Why does BB Balance show up on some PB 2.0 devices and not others?

I have had co-workers secure wipe their PB's and reload OS 2.0 to find the BB Balance doesn't even prompt them to set a password; its not even in their config/setup menu. My PB device has prompted me even after I secured wiped it.

So I can't figure out what the trigger is to getting it work?

A.
    03-01-12 01:43 PM
    If you are connecting into a work account that on their side they have that security enabled, you have to setup a password for Balance
    03-01-12 01:49 PM
    Balance is part of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and is controlled from the admin side. It's designed to keep your work and personal data separate so, among other things, IT can wipe your device remotely to remove all corporate data while leaving your personal info alone.
    03-01-12 01:51 PM
    i'm on a BES Enterprise 5.0.3 MR6 Exchange, actually the BES Admin, but I don't get it. Of course I did not set a policy for it...and my policy is different for the normal users...
    03-01-12 02:08 PM
    It's down to whether your exchange server enables mobile policy which allows for mandated passwords, password length and remote wiping (I think you can have this without mobile policy though).

If your server doesn't have this enabled, for instance you might be connecting to something like Hotmail via activesync then Balance won't be enabled.
    03-01-12 02:14 PM
    Balance is part of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and is controlled from the admin side. It's designed to keep your work and personal data separate so, among other things, IT can wipe your device remotely to remove all corporate data while leaving your personal info alone.
    Balance is not apart of BES yet. It won't be until Mobile Fusion comes out at the end of the the month, and even then you need to be pay the thousands to RIM to own a copy and of course use must already be using BES 5.0.3 (non-express) server.

As for my co-workers they have their emails setup to connect at work which runs Exchange 2010 SP1 (activesync) and it too has a BES Express server.

At home I have SBS 2011 and BES Xpress 5.0.2 installed. I doubt it's a BES thing that triggers it at this point.

A.
    03-01-12 03:49 PM
    i'm on a BES Enterprise 5.0.3 MR6 Exchange, actually the BES Admin, but I don't get it. Of course I did not set a policy for it...and my policy is different for the normal users...
    Correct you won't get it until RIM releases Mobile Fusion for BES Enteprise 5.0.3 later this month; and course you buy a license for it too.

A.
    03-01-12 03:50 PM
    If you are connecting into a work account that on their side they have that security enabled, you have to setup a password for Balance
    Yes they are connecting to an exchange 2010 SP1 server. One of the co-works was prompted initially when he first connected but after he did a secure wipe and tried again it didn't pick up.

A.
    03-01-12 03:52 PM
    I don't know the mechanism for triggering Balance but as soon as I connected my PB to my office Exchange server using Activesync Balance was activated and I was prompted for a password. We use BES Express. I configure it but have mostly left on the default settings so I can't say which security profile activates Balance. That being the case my Playbook is NOT connected to BES (of course) but my bridged Torch is. I don't mind Balance. As a lawyer I appreciate the importance of security and a password. My only gripes are the maximum 5 minute limit before the password prompt comes up and the strcter password requirements (one number, one symbol). I would like a longer timeout and the ability to use a password I can enter with one finger. But, that is RIM's famous security for you.
    03-01-12 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD