CNet showing some love... There's also a hint that an update is coming (if you partially load the page, the picture has a note that says possible os update next week) [I know its slim, but here's hoping]

BlackBerry 10 won't be PlayBook redux. Here's why | Mobile - CNET News
    12-10-12 10:26 AM
    what part of this article makes you believe the update is coming next week?
    12-10-12 10:44 AM
    Good article..... If RIM does update Playbook to BB10 then the app issues may be resolved... will be interesting to see if BB10 will be compatable with different devices.... ala Apple.....
    12-10-12 10:45 AM
    I hope you are right, and I still think that PB OS10 beta will be out before BB10 phones. I also think it will be smart for them to do it before Xmas (even better if they did it before Black Friday), but I don't see any notes on that page. The photo was from Dev Con and partial loaded or fully loaded, I couldn't see any note on that photo or any photos. It could be my mistake so if it is still there, could you do a screen capture on it?

I didn't even think they were really talking about BB10 for the PlayBook but rather them talking about how in general the BB10 shouldn't be compared to the PlayBook's rush job.

I do hope you are right and did see something that was removed or something that I cannot find, but I find it difficult to believe that Cnet knows the news first and then not spill the beans, especially if they are interested enough to write an article in the first place.
    12-10-12 11:07 AM
    what part of this article makes you believe the update is coming next week?
    Here's what's hidden behind the main picture if you partially load it.

"BlackBerry 10 won't be PlayBook redux. Here's why" [update coming next week?!]-img_00000129.jpg
    chaosdivine and BerryClever like this.
    12-10-12 11:51 AM
    Isn't it more likely to be an update to the current OS (if anything)?

Maybe we'll be able to sort and edit browser bookmarks! How cool would that be?
    12-10-12 11:56 AM
    Hmm... I don't see any love... I see an article bashing the PlayBook badly... And then stating the obvious that BlackBerry 10 isn't Tablet OS, thus nobody can tell what's gonna happen.
    12-10-12 12:06 PM
    At least it's not constantly negative, they're giving bb10 a chance instead of blindly writing it off
    12-10-12 12:38 PM
    Ukmmm. Copyright on that image is 2010 -- more likely a photo media asset that had a predefined alt tag that wasn't removed for this article...
    12-10-12 12:58 PM
    I don't know if this photo has it too (I guess I am doing it wrong or something), but here is a Cnet article from October using the same picture. RIM kicks BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 into the field | Mobile - CNET News
    12-10-12 01:19 PM
    I don't know if this photo has it too (I guess I am doing it wrong or something), but here is a Cnet article from October using the same picture. RIM kicks BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 into the field | Mobile - CNET News
    Nope, it says "Former RIM CEO Mike Laziridis first introduced the BlackBerry PlayBook in 2010."
    kevinnugent and BerryClever like this.
    12-10-12 01:23 PM
    Nope, it says "Former RIM CEO Mike Laziridis first introduced the BlackBerry PlayBook in 2010."
    Next week should be interesting then. If they used that photo once, I am sure they used it a few times, so there is that possibility that it was just a screw up. I am not going to hold my breath for next week release (if anything, a beta probably), but we probably won't know until next week.

I will get a thread started about RIM being liars and pushing back the BB10 "release date" and will put it up on Tuesday. I figure I will be ahead of the curve for when these fun speculations get misinterpreted as facts and those threads blow up the board!

To the OP, as skeptical as I am, I hope your find isn't a Cnet mistake. None-the-less, very good eye!

Edit: Just found the article it came from (turned off the image loading to read the placeholder). http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...th-your-money/

Crap
    Last edited by BerryClever; 12-10-12 at 01:51 PM.
    12-10-12 01:36 PM
    I'm sure an updated PBOS must be inbound "soon". Afterall, Bla1ze posted that 2.1 internally was up to .1172 over a month ago.

But anyone who believes that an imminent PB update will be BB10 should cut back on whatever it is they're smoking. RIM aren't going to steal their own thunder by initially releasing their flagship OS on a (nearly) 2-year-old tablet that was a commercial failure and, in the process, sabotage their own BB10 phone launch "BIG DAY" in January.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-10-12 at 02:04 PM.
    12-10-12 01:53 PM
    I'm sure an updated PBOS must be inbound "soon". Afterall, Bla1ze posted that 2.1 internally was up to .1172 over a month ago.

But anyone who believes that an imminent PB update will be BB10 should cut back on whatever it is they're smoking. RIM aren't going to steal their own thunder by releasing their flagship OS on a (nearly) 2-year-old tablet that was a commercial failure and, in the process, sabotage their own BB10 phone launch "BIG DAY".
    Everyone was skeptical, and as stated just above, it was a reused place holder/ layout (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...th-your-money/). There is a chance they do release a PB BB10 beta before the phone launch to increase word of mouth, get user input, etc. Releasing the phone after xmas could hurt them by losing a foothold on MS and losing more ground to Google and Apple, but if BB10 is all they say it is then releasing a version in public might be the smart move by them (I don't mean alpha phones that only Dev. have).

The PB itself was built using some of the best parts so the age isn't important in the technological sense unless you believe Apple who wants you to buy a new tablet every year... in fact some people don't even know that it came out nearly 2 years ago, so maybe there will be less stigmatism if they believe in the whole yearly update nonsense.

On top of all that, if BB10 is so amazing then there is no way that would sabotage their own BB10 phone launch by releasing a beta anytime soon. If anything it would cause articles to be written, users to be showing off the BB10 PB pre phone release, excitement for the phone, increase PB sales, and allow new customers to think how great RIM is as a company by supporting their "old" products with free major updates.

So pros for beta release for BB10 before phones:
    1. Word of mouth marketing
    2. Professional review marketing
    3. Possible increase of PB sales before the phone release and may cause more phone pre-orders
    4. Marketing of their customer service and their corporate identity
    5. Fixing and tweaking of the pre-released OS based on user input

Cons:
    If BB10 isn't good then they are done for a few months sooner rather than a few months later.

RIM may wait, but they may not either. They will do what they feel is the best path for their company and I think that there is enough pros and cons for them to have that choice. Neither one of their choices are crazy.
    12-10-12 02:21 PM
    I would imagine RIM would hold off on the BB10 Playbook beta launch until after their phone launch.

Based on their previous 45-day update cycle, they are due for an update in the next few days. They'll probably drop an update soon and have another 2.1 update ready for the Jan 30th launch to ensure compliance and interoperability with BB10.
    12-10-12 02:44 PM
    BTW, where can I buy PlayBook 32gb on sale price in Toronto now? I think Staples is all out of stock.
    12-10-12 03:44 PM

But anyone who believes that an imminent PB update will be BB10 should cut back on whatever it is they're smoking. RIM aren't going to steal their own thunder by initially releasing their flagship OS on a (nearly) 2-year-old tablet that was a commercial failure and, in the process, sabotage their own BB10 phone launch "BIG DAY" in January.
    Hey, since Sunday at midnight that stuff is now legal here! Nope, I'm too old to care - bb10 for the pb would be a bigger high!
    anon(4018671) and JeepBB like this.
    12-10-12 04:17 PM
    Try Best Buy, Future Shop, The Source....
    12-10-12 04:26 PM
    The first BB 10 L picture:

What do you think about ????

What do you think about ????
    Last edited by Luckyman6886; 12-11-12 at 10:56 PM.
    12-11-12 09:44 PM
    Back is a bit underwhelming. Maybe it's just the pictures. But it doesn't appear premium in the pictures.
    12-11-12 09:54 PM
    Replaceable battery or not????
    12-11-12 10:41 PM
    So pros for beta release for BB10 before phones:
    1. Word of mouth marketing
    2. Professional review marketing
    3. Possible increase of PB sales before the phone release and may cause more phone pre-orders
    4. Marketing of their customer service and their corporate identity
    5. Fixing and tweaking of the pre-released OS based on user input

Cons:
    If BB10 isn't good then they are done for a few months sooner rather than a few months later.

RIM may wait, but they may not either. They will do what they feel is the best path for their company and I think that there is enough pros and cons for them to have that choice. Neither one of their choices are crazy.[/QUOTE]
    _______

I agree with this. Lots of teasers about PBOS but it makes no sense to put out an upgrade before the "big release" (read BB10) day comes. Teasers can help sell more PB tablets though.
    12-11-12 10:52 PM
    ...If RIM does update Playbook to BB10 then ...
    Don't you mean, "when the playbook gets bb10"? Because I'm pretty sure it is established that the pb is getting bb10. And I think it will come out jan 30th. So before the phones because technically jan 30th is the "release date" of bb10
    12-12-12 12:22 AM
    Looks like the update did come approx a week later ;p
    12-20-12 03:46 PM