I already have a PB but the big sale got me thinking about one for my folks for Christmas. So this morning I checked the Canadian ShopBlackberry site. The site still says "from $199" all over the place, promoting the sale, but when you click-through either at SBB or any of the listed retailers it's full price.

So what's the story? Does anyone have a good link to any PB's at the sale prices?

Dave
    12-02-11 10:57 AM
    go to blackberry.com after you add it to your cart and checkout the price will change.
    12-02-11 11:03 AM
    Seems the Canadian site has gone back to presale prices - they have indicated all along the sale ends Dec 1st. On the US site the sale was extended to Dec 3rd.
    12-02-11 11:23 AM
    I'm skeptical that the Playbook's price will go back to $499, $599 and $699 for more than a few weeks--if at all. It's already been demonstrated that it simply won't sell at those prices. If RIM wants to recover from the Playbook disaster of 2011, it needs to keep those prices low until the big OS update in February so that enough people have playbooks in hand to make it actually profitable to write an app for it.

Once the PB2 or whatever its called is released with full functionality then they can raise the price again. Though, with a retina quality iPad and a well built, inexpensive Asus transformer on the horizon that hardware better be competitive at a value for the price.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the first PB price drop another $50 or more across all three models to clear inventory ahead of a new hardware release--if there are any left.
    12-02-11 11:54 AM
    I believe the sale at RadioShack (The Source - The Source | Netbooks & Laptops | Cell Phones | GPS | Batteries | Xbox, PS3 & Wii | 3D LED TVs, LCD & Plasma TVs | Home Theater Systems & More | La Source) ends at midnight tonight, so you can still get one there at the discounted price.
    12-02-11 12:39 PM
    On ca.shopblackberry.com they are now $499, $599, and $699
    12-02-11 12:44 PM
    Is a 16G Playbook worth $500? Sorry, no.
    Is 48G of flash memory worth $200? Sorry, no.

The pricing was - and is - unreasonable.

At $200 or even $250 for a 16G Playbook it's a reasonable price-point. Another $100 for the 64G version is reasonable... witness the price of flash drives. RIM needs to drop the price permanently. If they can't make a profit at the price consumers are willing to pay, the product line should be re-evaluated and possibly axed if there's no tie-in benefit.

At $500 there's just not enough incentive. At that price there's no strong argument to not get an iPad or possibly an Asus Transformer. I like my (new) PB but there's no way I could justify full price.
    12-02-11 12:44 PM
    I believe walmart is still carrying PB on sale price. I ordered one for a combo discount (PB 16gb, fast charge dock and case) today morning after being left disapponted by shopblackberry online store (my order got cancelled).
    12-02-11 12:45 PM
    I believe walmart is still carrying PB on sale price. I ordered one for a combo discount (PB 16gb, fast charge dock and case) today morning after being left disapponted by shopblackberry online store (my order got cancelled).
    I did the same. Funny, this bundle was out of stock earlier in the week, but it was back today!
    12-02-11 12:51 PM
    Only in the US can you order one at $199 - thread on same is here - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ywhere-675351/ - my own attempts (even as a BB developer) have been fruitless now for 2 days - and The Source has NONE in stock in Ontario at least....there are NONE at any of the retailers who're supposed to be carrying same....

Bloody **** of a way to run a consumer products group....sigh....
    12-02-11 12:57 PM
    On ca.shopblackberry.com they are now $499, $599, and $699
    Just wait--I really believe they will go back down.
    12-02-11 01:03 PM
    Wal-mart.ca is only showing 32gb @ $598.

I ordered a 64gb from thesource.ca for $499 (the still have 32gb as well) and will relinquish my 32gb as a Christmas gift for some lucky person!
    12-02-11 01:10 PM
    this was WIDELY advertised as a SALE...not a permanant price point. In canada they have been on sale for longer than they have here in the states. I jumped on the sale as soon as it hit here in the states. so to say that you can't believe RIM is ending the sale is silly. I do believe that the msrp of the playbook needs to be looked at more closely as most have said. This price point obviously works for the playbook I think even 250 would be a great price for the 16gb.
    12-02-11 01:13 PM
    Check craigslist and Kijiji, they are all over. about 250$ to 300$ for the 16GB in the montreal area. it's the same thing we had with the Touchpad. people grab dozens of them and try to make a few bucks because no one will pay 499$ for it.
    12-02-11 01:20 PM
    I ordered one from Staples.ca Wednesday and it showed in stock and next day delivery. Thursday came and went without a delivery. When I called the lady on the phone said they had a great demand for them and it may take until next week. I came home at lunch today (Friday) to find a door knocker tag saying they attempted delivery. When I called to see if I could pick it up anywhere, the guy on the phone explained they got in an unexpected quick delivery of playbooks and that is why mine was shipped today but I will have to wait until it is put out for delivery again Monday.

It looks like Rimm is shipping out more stock to the retailers, so get them on sale if you can. They are no longer on sale at Staples, but The Source shows them on their web site, in stock, and still on sale

edit: The Source has them on sale, but only $200 off, not $300.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-02-11 at 02:40 PM.
    12-02-11 01:31 PM
    I did the same. Funny, this bundle was out of stock earlier in the week, but it was back today!
    yup the bundle was not available last week.. it was trying to place an order on last friday .. well i hope atleast walmart will not disappoint me..
    12-02-11 01:46 PM
    Seems like they're selling like hot cakes.
    12-02-11 02:45 PM
    for thos who missed the sale, check kijiji. Esp the kitchener/waterloo kijiji. There is a ridiculous amount of them for sale, just over the super sale price.
    12-02-11 08:13 PM
    So the sale is good til the end of tomorrow?
    12-02-11 09:54 PM
    I found a 64GB for $325 free shipping on ebay NIB. Seller has bout 28more
    12-02-11 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD