to be able to BBM but for some reason mine doesn't. Not sure why, think I have a beta BBM since I got this hybrid running on my phone, guessing that the reason I can't.
    Last edited by BBPower; 10-21-11 at 12:51 PM.
    10-21-11 12:49 PM
    Maybe like wifi?
    Definitely not wifi but as fast as your BB renders a website only your getting the entire site and not the mobile site.
    So far(I've only had it 3 days) I keep it bridged 24/7
    I don't think you can txt, but you are supposed to be able to BBM but for some reason mine doesn't. Not sure why, think I have a beta BBM since I got this hybrid running on my phone, guessing that the reason I can't.
    Oh....so its only as fast as my BB will render an internet page?
    So Is not a hardware thing?
    Example: My BB 9930 and Bionic use the same 3G connection, but my Bionic is extremley faster (1gb ram maybe)?
    I thought since the PB is a tablet is would render sites faster than the BB, But if its only mirroring the image to the PB then I guess not. lol
    Thanks!!!!
    10-21-11 12:56 PM
    Tethering and bridging are not the same thing. The bridged browser works pretty well. The data comes at 3g speed so it's not like wifi. I keep my PB bridged to my Bold 24/7. Bbming only at this point. Yes, you can access your BB pics on your PB and save them to it as well. Btw, bridging is free. Tethering usually isn't.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 10-21-11 at 01:00 PM.
    10-21-11 12:57 PM
    Its not tethered (you pay for this) it's bridged (you don't pay for extra data plan ). As said, it depends of your phone connection type, but if your phone can wifi, the PB uses it, with BT speed limitations.

- Can I keep the PB thethered bridged to the BB most of the time? Like if Im at school ill use the PB for internet and notes, etc.
    YES YOU CAN!

txt/mms :not yet. email/bbm yes

- Can I access pictures/media files from my BB and view them via the PB?
    yes but somehow not perfect yet. copy first is best.
    - Can i take voice calls via the playbook useing an inline mic headphone set (apple/blackberry branded)??
    no, waiting for proper BT audio support, soon to come

Thanks!!
    You're welcome
    10-21-11 01:00 PM
    There's a difference between "tethering" and the Bridge.

Tethered, you're connected directly to the Internet. Frequently, carriers view this traffic differently from phone data; it's like you're using your phone as a data modem for the PB. I know MY provider does not allow this.

OTOH, there's the "Bridge Browser", and the way IT works is, it kind of makes the PB a remote for your phone. You tell it what pages you want, the PHONE retrieves those pages, and sends them back to your PB for rendering. Most carriers allow this, because on the network it just looks like the phone is the active device; whatever is allowed for mobile browsing will be allowed on your PB.

The downside is that I've always found Bridge Browser to be considerably slower than a good broadband connection over WiFi, but that will depend on your phone, your provider's network, etc.

No, you can't take calls through the PB, but in a way it doesn't matter. When you get a call on your phone, you DO get caller ID on the PB, with an "answer" button. If you've got a BT headset paired with your phone you can then answer the call.

Yes, you can view pic from your phone over the Bridge. Or any other document, for that matter.

Hope this helps. I know it's a bit disorganized.
    10-21-11 01:02 PM
    Great comments!!!
    Thanks so much!
    I understand it now!
    10-21-11 01:27 PM
    Look, you cannot "get" the freakin' awesomeness unless you have had time to feel the power in your own hands. Just get it from a place with a good return policy, spend a few days playing with it and if by chance you don't think it's for you, return it.

For me, having one without the other is like peanut butter without the jelly. It's a relationship thing!
    10-21-11 01:50 PM
    Tethering and bridging are not the same thing. The bridged browser works pretty well. The data comes at 3g speed so it's not like wifi. I keep my PB bridged to my Bold 24/7. Bbming only at this point. Yes, you can access your BB pics on your PB and save them to it as well. Btw, bridging is free. Tethering usually isn't.
    If your BB gets 4g, I believe you will see 4g speeds via bridge. 4g isn't quite WiFi, but it isn't too far off.
    10-21-11 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD