hey guys, with yesterdays new dev alpha update adding new features that are core to bb10, i was wondering if its possible to get yesterdays dev alpha update onto the playbook in the similar way the previous dev alpha updates were able to...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-26-12 10:14 AM
    that's interesting. if someone posts the installation file we might try it out but I doubt it will work.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    09-26-12 10:18 AM
    You may want to check the Tablet OS boards for this one...
    Chaddface likes this.
    09-26-12 10:18 AM
    For those too lazy to follow the advise of the above post; it's been tried, it doesn't work well/at all. (For some it works a bit, for others it just gives a garbled screen).
    09-26-12 10:22 AM
    RIM should just stop with OS 2.1 and just give us the damn dev alpha OS 10 beta for the #DEAD PlayBook.
    09-26-12 10:28 AM
    RIM should just stop with OS 2.1 and just give us the damn dev alpha OS 10 beta for the #DEAD PlayBook.
    Funny, my Playbook is working fine. Definitely not "dead" !!

Oh, you were referring to sales numbers, or that you haven't got 2.1 yet.... TRS DRLE!!

Si.
    09-26-12 10:34 AM
    Funny, my Playbook is working fine. Definitely not "dead" !
    My PS2 is working fine, it's still a dead console.
    MrNutt likes this.
    09-26-12 11:27 AM
    If there are updates and has reasonable specs it isn't dead. Apps and games are constantly being added plus the regular updates for the os weather it's bug fixes or actual updates. All together proof, very much NOT dead.
    Take for example the ps2 that someone mentioned. No system updates or bug fixes plus nothing being released for it, unsupported so in a way dead.
    Also the hp tablet that used the palm os, again unsupported so dead...
    Other contrary, the original iphone, we'll it's old and the hardware is showing its age, but apple is still supporting it with updates and apps of course are still being made for ios so again, not dead.
    This is generally how hardware is classed in the computer industry.
    Any thoughts?
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-26-12 11:55 AM
    Other contrary, the original iphone, we'll it's old and the hardware is showing its age, but apple is still supporting it with updates and apps of course are still being made for ios so again, not dead.
    Fairly certain the last few revisions of iOS do not run on the original iPhone. The original iPhone never received anything past 3.1.3. Considering 6.0 has just been released, that is a considerable gap. The 3G (2nd model) never went past 4.2.1. The 3GS is the oldest model still actually being supported.

As for apps, those being released today will most likely require an OS higher than 3.1.3, meaning they will NOT function on the original iPhone. Chances are they are also incompatible with it's fairly dated hardware (620MHz processor underclocked to 412MHz, 128MB RAM; compared to the iPhone 5 with a 1.2GHz dual core processor and 1GB RAM).

So no, the original iPhone (and the 3G too) is dead.
    09-26-12 12:32 PM
    I stand corrected. Yup that would make the original iphone dead then. I was told it was still being updated, misinformed I guess. None the less playbook is far from dead.
    SifJar likes this.
    09-26-12 12:47 PM
    How are any of the last few posts even relevant to the topic??
    Playbook recently got bard's tale.. it is going to get BB10 == not dead..

as for the dev alpha: a few people have tried with varied results (you can check details in the BB tablet os subforum.. even loading up the .bars did not work.. (would guess cos of the new apis, cascades etc..)
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-26-12 12:53 PM
    My PS2 is working fine, it's still a dead console.
    That is an old console and doesn't apply here. PS3 is running last place against current generations of MS and Nintendo consoles, but it doesn't mean that it is dead. It is being supported, manufactured, bought, enjoyed, etc..

BB10 looks like a game changer for RIM, and PlayBook will receive it. The tablet is not dead now, and won't be dead when BB10 is released. It may die when the next generation of RIM tablets comes out , but that is to be expected with all products.

Also the 4G version was just released (and that is more like v1.5 of PB), which is odd to do for a "dead" tablet.

People maybe are frustrated with some aspect of their PlayBook, but there is no need to exaggerate things and make false claims. Look at BB10 info and you will probably be excited for what will happen to your PlayBook.

On a side note:
    I know there are some people who want to remain angry for whatever reason and will ignore BB10 information and pretend "PB won't get it ever" or "it won't get it for years after release" or some other excuse to continue to be mad at RIM, but they like to be bitter rather than excited. As long as they don't pee in our cereals, power to them and I hope they enjoy their other tablet... I know I enjoy mine currently and will love my BB10 PlayBook!
    09-26-12 01:35 PM
    People maybe are frustrated with some aspect of their PlayBook, but there is no need to exaggerate things and make false claims. Look at BB10 info and you will probably be excited for what will happen to your PlayBook.
    How excited can you really be about BB10 on PB? The functions on BB10 is just an extension of BP plus more apps. Also, how can you be excited about something that you have no idea when it will appear, or ever? I won't be surprised if it will never come, consider how late RIM been with their products. Better bet is hope there is a BP 2 with better hardware and BB10.

Tell me how long is it taking PB to roll out 2.1? It is not even a groundbreaking update like 2.0 and it is taking them forever. How long you think they will take BB10 to BP? consider how much "support" they giving BP. From what I remembered RIM already stop making BP and just selling all the units at a loss. I don't know how much more support you will expect from RIM.
    09-26-12 01:54 PM
    What was it the original topic of this thread?
    Canuck671 likes this.
    09-26-12 02:10 PM
    that's why there is the playbook 4g that just came out, because RIM stopped making them, make sense isn't it ?

They are selling the unit cheap to make place for the new one don't you think ?

Some said, playbook is dead, that's why RIM just came out with the 4g device!

I wish my work would required that much sense... it would be easier for everything!

So why are they late with the update ? who said that they were late ? where is the official statement from RIM where they gave a specific date?

Why don't you guys just register for the dev os, which is the exact OS that you guys are waiting for except maybe some very minor tweak? I did, and it work great.

Now back to the topic!
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-26-12 02:14 PM
    How excited can you really be about BB10 on PB? The functions on BB10 is just an extension of BP plus more apps. Also, how can you be excited about something that you have no idea when it will appear, or ever? I won't be surprised if it will never come, consider how late RIM been with their products. Better bet is hope there is a BP 2 with better hardware and BB10.

Tell me how long is it taking PB to roll out 2.1? It is not even a groundbreaking update like 2.0 and it is taking them forever. How long you think they will take BB10 to BP? consider how much "support" they giving BP. From what I remembered RIM already stop making BP and just selling all the units at a loss. I don't know how much more support you will expect from RIM.
    Granted there will be less difference between OS2 to BB10 than OS7 (smartphone) to BB10, but there still looks to be a huge difference. Check out the videos and photos on the front page and CrackBerry.com and see for yourself. Also, with BB10 there has been conformation of big company apps ("major apps"). Will this be all major apps, I don't know, but having some will be great.

As for your skepticism for when it will be released for the PB, please remember this is ONE OS, not 2, so to push this out for PlayBook might require tweaks, but this is not going to be a totally different OS. 2.1 is taking a long time, 2.0 took a long time, but that is because it isn't as important as BB10. BB10 IS going to be used for ALL of RIM's platforms and that is where their resources are going. Once BB10 is out, it won't take long for PB to get it (just needs tweaks) and the resources will continue to be on BB10 allowing for all RIMs products to get quick attention. I am saying quick attention because right now they are BUILDING, which takes much longer than MAINTAINING.

It seems that they are actually giving a ton of support for PB BECAUSE they are giving a ton of support for BB10. 2.1 really isn't as important as BB10 to them, nor should it be. That is why we have to wait longer for 2.1 to be released. After all 2.1 is going to be obsolete when BB10 comes out in a few months (1Q 2013), as 2.1 is just a placeholder for BB10.
    AcADIeN likes this.
    09-26-12 02:18 PM

The functions of tablets in general are the same. The BB10 OS is very different then the PB OS.
    The PB will get the update.
    I don't know how long they have been working on 2.1. Do you?
    09-26-12 02:19 PM

Why don't you guys just register for the dev os, which is the exact OS that you guys are waiting for except maybe some very minor tweak? I did, and it work great.

Now back to the topic!
    SMS over Bridge and Bridge working over wifi are the two features I look forward to.
    09-26-12 02:25 PM
    SMS over Bridge and Bridge working over wifi are the two features I look forward to.
    me too, but I'm sure a lot of user that just want 2.1 doesn't even know why they want it.
    09-26-12 02:27 PM
    Methinks October 10 (10/10) portends a BB10 Preview Release for the PlayBook...
    09-26-12 02:32 PM
    that's why there is the playbook 4g that just came out, because RIM stopped making them, make sense isn't it ?

They are selling the unit cheap to make place for the new one don't you think ?

Some said, playbook is dead, that's why RIM just came out with the 4g device!

I wish my work would required that much sense... it would be easier for everything!

So why are they late with the update ? who said that they were late ? where is the official statement from RIM where they gave a specific date?

Now back to the topic!
    There are so many errors with your post, not even sure where to start.

No, I don't think they made the unit cheaper to make room for the new one. The price got cheaper way before PB 4g been released. They took a 500m hit on PB. It made sense to you to take a hit right after it was released to prepare for the 4g? So your reason for taking the hit is because 4g was coming out? not because it wasn't selling well? made perfect sense...

I was talking about the PB, not the PB 4g. and if you want to talk about the PB 4g, how many units they made and sold? how many commercials or ad u saw? It was almost an non-existence release. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put in a new chip in old PB and antenna. Also, this is probably just a sample release to see if the market have any demand for it. Judging by everything, i would say no. It was basically DOA especially for that price.

When did 2.0 come out? when did they say it will come out initially? when was bb10 supposed to come out? what is the new target date now? That is not late to you? Also, i asked how long is it taking PB 2.1 to come out. Did i say it was late? I just said it's taking forever to roll it out. Don't even try to twist my words around.
    Last edited by airbbtran; 09-26-12 at 03:29 PM.
    09-26-12 03:23 PM
    Methinks October 10 (10/10) portends a BB10 Preview Release for the PlayBook...
    Don't say that! When that day comes and goes and if there is no BB10 Previews people will be getting upset like they are with 2.1! For some a fun prediction or a sign really means "official". Sooooo shhhhhhhhh

Though that would be a good date to have officially released it, or with the timeline now send out a beta... from a marketing standpoint at least.
    09-26-12 04:06 PM
    It looks like someone got BBM to work on the PlayBook. I hope it's true because RIM will either have to give it to us or we will just take it! BOOM!
    09-27-12 12:02 AM
    It looks like someone got BBM to work on the PlayBook. I hope it's true because RIM will either have to give it to us or we will just take it! BOOM!
    Do you have a source?

EDIT: Found it: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7645484
    09-27-12 07:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD