I was also looking forward to viewing pdf files on my playbook, but the reader is horrible. I get blank pages on some pages too.

I hope they get a major update out soon.

...and the photoshop apps that are out for iPad wouldn't hurt either.
    05-13-11 11:01 PM
    AR on the PB is not just lacking in funcionality, but I have found that after loading some books that if is missing completer pages, probably about 30 pages missing in a book of 600 pages. They are clear on my mac, so obviously a PB glitch.
    05-14-11 09:46 AM
    I am seriously considering the PB but .pdf support is critical for me. I am definitely on the outside looking in until RIM/Adobe get it together and releases a proper .pdf reader. I understand this is early days but this weakness is obvious and almost embarrassing. Bring on the professional apps PLEASE!
    05-15-11 08:04 PM
    I contacted Repligo and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting us. We are investigating the opportunity available for developing a Playbook version of RepliGo Reader but have not made any commitments yet. I'll keep you posted once a decision has been made. Let me know if you have any questions or need additional assistance. Thanks again,
    05-16-11 02:23 PM
    hello,

i notice that this thread is months old, does anyone have updates on this pdf problem? i've been thinking about getting the playbook. i'm a serious college student with a collection of books in pdf format. if the pdf issue isn't resolved, there is no point in getting a playbook. Thanks.
    11-23-11 07:15 PM
    the pdf reader has not been updated. there are no bookmarks.
    11-23-11 07:26 PM
    There has been no change in the pdf status of the pb. Some folks don't seem to have problems as a few students have written about using it.
    11-23-11 08:50 PM
    Being an English teacher in Indonesia, I am a heavy user user of .pdf files. I have some 14GB/300+ English text and resource books loaded on my 64GB Playbook.

Many of these files I have either scanned myself using Adobe software, or I have downloaded from the internet and I am unsure of the scanning software used. To date, I have had NO issues in rendering/zooming any pages in any of these documents and some of these files contain 1000+ pages.

Using the scroll bar at the bottom is fast for navigating through pages, or you can swipe/touch the screen to scroll from page to page.

Although the reader offers basic useable functionality, it is far from the professional application that it should be, given it is a native Adobe application.

Bookmarks, search, and markup abilities are sorely needed, along with the ability to have numerous .pdf's open at the same time. I also hope that in the future, I will be able to view/listen to embedded flash and .mp3 files within the .pdf files

Hopefully increased professional functionality will come with future updates or through 3rd party applications however, even as it currently stands, it IS useable....
    11-23-11 10:10 PM
    RepliGo Reader actually works great with the OS 2.0 beta, it supports bookmarks and annotations, and it renders pages 10x faster than the native pdf reader, wich IMO is painfully slow.
    11-23-11 10:29 PM
    There has been no change in the pdf status of the pb. Some folks don't seem to have problems as a few students have written about using it.
    In my research area most of the papers are available in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). The lack of basic functionality such as remembering which page was last accessed and only being able to open a single document at a time wreaks of not giving a d-a-m-n by Research In Motion and Adobe.
    11-23-11 10:32 PM
    In my research area most of the papers are available in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF). The lack of basic functionality such as remembering which page was last accessed and only being able to open a single document at a time wreaks of not giving a d-a-m-n by Research In Motion and Adobe.
    Can't really argue - it is a very anemic pdf reader from the "manufacturer" of pdf. I was amazed at how lacking it was and still is in features. Not being able to search a pdf file makes it nearly useless for my needs.
    11-23-11 11:50 PM
    I was really hoping that by now someone would have written a decent pdf app. Heck, Id pay good money for such and I'm sure others would, too. That, and the lack of bluetooth audio are the two main weak points of the Playbook in my opinion.
    11-24-11 09:14 AM
    we have now a very very good app..it's called qPDF ..greaaaaaaaaaat app
    07-15-12 05:59 AM
    We also have pdf reader which is also good. And the outfits/persons behind them are active in the forums.
    07-15-12 09:19 AM
    PDF Reader is really good and, as F2 posted, the developer is very active in the forum and responsive thru email. I highly recommend it.
    07-15-12 10:09 AM
    I just purchased PDF Reader. What a great little app. And from the looks of things, they have been doing some updates. Keep up the great work.
    07-15-12 11:54 AM
    School books come in pdf form now? Yikes, l'm obviously getting old.
    Wow - I must be old too. Next they'll be telling me that they've got rid of slate....
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 07-15-12 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 01:58 PM
    Wow - I must be old too. Next they'll be telling me that they've got rid of slate....
    Nah, they can't 'cause then there would be no way to "clean the slate." And no one "could chalk it up..."
    07-15-12 03:43 PM
    I am a fan of qPDF. I use for all types of pdf files from reviewing specs to marking up drawings in the field.
    07-15-12 07:57 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD