I purchased a playbook for my son 2 years ago. He always complains there are no apps for him (and I agree ) I have heard that you can ad apps from android onto the tablet. From some advice, I had put the Blackberry extension onto Chrome so I can manage the Playbook on there (since I do not have a micro usb port on it, I have to use the other way to charge it) I tried to install .BAR files on the playbook, but none of them open. What am I doing wrong? I am not a genius on the computer/tablet, but with good explanation I can do anything Any of your advice would help me greatly. #1, what list of apps changed to .BAR do you use. #2, am I doing something wrong that nothing will work on the playbook that I add?
    Thanks,
    Beth
    06-02-14 06:01 PM
    I purchased a playbook for my son 2 years ago. He always complains there are no apps for him (and I agree ) I have heard that you can ad apps from android onto the tablet. From some advice, I had put the Blackberry extension onto Chrome so I can manage the Playbook on there (since I do not have a micro usb port on it, I have to use the other way to charge it) I tried to install .BAR files on the playbook, but none of them open. What am I doing wrong? I am not a genius on the computer/tablet, but with good explanation I can do anything Any of your advice would help me greatly. #1, what list of apps changed to .BAR do you use. #2, am I doing something wrong that nothing will work on the playbook that I add?
    Thanks,
    Beth
    Not sure what apps you are trying to side load. Not all apps work on playbook. Here is the link to the know how.
    Sideloading made easy with the PlayBook App Manager Browser Plugin | CrackBerry.com
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    06-02-14 06:19 PM
    It is a little frustrating as a number of apps don't work, nothing you can do about it, as they need a newer version of the Android runtime than what is on our Playbook. More apps don't work than do work. I would suggest checking out Android App Store & Blackberry Playbook and Blackberry 10 Apps and look under the blackberry section. The apps there have been pre-converted to .bar files. Even then, I find it can be hit or miss on getting an app to work on the playbook, but the odds are much more favourable.
    06-03-14 01:13 PM
    U 2 are awesome!! I will look into this! Thanks
    06-04-14 06:41 PM
    Yeah you're right none of them work. time to buy a new tablet.
    06-06-14 11:57 AM
    Yeah you're right none of them work. time to buy a new tablet.
    Sometimes you need to find an older version of the app for it to run on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 12:15 PM
    Yeah I tried about 10 different ones :/
    06-06-14 12:26 PM
    Don't know if you are looking for games or not. It's true that there are no apps for some of the newer games, e.g. Candy Crush, but remember that you can play at the websites most of the time. I think you can play it at king.com. Also, there are a lot of flash games websites. I think you can play the flash games at Facebook. Remember that most of the time, apps are needed because the OS doesn't support flash. Download Origami browser if you haven't already and go to it!
    06-06-14 12:40 PM
    Yes games mostly. temple run in particular. What is oragami browser?
    06-06-14 12:54 PM
    Temple Run is difficult. Origami is a 3rd party internet browser that allows you to change some settings, user agent/flash/java, so that more websites work faster and better.

Have you looked at this game? It is along the lines of "endless runner".
    Run In Crowd - BlackBerry World
    06-06-14 01:06 PM
    Playbook UK has a good thread on the top apps for the PB, too -- some are games, and some are Android sideloads.

I don't have it handy, but I'm sure he or someone else can chime in.
    06-06-14 01:18 PM
    For Temple Run, try Tomb Escape, which is basically the same game and which is in app world.
    06-06-14 01:31 PM
    Some of these are worth a try:

Playbook and BB10 – Action and Adventure Games

Playbook and BB10 – Strategy Games

The Orange Pixel games (similar to 8 bit NES games) work nicely on the PB, too. Here's mention of them in a thread (and the thread itself is a must for sideloading Android apps and requests):

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo.../index169.html
    06-06-14 01:31 PM
    I use "apk to bar converter" website. You can download bar files and sideload them (using your computer) with Chrome Browser or DDPB. You can upload apks and they will be converted in about 60 seconds and you can download and sideload them.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-07-14 03:15 AM
    I am very grateful for all of these suggestions!!! Thanks so much!!
    06-07-14 04:41 PM