The PlayBook is 100% continuing!! they are releasing BB10 on PlayBook shortly after they release it on the phones...and hopefully release a Beta Version for the PlayBook before the phones are released to work out the bugs and get feedback! They are 100% committed to the PlayBook and offering a whole array of Mobile Computing Devices!
    05-03-12 02:44 PM
    Some funny posts in here!!

Cascades and Accuweather was awesome.. Do they have the full app ready or just demo stuff?

I believe if lot of developers get the apps reqdy by august like accuweather, then we might see an august launch of bb10?
    05-03-12 02:45 PM

Cascades and Accuweather was awesome.. Do they have the full app ready or just demo stuff?

I believe if lot of developers get the apps reqdy by august like accuweather, then we might see an august launch of bb10?

IMO I really believe this is the case! I dont have anything to back it up, but it just seems like BB10 will be ready in June, July they may release a Beta version...and August an official release! Im thinking the "Late 2012" timeline is so they give themselves plenty of time JUST IN CASE something doesnt go according to plan and that way they dont look bad and have to delay 2 weeks or something...so this way they will look amazing by saying a Mid-October release, but then in July hold a press conference saying they are well ahead of track and BB10 is ready and will release in August...MEDIA WOULD LOVEEEE RIM FOR THIS!!!! instead of being months late like they were for the past year and a half, they will be months EARLY! would look amazing!

Also, RIM is clearly putting a lot of effort into Developers...and I think BB10 is closer to being ready than we think, and they are giving third-party developers time to create high quality apps to have in AppWorld at release...this way again media cant rip on them for not having apps!
    05-03-12 03:01 PM
    Should pop over to www. bgr.com and see that Gellar dares......
    A lot of people left their Twitter, RSS and other feeds after they posted the article "Even with BlackBerry 10, RIM is still dead". Karma is a bi*%$h I guess....
    05-03-12 03:13 PM

There are still important APIs discussed at the conference which won't be available to developers for another month or so. One speaker talked about multiple updates to our alpha devices before the launch. Other speakers kept referring to work that was still in design phase, not written and certainly not being tested yet. So no, I think this August rumor is wildly optimistic. I would expect a firm schedule to be announced in Aug, with app submissions sometime in Sept and launch in October. This is from the general sense we got from RIM engineers at the conference.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-03-12 at 03:32 PM.
    05-03-12 03:30 PM
    Just studied the SIII.
    It's a beast. An ugly beast.
    But the specs and Samsung software additions do make a statement.
    I trust RIM is watching carefully.
    05-03-12 03:45 PM
    are we going to get widgets or live wallpapers ? i like that i can open my phone and see what time it is and what the weather is like before im out of bed. i liked the BB10 demo that showed a mix between windows live tiles and androids widgets.

and what about sounds ? the playbook functions silently, i know a lot of people will like this but how about an option to have sound or opening apps etc.
    05-03-12 03:47 PM
    It's there but just fragmented and not in one place.. Not saying that it shouldn't be in one place.. But most of the stuff is covered..
    Sure, it maybe be covered, but it's not simple. I deal with enough complexity at work. I don't want it in my personal life. Simplicity is all I ask for. (And of course peace and solitude... Now leave me the heck alone. )
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 05-03-12 at 04:02 PM.
    05-03-12 03:59 PM
    Specifically: In spite of all the prior hype, and some super innovations, the tech press and the investment community are not impressed. RIMM price has dropped over the past few days as a result. The future of RIM's hardware divisions is tied to the success of, and response to, BB-10.

Plus, as others have said here, the timeline is wrong. Lots of new stuff from others coming first. Playbook is a good device but competition is a ..

It doesn't look go od to me.
    Ah, so in other words, there was nothing at this week's conference in which RIM specifically stated that the Playbok was discontinued, BB10 wasn't coming for it, and so forth. It's just speculation on the part of certain individuals on these forums; speculation that is based on nothing factual....per usual.
    rotorwrench and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    05-03-12 04:42 PM
    Should pop over to www. bgr.com and see that Gellar dares......
    I used to have news feeds from BGR. I just removed them from my BlackBerry News app. Bye bye BGR.
    05-03-12 04:45 PM
    Ah, so in other words, there was nothing at this week's conference in which RIM specifically stated that the Playbok was discontinued, BB10 wasn't coming for it, and so forth. It's just speculation on the part of certain individuals on these forums; speculation that is based on nothing factual....per usual.
    Well, something else was made painfully obvious.

RIM kept trotting out beaming developer after developer, talking about the PlayBook and OS10. The key thing they dodged? OS7.

As it stands, with OS10 nobody truly knows how good the final product will be. I mean, it's one thing to be impressed by a few, selected demos of some features but even the PlayBook pre-release had some decent 'wow' factor...until nearly every single reviewer out there rightly panned it for its half-baked software.

The BB World 2012 made it clear that OS7 is a dead end for consumers as far as the mid to high end is concerned (i.e the lucrative US market). Precious little consumer apps and games are coming out for it...so most definitely, RIM is set to lose even more marketshare by the time OS10 launches.

Coupled with the fact that the OS 10 devices will launch in a market with iPhone 5, newer WP8 devices and powerful Android devices like the upcoming Galaxy Note II, it's gonna be a tough struggle for RIM.

So...No...i'm not surprised RIM's share price is still taking a dive.
    05-03-12 06:47 PM
    Look past alot of the talking and what did we really get? Nice app transitions, a clever keyboard that will be on the android app store in a month and a nice camera app. Come on people.. It is so far from being done you need to take a step back and wonder what theyve spent the time doing..
    05-03-12 07:23 PM
    you'd clear up a lot of the confusion in response to your earlier posts if you made it clearer that RIM dropping the PB is your opinion or speculation. The way the posts are worded, they appear to be giving others the impression that you are saying there was an official announcement made
    Until the last few posts, I thought these statements were based on some inside info. Now it seems it was an opinion or speculation as you say. It was very confusing.
    05-03-12 08:24 PM
    Until the last few posts, I thought these statements were based on some inside info. Now it seems it was an opinion or speculation as you say. It was very confusing.
    No, it's all speculation and hearsay. No such statement has EVER been made. I don't believe Thor would have shot himself in the foot by his statement about improvements to the PB if there wasn't going to be continuation of it. But that is speculation and opinion on MY part
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    05-03-12 08:31 PM
    I concurr. I went back and listened/watched all of the keynote addresses and anything else I could find to read and couldn't see anything that suggested that the Playbook was discontinued. In fact, everything I saw was pointed towards the exact opposite particularly when one considers the number of developers who have indicated they are in the process of bringing over their games/apps to the Playbook. I dont mind speculation, but make it clear that it's one's own ideas instead of implying, either directly or indirectly, that it was coming directly from RIM.
    Chrysalis1156 and rotorwrench like this.
    05-03-12 08:48 PM
    I just hope they line everything up before release
    05-03-12 11:54 PM
    I personally don't think that any of RIM's products are phasing out anythime soon. It's all they've got.

Somewhere I would think that psych1 is making sense about the dev alpha device (which was meant to go public but was cannednewer design).. The playbook was not received as expected and that might have changed their mind to scrap the design. Afterall its just the physical body design and their main focus is on OS.

OS7 (even though it's already being claimed dead) is totally functional at par and very well designed. I don't see it phasing out although new devices will be shipped with OS10. OS5 is still very much functional and active and with every app the compatibility is available.

It's more like parrarel markets catering to the simple minded and also the advanced users.

Lastly I think that Playbook users are gonna be the BB10 testing guinny pigs which will be much appreciated.

I understand why big name developers are holding back is because OS10 will require a complete new App design will be only OS10 compatible. Now it might not be a lucrative market for devs but they will be forced on to this platform because they want to show the potential of their apps and currently no OS is capable enough as OS10. Accuweather has understood this and everyone would want their app to be lightning fast and extremely intuitive along with classy 3d and animation effects without putting pressure on cpu/gpu or expecting users to purchase expensive tablet.

With BB10 RIM has once again put style and function in everyones hands. August is going to be crucial for RIM and very exciting for us!
    05-04-12 12:01 AM
    OS7 (even though it's already being claimed dead) is totally functional at par and very well designed. I don't see it phasing out although new devices will be shipped with OS10. OS5 is still very much functional and active and with every app the compatibility is available.
    If OS7 was so well designed and 'functionally at par', why is RIM phasing it out? Why are consumers rejecting it in droves in North America?

I understand why big name developers are holding back is because OS10 will require a complete new App design will be only OS10 compatible. Now it might not be a lucrative market for devs but they will be forced on to this platform because they want to show the potential of their apps and currently no OS is capable enough as OS10. Accuweather has understood this and everyone would want their app to be lightning fast and extremely intuitive along with classy 3d and animation effects without putting pressure on cpu/gpu or expecting users to purchase expensive tablet.
    I had to chuckle at 'Currently no OS is capable enough as OS10".
    Can you step back for a moment and see how silly this sounds? OS10 has not even been shown in any complete form, let alone in a form superior to Android and iOS.

App developers have been showing the potential of their apps on iOS and Android for years now. It's only on the Blackberry OS5, 6 and 7 that their apps have been severely limited by RIM's brainless hardware choices.
    05-04-12 02:33 AM
    Folks, remember, from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    Branta likes this.
    05-04-12 08:44 AM
    I for one (of) many, am looking forward to the OS 10. My first berry was a hand me down from my sister, don't remember model number. I think it was the first curve. My first response was, I love the feeling of how it fits in the hand and how great to have a little keyboard. From that I had the pearl 8100, Bold 9000, curve 8520, got the Bold 9900 for my partner and just bought a used 9780 for myself in anticipation of the next OS. I do have the Nokia N8 for its incredible camera and feel of quality, and am in the process of giving away an android phone (too buggy). I have a busy life outside of technology with "living and friends " so I don't feel the need for continuous want,want, want. I buy for what I need and feel like I have always made right choices. This time I "want " the BlackBerry 10, and because I don't know what it will bring, I will be pleasantly amazed at the technology that will eventually be able to hold in my hand.
    05-04-12 09:13 AM
    [warn]Make Meaningful Posts

While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks

Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it![/warn]

CrackBerry implemented new anti-spam systems recently and my banning statistics have slipped below average. The troll-hunting season is open and I'm bored... I leave it for individual members to decide if they wish to try their luck. Just remember... a troll can usually be banned with 2 clicks but a warning needs at least 5 clicks. I consider that to be 3 avoidable clicks of unnecessary extra work.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    05-04-12 09:17 AM
    I quoted your whole post because there are several KEY words in it.

Here are a few, hardened, secure, powerful, cars, jet fighters, tanks, space stations, commercial aircraft. I'll add nuclear power plants and could find 50 others.

What have we been hearing from governments all over the world for how long?

China hacked the US, France, etc. Pirating, anti piracy, SOPA, CISPA, Rupert Murdoch hacking celebrities, bla bla bla, yada yada yada....

Guess who is the only one who has been focusing on security instead of angry birds for all this time?

RIM, not RIP!
    Here are some other areas QNX is already in your life:

30 Ways QNX Touches Your Life
    05-04-12 07:58 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD