Anybody knows if there are plans of launching a playbook with screen size similar to Ipad?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 01:40 PM
    nope.......
    07-31-11 01:44 PM
    nope.......
    actually it was rumoured, bu also rumoured that development has stopped.

we dont truly know as we are not RIM.. but I am also holding out for a 9 or 10" PB.
    07-31-11 02:04 PM
    The current screen size is THE reason I purchased the PB.
    Almost the same time the PB came out so did the IPad2.
    I had and still have NO desire to carry THAT big pad thing.
    For those who want a larger screen tablet there are many other's to select.
    Last edited by mandony; 08-01-11 at 03:39 PM.
    linuxdaemon likes this.
    07-31-11 02:45 PM
    Almost the same day the PB came out so did the IPad2.
    Th iPad 2 and PlayBook North American launches were nearly six weeks apart, with the iPad 2 launch coming earlier. The gap only grew wider for international launches.
    07-31-11 02:58 PM
    i think the screen is a perfect size. just feels right in your hands.

I was shocked at how small it was as i was comparing it to an ipad in my head when i bought it online, but when i got it i was like "wow" its actually better.

The best part is the internet, it just fits.. no pinching, no zooming needed. with the added size of the ipad and larger tablets i found that it loads the full page which looks good, but theres lots of zooming in and out, just have to scroll down on the pb (dont start flaming my only ipad experience was when they first came out in an apple store, so things may have improved)
    07-31-11 03:03 PM
    I love the size also all though they should make a larger one for those that want one.
    07-31-11 08:13 PM
    Anybody knows if there are plans of launching a playbook with screen size similar to Ipad?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No idea . All I know is that if they do, it will be a piece of cake to make Playbook bigger - a much smaller feat then trying to make a iPad smaller.

Kinda make me appreciate just what a technical feat it was to make this so small - iPad as all the internal real estate it could possibly need.

Maybe a third party developer could come out with a large otterbox type case with built in large touchscreen that plugs into the HDMI port and uses USB or bluetooth for the touch control! Then you could have your cake and eat it too - BOTH sizes.

The technology is already there so I would not be surprised to see a larger playbook that hopefully will be called WorkBook.
    BrokenSaint likes this.
    07-31-11 10:42 PM
    The current screen size is THE reason I purchased the PB.
    Almost the same day the PB came out so did the IPad2.
    I had and still have NO desire to carry THAT big pad thing.
    For those who want a larger screen tablet there are many other's to select.
    Amen to that - I will never forget the geek I saw walking down mainstreet one dark evening surfing on his unwieldy iPad with the glow lighting up his face - I swore right then I would wait for the playbook.
    07-31-11 10:46 PM
    You can have any size screen you want....as long as your home via a HDMI cable. You're only stuck on a 7 inch when you're out and about.
    07-31-11 11:42 PM
    I firstly didn't buy the size of 7" tablet until I owned and returned the GT 10.1. The PB size is smaller but the QNX makes it more portable than ever. I usually use tablet in my bed, so the 7" fits my need very well. Also when I travel, make me feel less awkward than pulling out a large tablet.
    08-01-11 12:31 AM
    7" was the first reason I got BB PB instead of iPad. If there was an 7" iPad, that would have been a tough decision for me. I think I'd still go with BB though. Their phones are engineered so well, there are so many things that are thought out so well software wise (none of it is on the pb yet) that it's hard not to go BB way once you are used to it.
    08-01-11 04:02 AM
    7" pb cost almost $600, so 10" pb will cost at least 800-900$..or can it be around $600 like ipad and gtab 10"?
    08-01-11 04:08 AM
    7" pb cost almost $600, so 10" pb will cost at least 800-900$..or can it be around $600 like ipad and gtab 10"?
    I think that 10" pb will have to sell for 800-900 because of their pricing strategy. Therefore I think that this is the reason there will never be an 10" pb in the coming years (4-5 years at least). I also think that they priced it this way because they plan not to make 10" tablets. Otherwise their pricing strategy does not make sense to me. Unless!, they thought that pb would outsell ipad in the short term and they could then make a 10" tablet which costs 1,5 times more than iPads.
    08-01-11 04:51 AM
    In 4 years we will have some funky form format..paperscroll screen, or folded, paper thin screen and so on, so the competition and market maybe moved to wholly different direction. Netbook may make a comeback...and in consumer market none is more prepared than apple..they got netbook and tablet market, thus can force or change trend...see new macbook air...it's very thin..no disc drive..instant resume, and so on...ipad create whole new market for tablet, just like what iphone does.
    So rim is playing god old boy, building slowly, facelifting bolds, curves, pretty sure of his direction, but everyone else is running fast...some may get lost, but someone definitely finish sooner than rim. Even nokia, who knows.
    Last edited by sportline; 08-01-11 at 06:24 AM.
    jossix likes this.
    08-01-11 06:21 AM
    That 7" screen is perfect. Far better than a Galaxy Tab screen, and actually easier to rean than a 10" Galaxy screen. Size isn't everything - the PB display is the best one out there.
    mandony likes this.
    08-01-11 06:23 AM
    In 4 years we will have some funky form format..paperscroll screen, or folded, paper thin screen and so on, so the competition and market maybe moved to wholly different direction. Netbook may make a comeback...and in consumer market none is more prepared than apple..they got netbook and tablet market, thus can force or change trend...see new macbook air...it's very thin..no disc drive..instant resume, and so on...ipad create whole new market for tablet, just like what iphone does.
    So rim is playing god old boy, building slowly, facelifting bolds, curves, pretty sure of his direction, but everyone else is running fast...some may get lost, but someone definitely finish sooner than rim. Even nokia, who knows.
    Sounds like a post from an apple lover all though some good points.

I know there are a lot of apple lovers and they make some good stuff but personally I don't like the way they do things so for me apple is not relevant and I don't want to live in all apple world.
    08-01-11 07:58 AM
    When you talk about apple doesn't make you an apple lover, but to understand the market, you need to understand the market movers. Rim is not the market mover now.
    08-01-11 08:32 AM
    Agree with that. I'm hoping they can change that with QNX but they still need to allow things for consumers that IT can block.
    08-01-11 09:01 AM
    When you talk about apple doesn't make you an apple lover, but to understand the market, you need to understand the market movers. Rim is not the market mover now.
    Apple WAS the market mover when they created a new product and need. Now customers ARE the market movers for tablets. We ask for what we need in a tablet and the manufacturers try to keep up with us. Apple is also way behind catching up with needs of tablet users.

I own an iPhone, my gf owns an iPad, I have also bb bold and PlayBook. They all miss some need/feature. As far as phones go BB is the best in my opinion. Why did I get an iPhone? Because it had a larger screen and better web experience. Now that I have the tablet that serves my needs, I no longer need the iPhone. Bye bye Apple.

I still use macbook though as a computer, because it still serves my needs better than any other computer.

If I were RIM (BlackBerry) I would create a phone that had a larger screen than all the other phones and smaller screen than all the other tablets. A single product that can do everything is the ideal solution for me. I alsways have my phone with me, now I have to carry PB as well.
    Last edited by oyalhi; 08-01-11 at 09:58 AM.
    08-01-11 09:16 AM
    Customers are the market. Apple may have trouble keeping the momentum and wowing the audience with new innovations, keeping the growth, and so on, but we will see. There must be a reason apple is not making a qwerty handset, yet, or not making smaller ipad. Maybe the same reluctance rim had in improving it's touchscreen handsets.
    08-01-11 09:54 AM
    Personally, I hope, as has been reported a few weeks back, RIM drops any plans to release a larger sized Playbook. I hope instead they concentrate their finite resources on refining the current form factor, which suits me very well, and on enhancing the OS and working better and smarter with developers to produce content for the one device.

We had to replace an ancient flip phone (no easy task) over the weekend, so we went to a Staples and a Verizon store and while we were waiting, had an extended time to fool around with the 7 and 10 inch Android tablets and the Ipad 2. The Playbook just looks and feels better than its rival 7" tablets, and the swipe and bezel functionality was clearly superior to that of the Ipad 2, to a surprising degree. I like aspects of the Ipad 2 (its brightness and its colorfulness, and a very nice way to get into the settings) and it is has that built-in quality feel of most Apple products. But if anything, its overall response lagged behind the Playbook and it cries out for a bezel function to such an extent that it can be only a matter of time before Apple poaches it and with great fanfare announces this epochal evolutionary breakthrough for the Ipad 3 or 4. The bezel just works. You need a space to hold the tablet anyway, and I hate the idea of an edge-to-edge screen because there'd always be this big, meaty paw obscuring part of the website, email, etc. So the bezel works ergonomically, both in the parts that interact with the screen and when it is not.

Increasingly I think that RIM hit the sweet spot with the Playbook size, because the screen is large enough to reasonably display spreadsheets, videos, docs, etc., but easy on the hands and wrists and desktop. It fits in a pocket sometimes, and is otherwise no bother to carry around. No matter how light and thin the larger tablets get, they just aren't comfortable to use. I've said this before, but when you see the glossy, video adds for the larger tablets, they always feature some rapturous user walking along, holding the slablet out in front of them. But while the intent of the image is to convey how comfortable and effortless it all is, it has the opposite effect on me, as the actor is trying way too hard to look perfectly at ease. It reminds me of watching someone trying to read the New York Times on a subway -- there are those who have mastered the news equivalent art of origami and can, with a baffling series of paper folds, reduce the paper to a manageable size and then flip around as they read, but it still looks like a heck of a lot of bother. Either that or someone reading a large format paper in the public library, attached to one of those long wooden sticks.
    oyalhi likes this.
    08-01-11 12:12 PM
    Tablets bigger than 7" are totally stupid and useless. Seriously, what's the point in ~10" tablets? You can't even put it in your pocket.
    mandony likes this.
    08-01-11 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD